Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes 190e (classic or future classic)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭melbourne

Does my one count as a classic yet? She must have been one of the last batch, recession proof motoring and they do have a bit of class providing they are original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Very tidy, it is an LS or "exklusive" spec? Quite a few were in the last 12 months.

Its a classic when the value of the vehicle stops falling and starts rising ;)

Yea she is an Exclusive, but I had to remove the badge, it looks a bit on the tacky side. Its a 1.8 manual and is running well, I had to get the head done a while ago which cost a few bob but it was worth it as I won't be selling it. The car came in from the UK a few years back and is fairly clean and it passed the NCT first time around. I have a few years to go before it stops losing money but it still beats the hell out of driving around in a brand new avensis or mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Only after reading this thread now, gorgeous car Carchae! I've always had a soft spot for 190's. A cosworth will be in my possesion some day:D

Get up some more pictures of yours, love the colour btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

That navy one for sale at €1100 looks like a decent car, despite being manual it would be worth a punt. Just passed NCT and loads of tax (worth €500 alone). It appears to have dark tinted galss though.

Love that silver one, looks very well Melbourne !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

galwaytt wrote: »
    Ho Ho Frank - gosh, that reminds me ! Would you believe I found a set of plans for making one of those up, yesterday? Where/how much was that jack, in the end ? (might get one for the H-D)

heh heh

Well, this thing was only 29STG at the Makro wholesalers in Belfast. Did the trick - I was able to remove and install the whole subframe + diff + axles by myself with it

Looks exactly like this, in case my Facebook images didn't work before:

ATV_Motorcycle_Lift.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

CB4_1391549_3_1456990.jpg

86 Irish reg W124 on Carzone today, must be one of the first reg'd in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Lovely 190 Melbourne, looks most original and well kept. Not sure what you paid for it but it's certainly not depreciating like the 06/07 and 08s. Hope you enjoy it and I'm sure when you decide to part with it, there will be a few merc enthusiasts out there waiting to buy.
    Incidentally quite a few of the people that I know that have mercs (particularily classics or future classics) have more than one.:rolleyes:
    So if you have a good enough one to sell, there's always a buyer.

Thanks for the comps lads, I learned my lesson years back when I sold a mint Manta GTE for about £1000. If only I had of kept it but sure such is life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Blue850 wrote: »

86 Irish reg W124 on Carzone today, must be one of the first reg'd in the country

I hate that reflective boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Only after reading this thread now, gorgeous car Carchae! I've always had a soft spot for 190's. A cosworth will be in my possesion some day:D

Get up some more pictures of yours, love the colour btw.
    Thanks LM
    Will do,hopefully the weekend,been doing some cleaning over the last few days.Engine bay was filthy and the car needed a good valet.Problem is its been lowered massively and grounds on speed humps,but i dont want to go with full height springs either as they look like they are on stilts.So not sure of a plan of action yet,its grand when im on my own in the car,but with passengers its a problem.

Yours looks good melbourne!
    Didnt these come out around 83?Irish reg is nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

here last month: http://young-classics.mercedes-benz-classic.com/

there is now a 'Young Classics' section beside the museum, which included a 190 Cosworth. Yum, v. nice. And also 41k !!

Fantastic links under the 'cars for sale' at the above - the photo's alone are fantastic.

You can rent or buy them from the factory direct now too. Great idea !

And, if you have something interesting yourself - they'll even buy it off you ! I wonder if they'd like one of those 600's mentioned on here lately.......?? :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

590485.jpg

Mercedes Cosworth with 260 bhp turbo conversion. Lots of history. The owner even keeps a record of when it gets petrol and gets washed.

Blue850 wrote: »
    Mercedes Cosworth with 260 bhp turbo conversion. Lots of history. The owner even keeps a record of when it gets petrol and gets washed.

If only...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Mosselman turbo and installation would cost nearly as much as he's asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

mike65 wrote: »
    The Mosselman turbo and installation would cost nearly as much as he's asking.

Iirc, the Mosselman kit installed was about £3k plus back 20 years ago. They don't do it anymore but there is no problems getting a kit installed today at the same cost or there abouts with 260'ish bhp an easy target on a 2.5-16 and more importantly similar torque figures but with standalone EFI, 300bhp (230bhp per ton) is an easy target with 100% drivability. Some of the Swedish owners are getting 4-600bhp!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭f4fay

Hi Guys New Here ! and here's a pic of my 2.3-16 !
    c006.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 dr_gonza_attorney

i bought a black 1992 190e 1.8 ltr its probably one of the cleanist around. best car i ever bought must upload pics

Some shots of mine this morning..
    Davesmerc006-1.jpg

Davesmerc007.jpg

The lowness is killing me,makes driving a disaster as im constantly looking for bumps and potholes...:rolleyes:

f4fay wrote: »
    Hi Guys New Here ! and here's a pic of my 2.3-16 !
    c006.jpg

Looking very well as usual Marty. How's it running for you?

• Advertisement

Davesmerc006-1.jpg

Davesmerc007.jpg

The lowness is killing me,makes driving a disaster as im constantly looking for bumps and potholes...:rolleyes:

Complete re-think on both suspension and wheel/tyre combo me thinks if your not on the best of roads (abroad) !

Gorgeous lads, both of them! Is she a bit higher on the back carchae?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I've just been bitten in the backside by the jealousy bug

Onkle wrote: »
    I've just been bitten in the backside by the jealousy bug

+1

You can't beat a nice 190. I'll bide my time until they're 30 years old :D

Gorgeous lads, both of them! Is she a bit higher on the back carchae?
    Thanks lads,
    Seems to be..i must put it on the lift and see exactly whats been done to it,i was told front and rear lowering springs have been fitted,though it seems to have been just the front,and the guy who i bought it off binned the original ones..:rolleyes::mad:
    Complete re-think on both suspension and wheel/tyre combo me thinks if your not on the best of roads (abroad) !
    Yep..its actually not too bad on the road,its not particularly rough compared to many lowered cars,main prob is when theres more than me in it it tends to rub the front arches over certain bumps.If there was just a small bit less offset it would be grand.I know you can get the arches rolled,but im not sure if that would even do.Might just hammer them outwards with a medium sized lump hammer.....*joking!*
    You can't beat a nice 190. I'll bide my time until they're 30 years old biggrin.gif
    Ill sell it to you in 2020 so,though that seems like science fiction years into the future..and 1990 cars will be vintage..weird!

Ill sell it to you in 2020 so,though that seems like science fiction years into the future..and 1990 cars will be vintage..weird!

I'm going to hold you to that! Or whenever you are selling it for that matter!

Edit: But not too long, don't want it to becoming rare and valuable :P

I'm going to hold you to that! Or whenever you are selling it for that matter!

Edit: But not too long, don't want it to becoming rare and valuable :P
    No bother lad!
    Though rare an valuable are two different things! lol!

Yep..its actually not too bad on the road,its not particularly rough compared to many lowered cars,main prob is when theres more than me in it it tends to rub the front arches over certain bumps.If there was just a small bit less offset it would be grand.I know you can get the arches rolled,but im not sure if that would even do.Might just hammer them outwards with a medium sized lump hammer.....*joking!*

Ideal overall suspension set up imo for your car would be standard Sportline springs, B4 Bilstein shocks & 15x7 alloys with 205/55 tyres, gearing is spot on too with this set up. I would expect the car could be driven smoother and faster over bad A roads and our 'normal' B roads and also benefit from a nicer steering response & feel. Worth looking into.

By the way it's looking well.

Ideal overall suspension set up imo for your car would be standard Sportline springs, B4 Bilstein shocks & 15x7 alloys with 205/55 tyres, gearing is spot on too with this set up. I would expect the car could be driven smoother and faster over bad A roads and our 'normal' B roads and also benefit from a nicer steering response & feel. Worth looking into.

By the way it's looking well.
    Thanks sir,appriciate it.
    Yep,i need a motor that is good on B roads,its no good otherwise.steering response is ok though with what i have,very little tramlining or bumpsteer,which i was surprised about.A friend has a 93 BMW 3 series with big wheels that i find impossible to drive due to tramlining and bumpsteer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭maidhc

This is my yoke. 2.6 Sportline. Unmolested. 147k miles. 3 previous owners, the first owned it 10 years, the second for 8. Bought new by a large developer in South County Dublin, sold thereafter to a Professor of Eyes in the Mater Hospital. Not sure what happened then, but bought it from a guy on Boards a few months ago for €550.

It is in good condition, but has suffered a little from neglect in the past few years. The alloys need to be refurbed, but I don't like them. The boot is badly sprayed, and the bonnet lacquer is peeling. The rear bumper seems to be loose and it needs a new grille. Otherwise perfect.

Mechanically it is good save for a split water pipe. It needs a bit of TLC, auto is slightly rough, and I'd image a few bushings need to be done. It got a H/G recently enough. Good news is the ABS, Airbag, and ASD lights are behaving as they should.

Interior is excellent save for a few window switches and a little wear on the drivers seat.

It handles like something on rails, and is genuinely quick. It is a little low though, moreso than my Capri anyway.

SD530105-1.jpg
    SD530108.jpg
    SD530106.jpg

Advertisement