Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes 190e (classic or future classic)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I was offered one of these recently,a mint 1990 2litre auto with two years test for 1500 quid,need front brake discs,but is a lovely car otherwise,kinda toying with the idea of taking it.
    How much would brake discs be?
    Bought this this morn,its a lovely comfy car on the road even though its lowered,ill run it for the summer and see after that.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/881984

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

But its white! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭maidhc

Bought this this morn,its a lovely comfy car on the road even though its lowered,ill run it for the summer and see after that.

Well if you are selling it let me know your plans with the AMG alloys!

Btw my Benz is so low with the sportline suspension you have to avoid most speed bumps or you will leave an autobox behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Thats a nice car but I prefer factory standard, that been said the wheels are nice.

Well wear & enjoy the summer !

Thanks lads,yep,i know it white and low,but thats the way it came,i know the car and its sound so i dont mind too much.I might raise the front as im not a huge fan of lowered cars,the original springs came with it.That said the ride is quite good,much better than many low cars iv driven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Looks like a nice clean motor, but again I hate modified mercs, I don't even like th 190s that have a spoiler. A friend of mine bought one a while back and gave two weeks deblinging it the previous guy probably gave 6 months putting it how he liked it. All a matter of taste really:D

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

theirs one of these for sale on totalopel !

http://www.totalopel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1879

1990 190e

this is his ad !!!!!

Hi lads - something else I`ve decided to sell.
    I recently picked up a mint 190E Merc with 100K genuine miles.
    The car is more or less spotless condition. It drives as new - the only thing it would require in the future is a wheel bearing on front passenger side. It's not noisey but can be heard humming as rest of car is silent. It's an 1.8 petrol to the best of my knowledge - I was promised the log book but it never came. No NCT as I was intending registering it in the north. I can't emphasise just how good a runner this car is - I drove it for a few weeks & it never missed a bat & is surprisingly easy on juice. I can't confirm but believe previous owner had from new & brought it over from England & registered it in south till he sold it about 4 mths ago. It's grey in colour (non metalic) and has red cloth interior, again in excellent condition. Mercedes alloys. Last of the proper Mercs. Offers close to €750 even though that's a tad less than it stands me. 1990 on Cavan reg

i know the fella that has her &he,s dead sound , so she,d be as good as he says it is:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

Looks good, the white is nice once kept polished, like AMG's. Enjoy.

maidhc wrote: »
    Well if you are selling it let me know your plans with the AMG alloys!

Btw my Benz is so low with the sportline suspension you have to avoid most speed bumps or you will leave an autobox behind you.

If your car has still the original Merc 'sportline' springs & shocks you should really have no problems as this suspension set up only lowered the standard car by 20mm. I suspect something is worn like shocks, bushes or strut top mounts etc.

Looks good, the white is nice once kept polished, like AMG's. Enjoy.
    I didnt like the AMGs when i first saw it but they are growing on me.
    Paint needs a good cleaning,seems to be mostly its original.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I am sure the 190E is one of the last well made Mercs but it has dated very badly in recent years imo. The E class of the same or later vintage presents far better value and is just as satisfying to own.
    I am sure parts would be easier to come by too.
    I was mad for a 190D back in the day but was terribly disapointed when I drove one - a manual. It was a total lorry with no power - perhaps that has clouded my judgment.

If it was the 2.0 version 72 bhp towing about 1.4 tonnes would indeed cloud your judgement! The mnaual box (which I had) is indeed a dog - long throw, narrow gait notchy. Yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pmg007

Cañitas wrote: »
    i used to own a 91 auto 190e in black...great car but went onto the w123 which was better. the 190e developed a hole in the radiator hose which i kept meant to get fixed until i blew the engine at the airport roundabout...i since have developed a nervous tick with looking at the engine heat dial... never forget that goddamn day...the girlfriend at the time probably doesnt either..

I had an '85 190d for a while but went back to the w123 which i much preferred . The 190 was a lot smaller inside and the plastic mouldings and bumpers looked cheap for a merc.

I was mad for a 190D back in the day but was terribly disapointed when I drove one - a manual. It was a total lorry with no power - perhaps that has clouded my judgment.
    Mine is a 2.0 Petrol auto,i cant complain really,power seems plenty adequete.Though i tend to drive autos with less haste than manual cars.

Being honest about it,i cant see why anyone would buy a manual one of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Nice Merc carchaeologist - see it around quite a bit and its a very clean looking example.
    I am also one of those originality nerds. I had a terrible job when searching for my E220 Coupe - so many were horribly modified. Everyone asks me why I have not changed the alloys for the AMG ones but that would ruin this car imo.

Also is a white Merc a No No? - I have always considered white Mercs stunning almost in any model. To get a nice E220 Coupe in that colour is the icing on the cake for me.

IMAG0011960x720jpg.jpg

Thanks alfa,saw you in the 78 'sud the a few weeks ago too,great looking car.
    Its all down to personal preference really what wheels you put on the car,if i bought the car standard i would more than likely leave it that way.

Not sure why white is a no-no,if the paint is in good shape and kept that way its grand imo.

White is for boy races in ****ty old Toyotas/BMWs IMO (for what little thats worth!). Dark colours esp on Mercs for me.

Colour is unimportant imo especially considering the the few bob we are talking about here.

Better to buy a good car in the 'wrong' colour rather that a poor car in the 'right' colour..................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

Mike65, point about rust is correct especially if it's a UK import due salty roads.

1. Water ingress into the boot - very common, caused by rear screen seal perished and sunroof drains coming adrift at the exit points on each C pillar at the exterior air vents. The seal is the main issue.
    Also rear lamp seals & boot lock button seal perish, again allowing water ingress to occur into the boot.

2. Sills & jacking points - check for rust, advisable to inject waxoyl or similar which is very easy to do via the rubber grommets and the rubber jack points.

3. Plastic cladding (doors, wings & rear 1/4 panel) all rust traps, only way of correctly checking is to remove them.

4. Inner front wings to front panel - check for rust again.

5. Battery tray - suffers from rot, drain hole beside can get blocked.

Others items: Heater matrix gets blocked giving poor hot air , wiper assembly should lubricted, fuel pump relays €80 fail as do OVP €120 (over voltage protection) relays which effect fuel injection etc, blocked fuel filters are not unknown €20 and worn dizzy cap €18 & rotors €10 are common (use Bosch). Window switches & motors pack up. Rattle on start can be worn engine mounts €45ea.

Suspension: Rear links, 4 ea side, front wishbones & ball joints

Drivetrain: Prop rubber couplings x 2, centre bearing. Diffs get noisey but will go on forever. Rear subframe mountings 4 in total.

Steering: Idle arm, drag links & damper become worn.

That should give you a good idea give you a good idea of what to look for. The most important part is rust.

a dizzy for 18 lids, cost me 45 last year

old boy wrote: »
    a dizzy for 18 lids, cost me 45 last year

Why?

• Advertisement

Colour is unimportant imo especially considering the the few bob we are talking about here.

Better to buy a good car in the 'wrong' colour rather that a poor car in the 'right' colour..................
    Thank you,my thoughts exactly,1500 quid for a car that seemed to be in mint condition when i first saw it,iv spent most of the day cleaning it inside and out and can honestly say it has the condition of a three year old normal car,not a nineteen year old.Much better than i thought it was when i bought it.And i can tell you,thats a first for me for sure!!lol!!:p

I think i will stick to these neo classics in future!!:D

White looks poxy on a lot of cars and they are dead ducks as far as reselling goes so the trade avoids them. I quite like it on the Mercs though especially W201/W124's.

Colour wouldn't be that important, though I'd avoid yellow/beige or the like. I would buy on spec and condition and I would avoid manuals like the plague. The later Mercs MY01 onwards recieved a far improved shift but still nowhere near the slick BMW manual.

The auto's just suit their nature far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Love these cars
    BTW What does one lube the windscreen wiper with ? I have never done that on my 230CE.

I am only after replacing the subframe bushes + bars on the rear of my car, big job but not that difficult. The car goes like a dream now... no more 'squishiness' from the rear ;-)

subframe

My Benz

I just used 3 in 1 oil on any I have had and never had a problem. Actually it was the very first thing I did on my last two after the first W202 gave me trouble here.

MercMad wrote: »
    The auto's just suit their nature far better.
    Yep..exactly.
    Anyone have a handbook for one of these(1990 model year)

franksm wrote: »
    Love these cars
    BTW What does one lube the windscreen wiper with ? I have never done that on my 230CE.

Ok, the best method to initally to lube the wiper assy is to:

Remove the complete assy and drill a small at the base and spray white grease in. While the assy is removed lubricate all the wiper linkages. Also remove the wiper arm and spray WD40 etc down the shaft.

Yep..exactly.

Suggest you try the handbook specialiats in the UK www.books4cars.com etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

franksm wrote: »
    Love these cars

I am only after replacing the subframe bushes + bars on the rear of my car, big job but not that difficult. The car goes like a dream now... no more 'squishiness' from the rear ;-)

subframe

My Benz

Ho Ho Frank - gosh, that reminds me ! Would you believe I found a set of plans for making one of those up, yesterday? Where/how much was that jack, in the end ? (might get one for the H-D)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Yep..exactly.

Yep theres a haynes manual going round, any questions just ask.

Oh if you see a mint 93 azure blue 2l with manual box, give it a wave, it once belonged to my aul fellow! He still has a framed picture of it somewhere :)

Advertisement