Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howard Webb

Options
  • 29-04-2009 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

Howard Webb has admitted he made a mistake in awarding Manchester United a penalty against Tottenham on Saturday. Webb has come under fire after ruling that Spurs goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes brought down Michael Carrick in the box, when replays clearly showed he took the ball first.United were 2-0 down at the time, but Cristiano Ronaldo converted the spot-kick and the rejuvenated Red Devils went on to record a crucial 5-2 victory.

However, Webb spoke to former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher in the wake of the furore and admitted he had got it wrong.

Gallagher revealed: "I talked to Howard and he knows he made a mistake.

"He didn't think the goalkeeper had got the ball. He thought that Carrick had touched the ball sideways and then the goalkeeper brought him down.

"I don't think it was an easy decision as people say it was, but it's clear to anyone that it was a mistake.

"But these things can happen to anyone and I think it's important we move on from it."

And Gallagher has refuted suggestions that FA Cup Final referee Webb should be punished for the decision that helped United regain top spot in the Premier League.

"Anyone could have fallen foul of making a mistake like that, we've all done it," he added.

"Punishing him won't do him any good and it won't do the clubs any good either, because the game is over now.

"Of course he won't lose the FA Cup Final. It was one decision in his career and you have to accept that people make mistakes."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

5-2, they were going to be beaten anyway, penalty or no penalty. Momentum had Man. United and Carrick in the box to get the undeserved, incorrectly awarded penalty. Spurs were still 2.1 up, but Man. Utd. scored 4 more somewhat easily. It's the 2nd time time that Spurs have been screwed at Old Trafford recently, but this wrong penalty decision is no where near as bad as the goal that never was. Noone needed a replay that night to see it was a clear goal. This time, the ref did what he thought was right, but I firmly believe that Man. United would have scored soon after anyway, and that they already had the momentum before the penalty because they put some good moves together, especially the great pass to put Carrick in.

Fair play to the ref for admitting his mistake, which is all he can do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

Howard Webb has admitted he made a mistake in awarding Manchester United a penalty against Tottenham on Saturday. Webb has come under fire after ruling that Spurs goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes brought down Michael Carrick in the box, when replays clearly showed he took the ball first.United were 2-0 down at the time, but Cristiano Ronaldo converted the spot-kick and the rejuvenated Red Devils went on to record a crucial 5-2 victory.

However, Webb spoke to former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher in the wake of the furore and admitted he had got it wrong.

Gallagher revealed: "I talked to Howard and he knows he made a mistake.

"He didn't think the goalkeeper had got the ball. He thought that Carrick had touched the ball sideways and then the goalkeeper brought him down.

"I don't think it was an easy decision as people say it was, but it's clear to anyone that it was a mistake.

"But these things can happen to anyone and I think it's important we move on from it."

And Gallagher has refuted suggestions that FA Cup Final referee Webb should be punished for the decision that helped United regain top spot in the Premier League.

"Anyone could have fallen foul of making a mistake like that, we've all done it," he added.

"Punishing him won't do him any good and it won't do the clubs any good either, because the game is over now.

"Of course he won't lose the FA Cup Final. It was one decision in his career and you have to accept that people make mistakes."

I'm getting really tired of this now...the man made a mistake! Get over it! I know it probably gave united the momentum they needed but conceding 4 more goals?!?!

Only have the player to blame for that. Bear in mind it was Old Trafford- A difficult place to go and get a result. I don't think Webb is biased or anything, just an honest mistake.

Here's a bit of trivia for you though- Webb has sent off 4 players this season-
    Mark Noble- West Ham
    Adebayor- Arsenal
    Vidic -Man Utd
    Ronaldo -Man Utd

Half the players he sent off this sseason were united ones! It can go both ways, so can we stop complaining now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

Strange how there's been little mention of Carrick celebrating his penalty decision....bastard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭neilisagam

he was only with us for 2 seasons. he prob wouldnt celebrate against west ham and in anyways hes been at united now longer then he was at spurs

Advertisement