Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is McDonalds in Portlaoise Opening?

Options
  • 29-04-2009 6:18pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a question to the Laois boards.ie heads. When is the new McDonalds under construction near Dunnes Stores opening for business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Just a question to the Laois boards.ie heads. When is the new McDonalds under construction near Dunnes Stores opening for business?

Who cares .... What i want is a big Family Bucket from KFC.... when's that opening? :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i want a texicana.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

I was wondering this too. Can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I'd prefer a Burger King.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So, no-one knows just when MaccyDs is opening? Well, I presume it will be over the Summer as they build those drive- thru buildings in super quick time.

I really, really wish the International House of Pancakes (IHOP) would come to Ireland. Their pancakes are a pure taste orgasm....:pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So, no-one knows just when MaccyDs is opening? Well, I presume it will be over the Summer as they build those drive- thru buildings in super quick time.

I really, really wish the International House of Pancakes (IHOP) would come to Ireland. Their pancakes are a pure taste orgasm....:pac::D

Ah jesus, we're already in a recession, IHOP (Come in hungry go home happy!) would close down the country. Everybody would be in the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 chabby

Havent heard a thing about it - will post if i hear any news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Anything that breaks the Supermacs monopoly will be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Anything that breaks the Supermacs monopoly will be a good thing.

Really?

I'd much rather the irish chain than the American one

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

It's actually be an Irish franchise so there's no need for patriotic crap about it!

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    It's actually be an Irish franchise so there's no need for patriotic crap about it!

Do you know how McD's works?

The franchisee may well be Irish, but the Land/Brand and proportion of sales belongs to the corporation based out of Obama-land
    See here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald's#Business_model

Who cares?! It's going to be way better than Supermacs slop.

Competition is good. Supermacs have had it their way for too long.

Do you know how McD's works?

The franchisee may well be Irish, but the Land/Brand and proportion of sales belongs to the corporation based out of Obama-land
    See here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald's#Business_model
    As does all of Supermac's...profits go to one place...what's your argument?!

kmart6 wrote: »
    As does all of Supermac's...profits go to one place...what's your argument?!

All of Supermacs profits go to Ireland, into the organisation founded by Pat McDonagh, included a significant repatriated profit from the USA.

McDonalds, however, repatriates it's profits back to America.

The argument is that Buying McDonalds helps the American rather than Irish interests, and Portlaoise with it's 33% unemployment rate should be buying Irish more so than most other areas.

33%? I don't think it is that bad.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    33%? I don't think it is that bad.

Thats what they said in RTÉ R1

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

All of Supermacs profits go to Ireland, into the organisation founded by Pat McDonagh, included a significant repatriated profit from the USA.

McDonalds, however, repatriates it's profits back to America.

The argument is that Buying McDonalds helps the American rather than Irish interests, and Portlaoise with it's 33% unemployment rate should be buying Irish more so than most other areas.

should mac donalds hire say, 20 persons from the portlaoise area, doesnt that negate the fact that the profits are going back to the states??? or would it be better to hold onto these (as yet non-existant) profits, and continue to pay these people social welfare benefits???

as you will often hear, we are a small open economy, we need foreign direct investment to continue to grow our economy. We have a direct competitor to mac donalds in supermacs, so anyone who is 'profit patriation' inclined has a choice...... theres nothing at all wrong with allowing a multinational business open in a local area.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fona

So, to get back on topic here... Has anyone heard when it's opening. The rumour I heard was it was due to open for the June bank holiday weekend. But clearly that didn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

How Irish is mc donalds?

Burgers - most of mc donalds burgers sold throughout Europe are Irish beef

Cheese - most of the cheese used in mc donalds around europe is Irish

Eggs for Irish restaurants - All Irish

Coca cola - concentrate for europe all made in Ireland (ballina)

Chicken for irish restaurants - Cargill in Castleblaney

So whilst its not top notch fodder - mc d's are a huge employer in ireland both directly & indirectly

• Advertisement

Open today!

fona wrote: »
    Open today!

Really?! Any opening day promotions going on?

Excellent.

Real competition for Supermacs at last.

Wasn't actually in there. Just saw the big ol sign over the door.

I'm just hoping they still have those glasses when I hit the place on my way home from the gym.

Ah yes.. burn that fat and then McDonald it right back in there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

popped in on my way home and have two glasses to show for my trouble ;)

gotta say, far play to the staff for managing any sort of service with the crowds. Worked in Mickey d's myself in my student days and it was only ever that busy on Paddy's day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

gotta say, far play to the staff for managing any sort of service with the crowds. Worked in Mickey d's myself in my student days and it was only ever that busy on Paddy's day.

I find this funny, in a funny, peculiar sort of way. What does it say about us and our town in a wider context that we go gaga over the opening of a McD's? We must be one of the last major towns in the country to get a McDonald's. Those glasses will be major collector's items :)

Why will the glasses be?!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭joe_dunne

The glasses are gone im afraid.

Joe Dunne
    Traditional Martial Arts in Portlaoise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

gotta say, far play to the staff for managing any sort of service with the crowds.

were they there for food, or for jobs :p

Advertisement