Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

actuations

• 29-04-2009 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

hi folks, i am thinking of buying a second hand 30 D. i have asked the seller to tell me the number of actuations but he cannot see the figures. i am right in thinking that they should be visable in the viewfinder

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Nope, you can't see the number of actuations. It is possible that Canon service can, but not a user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Can you take a pic and check the exif data....actuations are on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Nforce wrote: »
    Can you take a pic and check the exif data....actuations are on this?

Yep that's the way to do it. Opanda software can tell you how many shots were taken by looking at the exif.

Yep that's the way to do it. Opanda software can tell you how many shots were taken by looking at the exif.

Where is it given?

I can't see it. I have a 40D, and it doesn't show actuations.

I have a number of EXIF viewers, including Opanda, and it doesn't show an actuation count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Try using Exiftool (http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/) - its not pretty but it works. It gives the shutter count from my Nikon D90 when I throw a raw (NEF) file at it. Should work with JPEG too.

Its not very sophisticated - its just a command line utility. You just drag and drop a raw/jpeg onto it and it will spew out a load of text with the results. copy and paste it into a text editor and search for "shutter count". Works on both Windows and Mac OS X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭steelydan99

Paul theres a piece of software that reads the 40D actuations, just run the program and plug in the camera and it tells to the last shot taken.

I'll have a look for it later and let you know

Paulw wrote: »
    Where is it given?

I have a number of EXIF viewers, including Opanda, and it doesn't show an actuation count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭steelydan99

Its here and works with the EOS utility program that came with Canon

http://astrojargon.net/40dshuttercount.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Paulw wrote: »
    Where is it given?

This is data for a Nikon D200, Canon data should be the same?....

[IMG][/img]exif.jpg

Nforce wrote: »
    This is data for a Nikon D200, Canon data should be the same?....

[IMG][/img]exif.jpg

Nope, the Canon EXIF doesn't show a shutter count.

Tried that other app, and I've had 11938 actuations on the 40D.

Unfortunately, cancount won't read the actuations on my 1D.

Advertisement