Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign based landlord rent relief - worth the hassle?

Options
  • 29-04-2009 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

I am wondering if its worth my while trying to obtain rent relief for 3 years in a property obtained through an estate agent but paid fro directly to an english based landlord.

i have read and heard horror stories about people ending up having to pay 200euro per year as they havent like me been aware there was any difference between renting from an irish and foreign based landlord..

any tips or advice would be welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭uncanny

I'd say it's not up to the tenant to determine the residency status of the landlord unless you personally witnessed him/her being outside the country for 183 days in a year.

The landlord's tax affairs are their own business.

Give the Revenue the address of the tenancy and the landlord's name so you can get your relief, and let the Revenue worry about the LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

I'm not sure if that's a great idea - if the landlord lives overseas, I think the revenue expect you to deduct the tax, and pay it to the revenue yourself, and pay the balance. I doubt you'd have a problem claiming the relief, but you might have to be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    I'm not sure if that's a great idea - if the landlord lives overseas, I think the revenue expect you to deduct the tax, and pay it to the revenue yourself, and pay the balance. I doubt you'd have a problem claiming the relief, but you might have to be careful.
    Correct.

Advertisement