Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes 190e (classic or future classic)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭melbourne

Well to wear F4FAY and Carchaeologist, good to see there not all rusting away, Maidhc, I had been watching that one for sale on adverts but the tax would have been a killer for me, she is still a nice car and those wheels would be my one and only choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I like that maidhc,the 2.6 must be a good little steamer.Good to see you are looking after it.
    It is a little low though, moreso than my Capri anyway.
    Low?..it towers over mine!lol!;):)
    I presume the 2.6 was a rarity in this country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep, baby benz with an engine that cost so much to tax and insure kept them at a premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lovely baby benz, maidhc. What a bargain at €550!

I actually do like those alloys. In general I prefer the stylish and elegant alloys MBs tend to come with compared to say the finicky, spoky style of BMW alloys

190e-25-16-5-600x800.jpg
    Is the fire extinguisher a standard fitment,mine has one the same as above?

• Advertisement

I noticed that! Not as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭maidhc

I presume the 2.6 was a rarity in this country?

Well according to the Indo the first owner of my car had 133 million to her name in 2004, a mere four years after selling it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

maidhc wrote: »
    Well according to the Indo the first owner of my car had 133 million to her name in 2004, a mere four years after selling it!

Your car's retail price in '90 was about £24k in the UK and if you wanted one you paid full whack, no discounts! Plus, Sportline, Airbag ,ASD, stereo etc. Now your looking at somewhere in the region of £27k and maybe a bit more. How much that was here in Ireland, God only knows but a lot, as much as a W124 300E anyway!

BTW, fire extingusters were optional.

I estimated that when the car I bought was new, you could have bought a small 2 bed rural bungalow for same.

mike65 wrote: »
    I estimated that when the car I bought was new, you could have bought a small 2 bed rural bungalow for same.

Not surprising. My Grandfather bought a Aud 80 TDi in 1992 (finding it head and shoulders over a 190d 2.0). It was £25k punts. A neighbour built a 3 bed bungalow (on a site he got for free in fairness) for 22k the same year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Guess its time to show off my 1988 190E 2.6. Don't know how much this one cost new in the UK in 1988 but the list of options include Air Con, Leather, Heated seats, Electic seat adjust, Cruise control, ASD, Alloys, Headlight wash wipe, Sunroof.
    Don't know how to put images in such that they are imeadiatly viewable on the thread but these are worth looking at.
    Guess with the options the price must have been over £30K???

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Dermo123 wrote: »
    Guess its time to show off my 1988 190E 2.6. Don't know how much this one cost new in the UK in 1988 but the list of options include Air Con, Leather, Heated seats, Electic seat adjust, Cruise control, ASD, Alloys, Headlight wash wipe, Sunroof.
    Don't know how to put images in such that they are imeadiatly viewable on the thread but these are worth looking at.

Copy the link for the image and paste it between these two IMG*]  Take out the star after the link has been pasted, and repeat this for the five pictures.

Stunning car.

You have a fantastic interior. Cream leather with heated seats and both electric!

Sheer luxury! :D

I'm getting slightly nostagic for my old one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

mike65 wrote: »
    Sheer luxury! :D

I'm getting slightly nostagic for my old one.

Did yours go to the great M50 in the sky Mike or did you sell it on. I saw a veri similiar one driving around Dublin a couple of months ago

Well done your dead right it was over £30k, see below.

Right, just for a laughs,

Base car. £23,500
    Auto 1,000
    Alloys 870
    Arm rest front 124
    ASD 900
    Cruise 330
    Heated front seats 392
    Met paint 570
    Elec.seats 1380
    Air.con 2150
    Leather 1570

Total 32,786 plus stereo & delivery charges in Sept. 1990. As this is a '88 car deduct somewhere between 5-7.5%. H/l/w/w & s/roof were standard!

^Thats a good comparison there!!
    Just rreading wikipedia,
    It says for the UK and Irish market a special edition 190 was released for the 1993 model year. The car was given the badge name 190LE though on the rear boot lid it read 190E (on the left hand side of the lock) and LE on the right hand side. Roughly 1000 LEs were produced and each one came with a large A3 sized certificate giving each car a unique number.
    LEs were available in three colours only; Azzuro Blue (blue/purple), Brilliant Silver and Rosso Red (Burgundy). The Azzuro blue coloured cars came with a grey checked cloth interior, the silver ones with black checked cloth and the Rosso Red with biscuit/cream checked cloth.

Anyone know of any of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Carchaeologist, I was in the spotty teenager-fest that is Halfords in Tralee at the weekend. They have a Haynes manual in stock for the Merc 190.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

^Thats a good comparison there!!
    Just rreading wikipedia,
    It says for the UK and Irish market a special edition 190 was released for the 1993 model year. The car was given the badge name 190LE though on the rear boot lid it read 190E (on the left hand side of the lock) and LE on the right hand side. Roughly 1000 LEs were produced and each one came with a large A3 sized certificate giving each car a unique number.
    LEs were available in three colours only; Azzuro Blue (blue/purple), Brilliant Silver and Rosso Red (Burgundy). The Azzuro blue coloured cars came with a grey checked cloth interior, the silver ones with black checked cloth and the Rosso Red with biscuit/cream checked cloth.

Anyone know of any of these?

..............yeah Wikipedia is wrong .They were listed as "LE" on the sales literature but always badged as "Exklusive" written in a joint script on the right hand side of the boot.

My own previous net browsing suggets the "Exklusive" tag was only used in Ireland. This issue came up on the UKs top w201 fan site and while LE specs were known the "Exklusive" tag wasn't, the only examples quoted were in Ireland.

Here's a thread on the subject

http://s14.zetaboards.com/mercedes_190_club/topic/217210/1/

• Advertisement

MercMad wrote: »
    ..............yeah Wikipedia is wrong .They were listed as "LE" on the sales literature but always badged as "Exklusive" written in a joint script on the right hand side of the boot.
    Iv seen the Exklusive badges in that fancy script on the boot alright,but not LE,thats why i was wondering about the wikipedia article,someone will have to change it!!:p
    The azzuro blue is a great colour.
    And another question,my car,english import,but still badged as a 190E has electric windows front and rear,but two irish cars iv seen around the same vintage dont,as in the rears are manual.
    Is it a case of the irish cars having a lower spec as ususal?

Iv seen the Exklusive badges in that fancy script on the boot alright,but not LE,thats why i was wondering about the wikipedia article,someone will have to change it!!:p
    The azzuro blue is a great colour.
    And another question,my car,english import,but still badged as a 190E has electric windows front and rear,but two irish cars iv seen around the same vintage dont,as in the rears are manual.
    Is it a case of the irish cars having a lower spec as ususal?

......the importers for Ireland and UK were totally independent so they would decide on their own spec. depending on what they felt was correct, pricewise, for each market. Even my fathers old '94 C200 did not have the electric windows as standard.

Carchaeologist, I was in the spotty teenager-fest that is Halfords in Tralee at the weekend. They have a Haynes manual in stock for the Merc 190.
    They had two..now they have one;):P

Still looking for a 1990 year owners handbook if anyone has any leads.

They had two..now they have one;):P

Still looking for a 1990 year owners handbook if anyone has any leads.

Try Tony Booth at: www.tonyboothmanuals.com

I just picked up a bit of a project. Its a basic car, manual (uugh) no extras, and it has been laid up in a field for 2 1/2 years. Connected the jump leads and away she went.

Going to spend some time washing and polishing it up, then service, tax & NCT. I reckon it will look well since the body is actually extremely straight. Hardly a dent or scratch on it, save for 2 small bits of damage which I will touch up.

Its got 146k on it and is sweet as a nut.

I'll start a seperate thread with before 'n after. I think I have the bug back again and have been scouring the earth for a decent 2.5 16V !!

190Efr.jpg
    190Err.jpg

I'll start a seperate thread with before 'n after. I think I have the bug back again and have been scouring the earth for a decent 2.5 16V !!

The best option is the UK for a 2.5-16.

Yeah I know, but there is a huge difference in price/quality.

I'll bide my time and eventually get a nice one, not going to jump or do too much digging at the moment !

Yeah I know, but there is a huge difference in price/quality.

I'll bide my time and eventually get a nice one, not going to jump or do too much digging at the moment !

Ok, but there is no need to be 'scouring the earth' to get a decent one. Good luck.

• Advertisement

Ok, but there is no need to be 'scouring the earth' to get a decent one. Good luck.

.......yes I suppose I was being over dramatic...........as usual ! :D

Guess what....................I locked all the keys inside it last night ! All locked, battery flat, bonnet closed !! :(

Anybody got suggestions or should I just break a vent glass ?

Advertisement