Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Forum Annoucement - Permbanned Users

Options
  • 29-04-2009 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

We are beginning the process of reviewing those who are permbanned from the soccer forum.

This process will allow them to make a case to us (the soccer mods) privately for consideration for re-entry into the forum.

This amnesty is only for those who are PERMBANNED from the forum, those on 6 month bans will not be considered.

The process will begin with those who wish to regain access to soccer identifying themselves and making their case for reinstatement.

Such users should PM me with details on the incident surrounding their banning and a statement for consideration while we review the case.

This PM will be posted for review by the soccer mods (and in some cases the admins) so be sure you're happy to have the PM viewed by this group.

Once the review is completed , we will notify those successful either by PM or a post in the Soccer Access Request forum (a follow up to the cross post below) and post details of the next stage then.

We expect the review to be completed by June 1st.

Cross posted from http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055551224
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

While I don;t post in any sport forums aside from cycling I must say this seems pretty damn fair to any users who have been permabanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I don't post there often but It's a good call from the mods and admins as some of the bans I've seen there have been ridiculous.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Great call lads, shows fairness from the boys and girls in the forum.

Shame about the cross posting though, seen as its a sitebannable offense :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

They either deserved their bans or didn't. If they were rightly banned they should be left so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

nipplenuts wrote: »
    They either deserved their bans or didn't. If they were rightly banned they should be left so.

They deserved bans.

However, we now have a system which doesn't really deal in perm bans (at least not in the first season) so it is pretty harsh to leave them a victim of the old system. Everyone else got amnesty last summer, so why not these guys?

We'll review their cases and decide on whether we'll allow them apply to soccer again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Anyway, its good for some people to be reconsidered a few years down the line. Some people deserved the ban, but might have copped on a lot and grown up to rejoin the community as decent posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

..should have increased that from 6 months to 5 years..

i think its safe to say 5 years is long enough to change ones life and grow up a little.

Im constantly bemused as to why there is so much hassle in running a sports forum and why people cant talk football without getting into some sort of twist about a football team and end up getting banned.

Would i be correct in saying that the soccer forum has a higher ban rate than 90% of other forums here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

snyper wrote: »
    Would i be correct in saying that the soccer forum has a higher ban rate than 90% of other forums here?

Ban per traffic? Probably not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Im constantly bemused as to why there is so much hassle in running a sports forum and why people cant talk football without getting into some sort of twist about a football team and end up getting banned.

I don't know what it is about football but it seems to turn grown men into idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Sully wrote: »
    Shame about the cross posting though, seen as its a sitebannable offense :P

Tell you what, you notify the admins about GuanYins spam, then ill notify them about you breaking the signature rules :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

It would be great if we could just leave this thread to do its job, i.e. help spread the word for permabanned posters so they avail of the opportunity if they wish, rather than see it as an opportunity to discuss moderation, or get sly little digs in at football fans.

kthxbye

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It would be great if we could just leave this thread to do its job, i.e. help spread the word for permabanned posters so they avail of the opportunity if they wish, rather than see it as an opportunity to discuss moderation, or get sly little digs in at football fans.

kthxbye

And by bumping it up to the top of the page and keeping it on the first page we are helping to spread the word. Are we not?

turgon wrote: »
    Tell you what, you notify the admins about GuanYins spam, then ill notify them about you breaking the signature rules :D

Whats wrong with me sig?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

rather than see it as an opportunity to discuss moderation, or get sly little digs in at football fans.

kthxbye

Ive no problem with the moderating

Im an avid football fan as opposed to a fanboy. My comments are based on observing the hassle that is created by fans that take things too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If I get banned in the next day or two can I avail of this system?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What do you think?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

nipplenuts wrote: »

Probably wont be to long till we see people banded from other forums looking for the same thing.

Rules are there for a reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Even more weird, is the fact that most Irish football fans seem to get on okish, even rivals, but the lion's share of hassle seems to erupt over extreme geographic rivalries mostly emanating by people who are not from, and have rarely even visited, those geographic locales. :D

Good call on the 'amnesty', btw. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

kearnsr wrote: »
    Probably wont be to long till we see people banded from other forums looking for the same thing.

Rules are there for a reason

What people want and what people get on boards are often two very separate things.

Rules are there for a reason, that is correct. They are decided by the forum mods, and applied by them as well. In this case, we as mods are prepared to listen to posters who may wish to regain access, based on their approach to that we may or may not grant that access.

There are plenty of examples of posters having been given second chances on this site, including some who were site banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Sounds like the Good Friday agreement of the Soccer Forum

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

No.
    I'll make sure it's perm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement