Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lens Repair

• 29-04-2009 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

My 17-85 IS decided to go faulty on me over the weekend. The aperature doesn't work below 35mm, it's second hand so no warranty.

Just wondering what the average price for lens repairs are, what experiences people have had, recommendations on where to get it fixed?

As an alternative how would the 18-55 IS compare or does the price speak for itself?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

As a rough guide on repair.
    I've a lens in for repair at the moment, I sent it off to the UK to a large camera repair centre called Fixation, they service both canon and nikon. I emailed them and they responded with a quote next day, they did say it would be a couple of weeks as the replacement part was out of stock. My lens is nearly 20 years old and some internal elements become fogged and needed to be replaced, £48 for the replacement optical group and £65 for labour to strip and replace the lens element and clean the lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

I have the 18-55 is canon kit lens. Got it for €70 second hand. Well worth it. It's so light so can take anywhere - and it does give good images. The IQ is comparable with the 17-85. Some reviews say it is better IQ. Think I saw a lot of purple fringing on a 17-85 sample pic in a review.

Weight, price and unfavourable reviews steered me from pursuing a 17-85 any further.

Hope this is some help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Thanks guys,

I think I'll send it off and see what the repair cost would be, if it's much more than the 18-55 IS I think i'll just get one new rather than repairing my lens. I do like the feel of the 17-85 though.

Advertisement