Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco bag-packers sent home for wearing GAA kits

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Tarzan007

gmb wrote: »
    I find charity bag packers a pain in the arse regardless of what they are wearing and wish Tesco would ban them completely
    If you find them a pain in the arse - just ignore them.
    Bet your very popular at your local pub or at a party :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

junder wrote: »
    Most business in northern Ireland have to promote a neutral environment so all football/GAA tops are banned. However some stores take it to far last year TK max banned the wearing of poppys. However for the whingers amoung you its a good idea to cheack your facts before launching into MOPE mode

Ah, so it's 'taking it too far' to ban poppies, but to complain about innocent kids not being allowed to wear GAA jerseys is 'whinging'? How very fair and impartial of you. :rolleyes:

As an aside, I do think TK Maxx was wrong to ban poppies.

Breezer wrote: »
    It comes from the fact that the GAA was set up more or less as the sporting wing of Irish nationalism, flies the Tricolour at its matches, plays Amhrán na bhFiann as its anthem and heavily promotes the use of the Irish language. Some people are deeply offended by this ideology and these symbols, which is understandable when you consider they may have had family or friends murdered in the name of the same ideology by groups using the same symbols. Other people are just scumbags looking for a fight.

I think the GAA will eventually have to make some compromises on these issues if it wants to become a truly all-embracing community organisation in the North the way it is in the South. As a GAA fan and proud Irishman who completely rejects the IRA and wants to see a deep and lasting peace in Northern Ireland, I have very mixed feelings about this. It's not the GAA's fault that dissident republicans use the same symbols as it does. But until some sort of compromise is reached, this sort of thing will keep happening.

I do agree with you to an extent, but if somebody finds the idea of kids collecting for their local sports club 'offensive' then tough cheddar, tbh. This whole story just reeks of somebody (or some people) desperately trying to be offended.

I can see why offence could be cause, but it doesn't excuse the bigotry, imo.

I would see the GAA collecting in their uniforms much the same as I might if a loyalist marching band was collecting in their uniform...I still think that neither should be allowed to wear their uniform at supermarket tills.

But they were collecting for their local club so it just makes sense that they would wear the jerseys, no?

As for people going on about 'glorifying terrorists',I seriously doubt the kids in question were shouting 'Tiocfaidh Ar La' down in the local Tesco...if no offense was intended, then I really don't see why any should be taken.

If the shoe was on the other foot, we would have certain regulars here complaining about the terrible intolerance of the whole situation and rightly so. But no, once again it's turned into a ''IRA terrorist''thread. Honestly, trying to link 9 year olds collecting money for their local club to terrorism is completely laughable in my opinon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Acacia wrote: »
    Ah, so it's 'taking it too far' to ban poppies, but to complain about innocent kids not being allowed to wear GAA jerseys is 'whinging'? How very fair and impartial of you. :rolleyes:

As an aside, I do think TK Maxx was wrong to ban poppies.

I do agree with you to an extent, but if somebody finds the idea of kids collecting for their local sports club 'offensive' then tough cheddar, tbh. This whole story just reeks of somebody (or some people) desperately trying to be offended.

I can see why offence could be cause, but it doesn't excuse the bigotry, imo.

But they were collecting for their local club so it just makes sense that they would wear the jerseys, no?

As for people going on about 'glorifying terrorists',I seriously doubt the kids in question were shouting 'Tiocfaidh Ar La' down in the local Tesco...if no offense was intended, then I really don't see why any should be taken.

If the shoe was on the other foot, we would have certain regulars here complaining about the terrible intolerance of the whole situation and rightly so. But no, once again it's turned into a ''IRA terrorist''thread. Honestly, trying to link 9 year olds collecting money for their local club to terrorism is completely laughable in my opinon.

Let's be honest. Tesco's sole motivation in all things they do is to turn as much profit as they can.

They have no obligation to allow anyone to collect for any cause.

We have already established that people are likely to be offended, be that rightly or wrongly.

The money of the people being offended is as good as that of those who wish to see the GAA collecting.

Result is to keep all happy. The GAA club made 4k apparently.

I'd say Tesco did the best thing under the circumstances.

Let's be honest. Tesco's sole motivation in all things they do is to turn as much profit as they can.

They have no obligation to allow anyone to collect for any cause.

We have already established that people are likely to be offended, be that rightly or wrongly.

The money of the people being offended is as good as that of those who wish to see the GAA collecting.

Result is to keep all happy. The GAA club made 4k apparently.

I'd say Tesco did the best thing under the circumstances.

I do see your point, but it's the underlying bigotry that's the problem. If nine year olds have to put up about this kind of stuff, there's very little chance of reconciling the two communities up there. There's just going to be an ongoing cycle of intolerance and I think that's quite sad.

I know Tesco are out to make money, but there's nothing wrong with bag-packing for a charity/ community thing. I've done it myself for a charity before and most people were very generous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It's disgusting behaviour.

First they ban employee's from wearing an Easter Lilly, while letting them wear a poppy - (on an account of it being a symbol of war). What on earth is a Poppy then? A symbol of harmony and peace?

Secondly - Non-GAA teams were allowed to wear jerseys, this is sectarian behaviour at it's finest and a further testament of the civil inequality in the north.

They are all to happy to try and iron out any element of Irish-ness in the north of "IRELAND".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

dlofnep wrote: »
    Secondly - Non-GAA teams were allowed to wear jerseys, this is sectarian behaviour at it's finest and a further testament of the civil inequality in the north.

They've stopped all sports teams from wearing jerseys.

It's disgusting behaviour.

First they ban employee's from wearing an Easter Lilly, while letting them wear a poppy - (on an account of it being a symbol of war). What on earth is a Poppy then? A symbol of harmony and peace?

They are all to happy to try and iron out any element of Irish-ness in the north of "IRELAND".

Two wrongs don't make a right.

You can guarantee they don't give a toss about Irish-ness in the north of "IRELAND". They care about £ and € in the entire island.

Boston wrote: »
    They've stopped all sports teams from wearing jerseys.

You obviously missed this line then.
    The retailer normally asks bag-packers from sports clubs to wear their jerseys so the public will now who they represent and will have a choice whether to donate or not.

You obviously missed this line then.

Past tense Vs present tense, stop twisting. They used to allow all sports teams wear jerseys, they have now stopped all sports teams from wearing jerseys while collecting.

And where does it state that in the original article? I'm not twisting anything. At the time of the incident, they were allowing teams to collect for charity, and were required to wear their jerseys. But problems only occured when GAA jerseys were worn, due to a complaint made by a Unionist councillor - What merit could he possibly have for complaining? And where is the updated article that states they now have banned all sports teams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

I don't know how anyone can try and justify the stance of Tesco or the people who took offense. I don't care if it was the local Protestant scout club or the local Gaa club collecting money, they weren't doing any harm. This absolutely stinks of intolerance and goes entirely against what we're trying to achieve in the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

All I'm saying is that I find the loyalists unpalatable and would not be happy to see them wearing their regalia when I am doing my shopping. Consider the following people that the GAA have named items after:

Martin Hurson Cup - Named after IRA hunger striker
    Mairead Farrell tournament - Named after IRA bomber
    Kevin Lynch Park - Named after INLA member
    Cumann na Fuiseoige - Has IRA symbols on its badge.

Now think about the loyalist bands who fly flags glorifying the UVF or UFF. Is there any difference?

To answer your question, in the minds of a proportion of the customers of the shop in Co. Antrim , I would guess not - some who would almost definitely lost family or friends as victims of the IRA / INLA. Bag packers can sometimes make the odd comment / be unwanted even at the best of times.

jimmmy wrote: »
    To answer your question, in the minds of a proportion of the customers of the shop in Co. Antrim , I would guess not - some who would almost definitely lost family or friends as victims of the IRA / INLA. Bag packers can sometimes make the odd comment / be unwanted even at the best of times.

Right because I'm sure the nine year old bag-packers were firing off pro- IRA statements to anyone who would listen...:rolleyes:

Sure, the connection could be made in the minds of such people who would take offense, but in all fairness did they really have to take it out on innocent children?

It was petty-minded intolerance, and why people are trying to excuse it, I don't know.

On a more general not, since people seem to think bag-packers are unwanted , a nuisance, etc, you could just, y'know, ignore them and not give them money, if they annoy you so much

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

And where does it state that in the original article? I'm not twisting anything. At the time of the incident, they were allowing teams to collect for charity, and were required to wear their jerseys. But problems only occured when GAA jerseys were worn, due to a complaint made by a Unionist councillor - What merit could he possibly have for complaining? And where is the updated article that states they now have banned all sports teams?

dlofnep he's right they've banned all sportswear. Tesco are after cash, they know if they were sectarian about it they'd lose revenue in nationalist areas.

It didn't say so in the original article, however that one article isn't the sole source of information on this topic. If you go back through the thread you will find a link to an article stating tesco's new policy, the onus is on you to read the thread before posting. I do no dispute how this problem came about, but tesco are treating everyone equally.

Boston wrote: »
    It didn't say so in the original article, however that one article isn't the sole source of information on this topic. If you go back through the thread you will find a link to an article stating tesco's new policy, the onus is on you to read the thread before posting. I do no dispute how this problem came about, but tesco are treating everyone equally.

Not before giving into intolerance and ignorance and then to save face banning all sports gear. Well done Tesco's:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

The UVF has called a ceasefire, decommissioned weapons and entered the political process with the PUP. Leaving the bands aside for a moment, do you think it would be acceptable to call a soccer team after a UVF member who died while engaged in a bombing campaign? And would it be acceptable for that soccer team to pack bags in their jerseys?

Let's be honest. The rugby fans of Northern Ireland come from the less socially disadvantaged areas and tend to be more progressive thinkers. Soccer is more of a sport from working class areas. Do you think the soccer fans who are unionists would be happy to watch players from their areas in Croke Park? Ask people from East Belfast near the shipyards whether they feel an affinity to the Irish rugby team and they'll say no.

You are right that the Gaelic Sports are not offensive. It is just the politics surrounding it that could be construed as offensive by certain people. 6 counties GAA also seems to take a more hardline approach than the rest of the island.

I am putting the GAA in the same league as the loyalist bands because they appeal exclusively to one side of the community in NI, they both glorify the taking of life for political aims and they both have a principal function which you could argue is the primary motivation for involvement rather than sectarianism.

Good points well made

Interestingly Tesco have dropped the price of groceries in Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim, Monaghan, Cavan and Louth by up to 25% by importing groceries from the North.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8033869.stm

It is a pure drive for profit. Crazy that Louth qualifies but Meath doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Its a good thing we didn't change our vat rate in the emergency budget isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

The UVF has called a ceasefire, decommissioned weapons and entered the political process with the PUP. Leaving the bands aside for a moment, do you think it would be acceptable to call a soccer team after a UVF member who died while engaged in a bombing campaign? And would it be acceptable for that soccer team to pack bags in their jerseys?

Let's be honest. The rugby fans of Northern Ireland come from the less socially disadvantaged areas and tend to be more progressive thinkers. Soccer is more of a sport from working class areas. Do you think the soccer fans who are unionists would be happy to watch players from their areas in Croke Park? Ask people from East Belfast near the shipyards whether they feel an affinity to the Irish rugby team and they'll say no.

You are right that the Gaelic Sports are not offensive. It is just the politics surrounding it that could be construed as offensive by certain people. 6 counties GAA also seems to take a more hardline approach than the rest of the island.

I am putting the GAA in the same league as the loyalist bands because they appeal exclusively to one side of the community in NI, they both glorify the taking of life for political aims and they both have a principal function which you could argue is the primary motivation for involvement rather than sectarianism.

good points well made
    Ask yourselfs how you would feel if your saw a protestant band collecting money, i use the term protestant because some of your might be surprized to know that not all flute bands are loyalist and not all bands are 'blood and thunder', protestant bands can be divided into 2 catergorys 'blood and thunder' bands and 'melody' bands but could you tell the difference, i very much doubt it.

• Advertisement

good points well made
    Ask yourselfs how you would feel if your saw a protestant band collecting money, i use the term protestant because some of your might be surprized to know that not all flute bands are loyalist and not all bands are 'blood and thunder', protestant bands can be divided into 2 catergorys 'blood and thunder' bands and 'melody' bands but could you tell the difference, i very much doubt it.

I wouldn't really care, as I would would recognise their right to collect money, just as the GAA team did. I certainly wouldn't be ringing up Tesco complaining about how 'offended' I was.

good points well made

Come on junder, if a protestant band was collecting I couldn't give a damn. If they packed my bags and were friendly, I'd throw them a couple of quid. It's 2009 ffs, when are people going to stop this 'us and them' thing and show a bit of tolerance. They were nine year olds collecting for their local GAA sports club. Why not see it for what it is, instead of trying to point score.

Terrontress makes a point of working class unionists not being as 'progessive thinkers' as middle class unionists. Rather than just except that, why not challenge it? Challenge people to think outside the box, watch a GAA game, look at things from a broader pov.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

good points well made
    For a start, the GAA is a wee bit different to the marchning bands thing. However...........

.......... if they were politely collecting at the till, doing a good job packing and being friendly I would have no problem with them. After all, sooner or later most of these bands will lose the fire and brimstone edge and just become musical groups

In fact, the best thing for all of us would probably be if loyalist marching bands did start to normalise and do things like pack bags

Advertisement