Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making some one redundant on a first in first out basis

Options
  • 29-04-2009 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

Hi

Is it legal to make someone redundant on the basis of who was the last manager to join the firm.

Thanks

DB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭romah

When you are talking about a redundancy you are talking about the "position" being made redundant rather than the "person in that position"

Companies have various ways and means of deciding redundancy

If a company does not see a need for the position in future ..it would be reasonable ...couldn't give you a view on legal or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

I'd agree with the above post, it's usually a case of there is no requirement for that position. in the case that you have 5 people working at the same role then there is now only a requirement for 4 so again it's still a case of that position is made redundant.

how the company decides is up to them but it must be fair, and if it was Me I'd probably be keeping those there longer coz of the skills, knowledge and expertise they have gained and the time, effort and money invested in them,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SueWho

The flip side of dade's point is that sometimes companies prefer to let go the people who have been there longer because they have become too costly. A common example is the big accountancy companies letting go those on higher salaries but they hold onto the "monkies" who are cheaper and can eventually learn the work of those seniors that were let go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

SueWho wrote: »
    The flip side of dade's point is that .....

spot on a lot of companies will do that especially now with the downturn and such.

the problem i see with this sort of practise is that on the upside when they need people that can (a) think (b) work with no direction and (c) be highly productive and go beyond what is required of them the organisation wont have those resources. you may also see that they lose knowledge, that old timer could be the only guy that knows about that old system or process or how everything links up so they lose knowledge and capabilities and that will bite them on the ass big time when they need it.

personally if i was a manager and one day when that happens I'll be fighting to keep the skills (and the loyalty) etc and look to reduce costs elsewhere

Advertisement