Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco bag-packers sent home for wearing GAA kits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I really wish people would use the thanks button rather then boosting their post count with informative posts like "agreed":rolleyes:

The problem really is that there is a fundamental difference in opinions. While looking up about the whole stadium naming fiasco I see this comment "Same thing happened after the War of Independence when IRA casualities were commemorated and the RIC/Black and Tans were forgotten or condemned as war criminals." (See here), We have one side thinking that the Black and Tans were somehow not that bad!? Either way I don't think that anyone is having a sense of proportion here.
    jimmmy wrote: »
    Agreed. Many people are happy to pack their own bags, if they are buying enough to fill a bag or bags. Charity donations should be outside the business premises.

This is a whole different argument.

And really has little to do with a community under-age sports team being dragged into a political argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Cliste wrote: »
    And really has little to do with a community under-age sports team being dragged into a political argument

If you want to complain about dragging politics in to sport, why
    not complain about how some GAA grounds etc are named after dead terrorists?

I agree with the poster who wrote "I would see the GAA collecting in their uniforms much the same as I might if a loyalist marching band was collecting in their uniform.
    Most people in such bands will argue that the political element is secondary, they enjoy the music, the craic, belonging to something.
    The fact is that both organisations are offensive to those outside of them. They appeal exclusively to one side of the community. They have glamourised terrorists in the past. In spite of this, there are decent people in both and it can be argued that they do good work in their respective communities.
    I still think that neither should be allowed to wear their uniform at supermarket tills. "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

If you want to complain about dragging politics in to sport, why
    not complain about how some GAA grounds etc are named after dead terrorists?

I have yet to condone such an action - I'll take the above as my cue to condemn the naming of stadiums etc that could be offensive (within reason - a thing not often found in Northern Politics)
    I agree with the poster who wrote "I would see the GAA collecting in their uniforms much the same as I might if a loyalist marching band was collecting in their uniform.
    Most people in such bands will argue that the political element is secondary, they enjoy the music, the craic, belonging to something.
    The fact is that both organisations are offensive to those outside of them. They appeal exclusively to one side of the community. They have glamourised terrorists in the past. In spite of this, there are decent people in both and it can be argued that they do good work in their respective communities.
    I still think that neither should be allowed to wear their uniform at supermarket tills. "

It's a sporting organisation, these are young children. And lets be fair now - most of the stuff being thrown at the GAA is a bit over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭daithi666

They appeal exclusively to one side of the community. They have glamourised terrorists in the past.

Strongly disagree with you there. Indeed, the GAA have been criticized for not taking a more hard line stance when it came to the troubles in the North, especially hurling players targeted for holding hurlies going to training or matches. For the most part they kept themselves to themselves. Any involvement by GAA people in extra curricular, political activities were most probably of their initiative and not sanctioned by GAA.

Again, branding these people as "dead terrorists" is your view point. In my view they are not terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Cliste wrote: »
    I have yet to condone such an action - I'll take the above as my cue to condemn the naming of stadiums etc that could be offensive (within reason - a thing not often found in Northern Politics)

It's a sporting organisation, these are young children. And lets be fair now - most of the stuff being thrown at the GAA is a bit over the top.

And those loyalist marching bands are musical organisations and they have young children involved. It's a valid comparison.

I don't like them one iota but I support their right to exist. I know loads of people involved with the GAA and they try to ignore the political element of it but if you push it with them, they'll admit it exists.

I have only ever considered two people who have been in Loyalist bands as friends. One of them I'd support to the ends of the earth, he is such a decent guy.

I'd turn on my heels if I saw one of their parades and I'd not be keen on them collecting in Tesco.

And I can understand why some people would feel the same about the GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

murfie wrote: »
    So what are you saying then we should call the GAA the AA in case Gaelic offends somebody!! I find it a ridiculous suggestion that the GAA would remove the very things that its based on to please a section of the community that wouldn't want to have anything to do with the GAA anyway.

The GAA is not the UN and if you don't want to join or participate in the association they are not forcing you to. Your suggestion is actually offencive to what the GAA is all about and set up for.

in this particular context, ie children from gaa club collecting funds in a public area.

its a load of nonsense with unionist making very lame excuses for their intolerance. they pis*ed and moaned when the orange order triumply marched down the non traditionalist route around drumcree etc.

these powere have got to get real. they have got to accept that the region also contains people of a different background. if they keep using the lame excuse of the past as their reasons then real progress is going to be made.

nationalist following the gaa have being treated like scum for far too long in the 6 counties, gaa clubs like crossmaglen a good example, hurly sicks have being banned etc, club houses raided.

the gaa has tried to move on, with the lifting of the bans on british forces etc from the game. what progress have organe order made?

what were the children actually doing? packing bags for sports equipment not for semtex or raising arms etc. what is the name of the gaa club and grounds, what is their crest like? how many actually complained.

i can understand why a business like tesco dont want hassle, but how would they react if it was an orange order group at tesco and nationalist made the complaint? would tesco listen to the nationalist?

as per usual unionist try to hold on to the past instead of going to the future. this has got damn all to do with the gaa's past and links to militism. its a clear a blatant act of reminding people who is boss in northern ireland.

do they realise that actions like this will not help to convince the young people of nationalist backgrounds to trust them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

its not a political symbol...its a charity which distributes to those of all creeds and political opinions. Many people gave their lives, for examople in WW2, so you and I have a decent quality of life.

Bag packers are often a nuisance etc, many people do not like them. The GAA is a well off sporting organisation , it should not have to send children collecting money like that, and in the eyes of many in N. Ireland some of its GAA grounds etc are named after dead terrorists.

Terrorists? Not in my opinion. I disagree with bag packers though, but shouldn't the same logic apply to some routes taken by orange bands? Aren't they offensive to nationalists?
    I've taken a wrong road in antrim 2 years ago and turned around (without realising at first) at an orange lodge with my southern plated car in july. Got abusive shouting and cars blowing horns for my mistake, is that tolerance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Tarzan007

in this particular context, ie children from gaa club collecting funds in a public area.

its a load of nonsense with unionist making very lame excuses for their intolerance. they pis*ed and moaned when the orange order triumply marched down the non traditionalist route around drumcree etc.

these powere have got to get real. they have got to accept that the region also contains people of a different background. if they keep using the lame excuse of the past as their reasons then real progress is going to be made.

nationalist following the gaa have being treated like scum for far too long in the 6 counties, gaa clubs like crossmaglen a good example, hurly sicks have being banned etc, club houses raided.

the gaa has tried to move on, with the lifting of the bans on british forces etc from the game. what progress have organe order made?

what were the children actually doing? packing bags for sports equipment not for semtex or raising arms etc. what is the name of the gaa club and grounds, what is their crest like? how many actually complained.

i can understand why a business like tesco dont want hassle, but how would they react if it was an orange order group at tesco and nationalist made the complaint? would tesco listen to the nationalist?

as per usual unionist try to hold on to the past instead of going to the future. this has got damn all to do with the gaa's past and links to militism. its a clear a blatant act of reminding people who is boss in northern ireland.

do they realise that actions like this will not help to convince the young people of nationalist backgrounds to trust them?
    Good post. Maybe if the GAA at their annual congress have a motion and put it through asking GAA supporters to boycott Tesco's throughout Ireland ( and just think of the amount of people from the south shopping in Enniskillen, Strabane, Newry never mind Sligo, Dublin etc). They'd change their tune pretty quick then. OK, the request would hardly bring Tesco's down to their knees, but I am sure it would have the public relations office going apesh!t :).

Lobster wrote: »
    Terrorists? Not in my opinion. I disagree with bag packers though, but shouldn't the same logic apply to some routes taken by orange bands? Aren't they offensive to nationalists?
    I've taken a wrong road in antrim 2 years ago and turned around (without realising at first) at an orange lodge with my southern plated car in july. Got abusive shouting and cars blowing horns for my mistake, is that tolerance?

Exactly! Now how would you feel if you went to buy your groceries and were confronted by them at the cash register?

I wouldn't be keen to see loyalist bands at the till as they don't represent anything I stand for. Still, the bands themselves operate within the law, do work for local kids and have a requirement for funding to buy their instruments etc.

The GAA should never have been let through the door in the first place like the loyalist bands should never be in future.

Tarzan007 wrote: »
    Good post. Maybe if the GAA at their annual congress have a motion and put it through asking GAA supporters to boycott Tesco's throughout Ireland ( and just think of the amount of people from the south shopping in Enniskillen, Strabane, Newry never mind Sligo, Dublin etc). They'd change their tune pretty quick then. OK, the request would hardly bring Tesco's down to their knees, but I am sure it would have the public relations office going apesh!t :).

in fairness to tesco, its not like they are the only one who pander to unionist qims. i can understand that they, as public business people wanted to nip the matter in the bud. for all we know it might have got nasty, tesco do have a responsibilty to the public for their safety and well being whilst they are in their grounds. but ye, it could have done better and ignored these relics of the past. but, i suppose one would need to be in the area at the time to know what the atmosphere was like.

i dont think putting a ban on tesco would look good in the eyes of the gaa, after all, in times like these, doing that means more jobs would go. i know of course, that did not bother dunnes stores workers in the 1980's of south africa and their oranges, but you know by now, for all the bono's in the world who prefer to deal with "sexy" issues abroad, they want no part of real issues at home.

its crap like this that cant be allowed to be an excuse for rocking the peace process. nationalist still have to work with them (unionists), its naturally going to take a long time for old habits to wear off.

if people wish to avoid tesco fine, but the gaa should not interfere (at least publicly,) if they did then they give people here and unionists who still think there is a us and them attitude and that gaa still is involved in political issues, a field day

• Advertisement

Exactly! Now how would you feel if you went to buy your groceries and were confronted by them at the cash register?

I wouldn't be keen to see loyalist bands at the till as they don't represent anything I stand for. Still, the bands themselves operate within the law, do work for local kids and have a requirement for funding to buy their instruments etc.

The GAA should never have been let through the door in the first place like the loyalist bands should never be in future.

why not? on both sides of the boarder, the GAA is the biggest sporting organisation in the country - be it with gaelic, hurling, handball, camogie, scór and other song & dance activities. if groups operate within the laws and respect the concept of tolerance be it religious, social or political then fine. as stated above in my previous post, the gaa people have being treated like dirt over the years up there, its only now that can openly express their background.

do you honestly think that if this country became an united entity even with consent of orange order etc,ulster-scots, loyalist - unionists groups would cease to exist? we are who we are and if these groups are to follow the democratic route then they should be allowed to exist side by side and be seen to do so. each of them have got to realise that the other has full and complete right (within exceptions) to carry out their activities without interference and intimidation.

why not? on both sides of the boarder, the GAA is the biggest sporting organisation in the country - be it with gaelic, hurling, handball, camogie, scór and other song & dance activities. if groups operate within the laws and respect the concept of tolerance be it religious, social or political then fine. as stated above in my previous post, the gaa people have being treated like dirt over the years up there, its only now that can openly express their background.

do you honestly think that if this country became an united entity even with consent of orange order etc,ulster-scots, loyalist - unionists groups would cease to exist? we are who we are and if these groups are to follow the democratic route then they should be allowed to exist side by side and be seen to do so. each of them have got to realise that the other has full and complete right (within exceptions) to carry out their activities without interference and intimidation.

All I'm saying is that I find the loyalists unpalatable and would not be happy to see them wearing their regalia when I am doing my shopping. Consider the following people that the GAA have named items after:

Martin Hurson Cup - Named after IRA hunger striker
    Mairead Farrell tournament - Named after IRA bomber
    Kevin Lynch Park - Named after INLA member
    Cumann na Fuiseoige - Has IRA symbols on its badge.

Now think about the loyalist bands who fly flags glorifying the UVF or UFF. Is there any difference?

All I'm saying is that I find the loyalists unpalatable and would not be happy to see them wearing their regalia when I am doing my shopping. Consider the following people that the GAA have named items after:

Now think about the loyalist bands who fly flags glorifying the UVF or UFF. Is there any difference?

Yes, there's huge difference. IRA of now and IRA of the past are two different things altogether. To prove my point read the book of Irish born head of St. Andrew's University: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/irsquod-have-joined-the-ira-in-a-heartbeat-says-principal-of-st-andrews-university-1712356.html

Now, if they named clubs after continuity or real IRA members that would be a completely different scenario.

If Tesco's ban GAA jerseys being worn by bagpackers they must also ban Rugby, hockey, and any other sporting organisation. The GAA are not in the same league as the Orange Bands. If that were the case do you think the Unionists of the North would have been happy to watch Irish Rugby played in GAA headquarters? GAA is a non-offensive sport. Any complaints by Unionists is not down to faults with the GAA, it's purely bigotry. Anybody trying to defend the Unionists point of view on this is ultra P.C. if you ask me.

daithi666 wrote: »
    Yes, there's huge difference. IRA of now and IRA of the past are two different things altogether. To prove my point read the book of Irish born head of St. Andrew's University: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/irsquod-have-joined-the-ira-in-a-heartbeat-says-principal-of-st-andrews-university-1712356.html

Now, if they named clubs after continuity or real IRA members that would be a completely different scenario.

The UVF has called a ceasefire, decommissioned weapons and entered the political process with the PUP. Leaving the bands aside for a moment, do you think it would be acceptable to call a soccer team after a UVF member who died while engaged in a bombing campaign? And would it be acceptable for that soccer team to pack bags in their jerseys?
    If Tesco's ban GAA jerseys being worn by bagpackers they must also ban Rugby, hockey, and any other sporting organisation. The GAA are not in the same league as the Orange Bands. If that were the case do you think the Unionists of the North would have been happy to watch Irish Rugby played in GAA headquarters? GAA is a non-offensive sport. Any complaints by Unionists is not down to faults with the GAA, it's purely bigotry. Anybody trying to defend the Unionists point of view on this is ultra P.C. if you ask me.

Let's be honest. The rugby fans of Northern Ireland come from the less socially disadvantaged areas and tend to be more progressive thinkers. Soccer is more of a sport from working class areas. Do you think the soccer fans who are unionists would be happy to watch players from their areas in Croke Park? Ask people from East Belfast near the shipyards whether they feel an affinity to the Irish rugby team and they'll say no.

You are right that the Gaelic Sports are not offensive. It is just the politics surrounding it that could be construed as offensive by certain people. 6 counties GAA also seems to take a more hardline approach than the rest of the island.

I am putting the GAA in the same league as the loyalist bands because they appeal exclusively to one side of the community in NI, they both glorify the taking of life for political aims and they both have a principal function which you could argue is the primary motivation for involvement rather than sectarianism.

i see your point, to respond to your question, no there is not much difference. they are celebrating people who kept loyal to "Ulster"

What does Cumann na Fuiseoige's badge look like?

what i should have said in the post that you responded too is that i myself would see no problems with either side collecting etc, so long as its within the law and in the spirit of complete respect to the other side and the public in general (i am not a member of orange order so i am not going to actually assume that they are all bigot etc)

however, i asked a question earlier, the club in question, what is their badge like, whats the clubs name and playing grounds called???

if its what i expect the answer to be, how does it have any relevance to your very good point above?

again, regardless, this does not make it any excuse whatsoever for unionst councillor to abuse his influence in the community! as far as i am aware, GAA clubs are legal and i understand that it is highely likely that the club in question had to, by law, uptain permission from the local police before carrying out the bag packing activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Get a grip. These were kids collecting for their club.
    BBC report wrote:
    Declan Callan said he and his nine-year-old twin daughters arrived at the store only to be told they would have to go home and get changed.

And if some nine year old pipe band members want to collect a few quid for their group why not just grow up and let them be?

i see your point, to respond to your question, no there is not much difference. they are celebrating people who kept loyal to "Ulster"

What does Cumann na Fuiseoige's badge look like?

what i should have said in the post that you responded too is that i myself would see no problems with either side collecting etc, so long as its within the law and in the spirit of complete respect to the other side and the public in general (i am not a member of orange order so i am not going to actually assume that they are all bigot etc)

however, i asked a question earlier, the club in question, what is their badge like, whats the clubs name and playing grounds called???

if its what i expect the answer to be, how does it have any relevance to your very good point above?

again, regardless, this does not make it any excuse whatsoever for unionst councillor to abuse his influence in the community! as far as i am aware, GAA clubs are legal and i understand that it is highely likely that the club in question had to, by law, uptain permission from the local police before carrying out the bag packing activity.

I have to make the point that the information about the various clubs and trophies was gained by me in a google search. I wasn't familiar with any specifics prior to that. I'm not familiar with any specifics around loyalist bands but I have heard it said about them flying loyalist terrorist group flags.

As I understand it the badge makes reference to the H Blocks.

I think we both agree that there are many similarities between the loyalist bands and the GAA. I am coming from the angle that I'd find seeing the loyalists there offensive so I'd presume others would find the GAA's presence offensive so it's better to not allow either. Your position is that both are legal organisations with a valid need to fundraise so let both of them go ahead with it.

The UVF has called a ceasefire, decommissioned weapons and entered the political process with the PUP. Leaving the bands aside for a moment, do you think it would be acceptable to call a soccer team after a UVF member who died while engaged in a bombing campaign? And would it be acceptable for that soccer team to pack bags in their jerseys?
    No, I don't think that would be right as they were not fighting for civil rights. You've got to understand the reasons why many of those men joined those organisations in the first place. Martin McGuinness is a perfect example of that. He came from Bogside, Derry and his involvement was as a result of government violence upon a rights parade. But, that is not to say all IRA members were fighting for such admirable ideals. There were some bad apples for sure! You could argue that fighting was not the way to go. Some former IRA members regret having been violent. But the fact is their ideals were for the good. What rights were the UVF fighting for?

I am putting the GAA in the same league as the loyalist bands because they appeal exclusively to one side of the community in NI, they both glorify the taking of life for political aims and they both have a principal function which you could argue is the primary motivation for involvement rather than sectarianism.
    The GAA glorify the taking of life for political aims? If that were the case do you think 'the progressive' middle class Rugby supporters of the North that you talk of would be happy to see Irish Rugby played in Croke Park. That's rubbish you talk of! Have you ever been to a GAA game, club or Croke Park? The GAA's main aim is to support culture and community spirit. Nowhere in any of my involvement have I been asked to kill, support any other organisation or partake in any unlawful activity.

I think you're confusing the GAA's support for Irish culture and lack of support for British culture with aggression for Britain. Two different things.

dvpower wrote: »
    And if some nine year old pipe band members want to collect a few quid for their group why not just grow up and let them be?

Because they are part of a movement which glorifies the Dublin and Monaghan bombings and countless other mindless atrocities against innocents.

I have to make the point that the information about the various clubs and trophies was gained by me in a google search. I wasn't familiar with any specifics prior to that. I'm not familiar with any specifics around loyalist bands but I have heard it said about them flying loyalist terrorist group flags.

As I understand it the badge makes reference to the H Blocks.

I think we both agree that there are many similarities between the loyalist bands and the GAA. I am coming from the angle that I'd find seeing the loyalists there offensive so I'd presume others would find the GAA's presence offensive so it's better to not allow either. Your position is that both are legal organisations with a valid need to fundraise so let both of them go ahead with it.

your point is correct, this is why tesco did what they did, in a way one could not blame them.

but the point i am making is, what links does the cub who bag packed in tesco got with IRA/INLA, whats their crest like, colours, name of team and name of place of ground. if there is none or no obvious ones, then the unionist councillor acted completely disproportionatly.

i wonder who started off the complaints. Its not for him to call the shots. i am assuming that police clearance was sought and obtained. if so, its for the police to decide what goes, not a mere biggot like the councilor. if he/she pays more attention to far more worthier issues like the state of houses and availability and other bread and butter issues of every down council work, then maybe he / she will make his/her name and get a ticket to stormont (then again we are talking about unionists here!!!). this party political coup was cynical and no more. the said councillor may want to have better regard for the European Convention on Human Rights which is linked to the good friday agreement - rights to free association etc.

• Advertisement

daithi666 wrote: »
    If Tesco's ban GAA jerseys being worn by bagpackers they must also ban Rugby, hockey, and any other sporting organisation

Amazingly, it seems they have
    Tesco has announced that it will no longer permit charity bag packers to wear sporting tops in its stores following the furore over GAA shirts being worn by kids at its Antrim outlet.

Because they are part of a movement which glorifies the Dublin and Monaghan bombings and countless other mindless atrocities against innocents.

How many nine year old kids are even aware of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings? Time to move on, don't you think?

fair enough, but we as nationalists should look after our own house, such as demanding inquiries from our government into allegations that state sources knew had intelligence about this. whats the swithwick tribunal about again? is that to do with the gardai?

what makes any of us so sure that these groups or the young people in them will share the same extreme attitudes as their uncle andy's and da's

but the point i am making is, what links does the cub who bag packed in tesco got with IRA/INLA, whats their crest like, colours, name of team and name of place of ground.

The club in question, St Comghall's has a round tower on its crest.

Here is their mission statement:
    St Comgall's GAC aims to be a strong sustainable GAA club rooted in its own facilities and allowing for the full expression of a confident sporting and cultural identity by the greatest number of the community it serves. This should encompass the full range of opportunities – Football, Hurling, Camogie, Handball, Cultural expression through Language, Music, Dance, Scor - thereby enhancing the lives of all the people and building the vibrancy in the community. No one shall be denied access to the facilities of St Comgall’sGAA Club on the grounds of gender, religion, ethnic origin or disability without just reasonable and proper cause.

The club in question, St Comghall's has a round tower on its crest.

Here is their mission statement:

quality website, they really put the effort in

well, then looking at the crest, colours and name of gaa park, i confirm my attitude of this.

1. people's sh*t3 talk about IRA involvement with the gaa does not wash here, in the context of this club and excuses for unionist's attitude
    2. What the politican did was the usual biggotry nonsense and a clear abuse of power and influence - basically telling people who the boss in northern ireland is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

2. What the politican did was the usual biggotry nonsense and a clear abuse of power and influence

Actually the politician had nothing to do with it - that was misreported.

Nodin wrote: »
    Actually the politician had nothing to do with it - that was misreported.

The BBC misreported that it was Cllr Adrian Watson that complained, not that a politician had complained. It seems that some politician did complain; it's just not clear which one.

Tecso should have told any bigot who complained about some young kids fundraising for a local GAA club where to shove their cusom. Instead, they folded to the bigots.

The BBC misreported that it was Cllr Adrian Watson that complained, not that a politician had complained. It seems that some politician did complain; it's just not clear which one.

Tecso should have told any bigot who complained about some young kids fundraising for a local GAA club where to shove their cusom. Instead, they folded to the bigots.

They didn't. They allowed the kids to collect, just not in their uniforms. They have since imposed a policy covering all sports. This is fair as no one group is covered and it will provide a harmonious environment for everyone.

They didn't. They allowed the kids to collect, just not in their uniforms. They have since imposed a policy covering all sports. This is fair as no one group is covered and it will provide a harmonious environment for everyone.

Of course they folded. A duty manager in a single store made a decision contrary to the policy (that bag packers wear their uniforms / strips) following pressure from some customers. Tesco subsequently changed the policy.

If some people are offended by 11 year old girls wearing the shirt of the local GAA club, then I say let them be offended. The harmonious environment that they want is not available to them.

Under the new policy, those people in the future will not know who is packing their bags until they reach the top of the checkout queue. They will then be come face to face with the subject of their offence (a kid from the local GAA club). What happens then? Expect a new thread on this issue in a few months time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭futurehope

daithi666 said:
    No, I don't think that would be right as they were not fighting for civil rights. You've got to understand the reasons why many of those men joined those organisations in the first place. Martin McGuinness is a perfect example of that. He came from Bogside, Derry and his involvement was as a result of government violence upon a rights parade. But, that is not to say all IRA members were fighting for such admirable ideals. There were some bad apples for sure! You could argue that fighting was not the way to go. Some former IRA members regret having been violent. But the fact is their ideals were for the good. What rights were the UVF fighting for?

Whenever I read something like the above I can't help but fall about laughing. :D I assume The UVF thought that they were fighting to force the IRA to stop killing people - surely a right to life is the most basic human right of all? Or perhaps they were fighting for the right of the majority in Northern Ireland to determine it's constitutional status which was being undermined by a truculent minority? :rolleyes:

Advertisement