Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sauce for steak

• 29-04-2009 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking for a bit help with making a sauce for a steak fillet tonight. Have a bottle of red wine lying around and would like to try and use this. BTW if its important, I plan on having the steak with boiled new season potatoes and an assortment of veg (mainly mushrooms!).
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

fry up some mushrooms in butter, add brandy (flame it), cream and mustard, salt pepper. nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

after cooking the steak in the pan cook some onions and ur musrooms setthem a side and with the heat still on pour maybe half the bottle of wine in the pan and deglaze and keep reducing untill it resembles a syrup. take a couple of knobs of butter and stir in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Fry the steak in butter and a tiny bit of veg oil (to stop the butter buring) foe 90 seconds each side and then put it in a hot oven (180c) for 5 minutes and then rest for a further 10 minutes somewhere warm.

Add a finly minced shallot and clove of garlic to the pad and brown then reduce heat to low, cook for 3-4 minutes, dezlaze the pan with a glass of nice fruity white wine reduce by 2/3rds, add about half a glass of cream, reduce by half, add some brine soaked green pepper corns (dried wont for for this recipe, but it is is all you can get add ceacked black pepper with the shallots) and cook for another 2 mins, you ca thicken it with arrow root or potato starch (corn flour will work too but leaves a taste) and serve over your your steak. not every day food but very nice. [edit] If you add a handful of whatever mushrooms you have laying around when you turn the pan down after borwning the shallot and let them soften/color for 2-4 minutes and then carry on and add the cream, reduce and forget the pepper corns this will make a nice mushroom sauce too. it wont need any salt as the butter contains enough and you should have seasoned the meat before and during cookign anyway, add a little pepper if desired and a teaspoon of dejon or whole grain mustard if you wanna give it a little somehting extra/

Almost forgot, add the resting juices of the steak to the sauce just before serving as they will really add to the meat flavours.

Also, swampy's recipe is simple and would be very tasty.
    [/edit]

Rocknchefs suggestion would be my first choice by the way but I wanted to give you another suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I agree, Rocknchef's version would be the way to go with what you have.

Starving now....

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Sweat a large bannna shallot, when sweatted add 5 chopped up sundried tomatoes and 2 pinches of fresh tarragon. add some good quality fresh veal/beef stock. warm through. tasty. enough for 4/5 people there.

But in my eyes, a plain veal stock is better than anything you will ever put on your beef, once its good beef.

Also i read above, using cream, arrowroot to thicken etc..... cream sauces are a killer on beef. thickening with arrowroot is also the wrong way out. reduce if you must use cream but arrowroot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

just use wholegrain mustard on the side and dip your steak in !!! yummy !!!

Sweat a large bannna shallot, when sweatted add 5 chopped up sundried tomatoes and 2 pinches of fresh tarragon. add some good quality fresh veal/beef stock. warm through. tasty. enough for 4/5 people there.

But in my eyes, a plain veal stock is better than anything you will ever put on your beef, once its good beef.

Also i read above, using cream, arrowroot to thicken etc..... cream sauces are a killer on beef. thickening with arrowroot is also the wrong way out. reduce if you must use cream but arrowroot?

I wouldn't thicken it myself but somepeople seem to think that if it doesnt look like something from a knor packet then you're doing it wrong.

The recipe should have a galss of beef stock in it too which I'd reduce by half...

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Seaneh wrote: »
    I wouldn't thicken it myself but somepeople seem to think that if it doesnt look like something from a knor packet then you're doing it wrong.

The recipe should have a galss of beef stock in it too which I'd reduce by half...

Thank fook;) but if people are asking for tips/help/idea's etc, i'd prefer to tell them a right way as opposed to a handy,easy,lazy way out. We won't have an argument over it, we all do things in different way.

Thank fook;) but if people are asking for tips/help/idea's etc, i'd prefer to tell them a right way as opposed to a handy,easy,lazy way out. We won't have an argument over it, we all do things in different way.

and like i said earlier, 9 times out of ten I'd use a wine reduction or a simple onion marmalade rather than a thickened sauce or a cream based sauce.

Advertisement