Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes 190e (classic or future classic)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭8~)

If you have the logbook get a decent locksmith to make a key from the VIN. Sounds like you need a spare anyway!

Another alternative is to try a few similar Merc keys in the lock - when locks are old and well worn a similar key might work.

Breaking glass is a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Have you something like a rubber hot water bottle and a pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The car has had an alarm to the central locking since new so I doubt the lock has been used much at all, it certainly didn't feel worn.

I tried 3 different Merc keys in it but they would budge it.

I could try the locksmith way, but I dont have the book back yet.

I dont have a water bottle or a pump, I have a compressor but I'd probably spend more time messing with all that trying to get an adapatyer than I would replacing the window.

Anyway have a used glass organised and I'll try the wedge in the door and coat hangar trick later on.

Typical ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Try a mercedes dealer if you are not in a hurry,they said they will copy a key for mine from the chassis number.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭8~)

Try a mercedes dealer if you are not in a hurry,they said they will copy a key for mine from the chassis number.

Butcha need to get the bonnet open to get that if y'don't have the logbook to hand.

All this talk of 190s (and W124s) is making me want one. Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

Mercmad,

I'm sure You've spotted the 2.5 16v on donedeal:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/906889

Seems very cheap.......compared to the UK...

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

theirs one up the road from me, 1985 gold 4 door irish .

been parked up a while , looks ok must get a pic of it .
    id say he,d sell it too :)

8~) wrote: »
    All this talk of 190s (and W124s) is making me want one. Why?
    Because they are great....:D:cool:

manta mad wrote: »
    theirs one up the road from me, 1985 gold 4 door irish .

been parked up a while , looks ok must get a pic of it .
    id say he,d sell it too :)

..........let me know the details if you can !

That car on done deal looks interesting but the VRT could be a killer as the have that car in the "special interest" classification so it may not go merely on book value.

For me it manual so no dice. Also I couldn't live with a black car !

BTW...................I tried for a hour with the door wedged open and a hangar. I could get onto the handle, I could hook it, pull it but just could not open it. It's quite stiff and the wire wasn't strong enough, it kept unravelling.....................so I hit it with a hammer.

Now I have glass everywhere because despite having the tape in one hand to prevent the glass spreading....................I had the sharp hammer in the other !! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pmg007

Spotted in the dock yard in Cobh Co Cork. Was told its not for sale.Not that I'd want it.. I'd rather my 123's.DSCN5144t2slider.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Don17

I've a black 2L automatic 190e all electrics
    Bought it off pegasus classics in the Uk 2 years ago ( think he's gone bust now).
    Have to say its a great car and never had a minutes trouble with it.
    Flew through the NCT, only thing i'd say is that its a bit heavy on the old juice but i've a fairly short commute to work so its not too bad.
    and tax is a bummer too!
    Must put up a few pics.

Am toying with the idea of getting a bmw e30 to replace it,
    What are peoples opinions ?
    Would it be a step down in regards build quality and reliability .
    Think an E30 would be cheaper to run and more fun to drive

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

Don17 wrote: »
    I've a black 2L automatic 190e all electrics
    Bought it off pegasus classics in the Uk 2 years ago ( think he's gone bust now).
    Have to say its a great car and never had a minutes trouble with it.
    Flew through the NCT, only thing i'd say is that its a bit heavy on the old juice but i've a fairly short commute to work so its not too bad.
    and tax is a bummer too!
    Must put up a few pics.

Am toying with the idea of getting a bmw e30 to replace it,
    What are peoples opinions ?
    Would it be a step down in regards build quality and reliability .
    Think an E30 would be cheaper to run and more fun to drive

Thanks

If it's a 320i then it will be a sweeter motor than the 4cyl in your Merc. Other than that I don't really see real any advantages in changing to an E30 good car that they are. A 318i might be worth considering, bear in mind as cruiser the 190 is hard to beat and I reckon the build quality of the Merc is about the best money could buy at the time.

As usual it horses for courses and all a slight bit subjective. I coinsidered an E30 M3 first but purchased the Merc instead and have no regrets.

Now if you do decide to buy the E30 you'll just have find one in as good a nick as your Merc...............

Yeah the 6 cylinder BMW engine makes it far sweeter than the Merc but the E30 has a basic rear axle compared to the 5 link Mercedes set up. Also as mentioned the W201 190 was a very high quality car, they dropped after that, and the BMW's of that era were nowhere near the Mercs as far as quality and durability is concerned.

The E30 is smaller too but I still have a soft spot for them all the same, fancy a nice 325i Sport.

As far as the M3 goes, thats quite a different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭maidhc

If it's a 320i then it will be a sweeter motor than the 4cyl in your Merc. Other than that I don't really see real any advantages in changing to an E30 good car that they are. A 318i might be worth considering, bear in mind as cruiser the 190 is hard to beat and I reckon the build quality of the Merc is about the best money could buy at the time.

As usual it horses for courses and all a slight bit subjective. I coinsidered an E30 M3 first but purchased the Merc instead and have no regrets.

Now if you do decide to buy the E30 you'll just have find one in as good a nick as your Merc...............

Evil evil E30. Get a 2.6 190e. :)

(Actually as an aside:

I was looking at my 190, and compared to the Corolla AE80 we had it is an amazing car, as in from a different planet despite being of similar dimensions internally. It also cost about 5 times as much new.

My mother is currently looking at a new(ish) car. And the 2008 Mondeo and C Class are very similar, and if anything the Merc is less impressive, but doesn't cost a whole pile more. The playing field really has levelled in recent years.)

maidhc wrote: »
    Evil evil E30. Get a 2.6 190e. :)

Actually I have a '91 2.6 auto as well, the best alround 190 even if it lacks a bit punch and focus over the 2.5.

Can anyone recommend me an engine oil and spark plug type for mine,its a 1990 2litre auto.And does the oil in the auto box ever need changing?
    Thanks lads.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭f4fay

Go to OTTO in Tallaght and they will give you the correct O.E. oil and plugs !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

If anyone's interested in a project 1987 2 ltr auto 190e I've put an ad in the classic FS/swop sectn..

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

If the auto trans fluid isn't red, it should really be changed. Get the filter and sump gasket changed at the same time. Not a hard job but make sure you get the right ATF. The MB branded stuff is dear but apparently Fuchs make it for them. As long as it's the right spec, it shouldn't matter who makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

spotted in dublin last weekmerc 003.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The exklusiv! One of the stranger runout special editions ever made. AFAIK they were only sold here and many didn't seem to have much in the way of goodies unlike the LE models in the UK which were all electric with nice alloys.

Can anyone recommend me an engine oil and spark plug type for mine,its a 1990 2litre auto.And does the oil in the auto box ever need changing?
    Thanks lads.:)

Eng. oil: 10w/40 semi

Plugs: Beru 14k-7DU/DUo, Bosch H7DC/DCO

When changing the ATF renew filter and g/box sump gasket (rubber). Total oil cap. approx 5.5lt. Oil change advisable/preventive 20k mls, its cheap to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gregory18387

Hey everyone!

I will be recieving a 1990 190e 1.8(I think) in black in July/August :)

I want to do it up a bit, interior and exterior, does anyone have any clue where I would start looking for parts?? I dont want it sporty or anything like that just do it up so it looks nice.
    I was looking at the Reiger bodykit but not using it all just side skirting and arches??
    OR
    I was thinking of leaving it as it is maybe some alloys on it and just do interior?:confused:
    Would appreciate help or any comments!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hardybucko

here is my yoke..hope ye like! Its a amg replica.
    RIMG0321.jpg
    RIMG0325.jpg
    RIMG0323.jpg

Nice, looks good in black.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

That one looks lovely with the black paint and black interior, the almost comical (but still great) uber macho-ness of the amg kit is cool too.
    I love the crisp straight edged styling of these. Always thought they were a great looking car, and better proportioned than the E200s etc of the day

ya i totally agree they are beautiful lookin cars and nowadays thers isnt many around with the amg kit on them.only bought it n july it came n from uk..750 2 clear the thing! The lad i bought it off spent 2 grand gettin it resprayed and he replaced all the switches and bulbs 2. all i had 2 do was raise it up he had 80 mm lowering springs n it...now it look savage but that height is pointless on these roads. also he put a camber on the rear tyres..good in dry dangerous n wet!! the 2l 8v carb sounds lovely but is a pig on juice! the auto gearbox doesnt help either but i have a broken collar bone at the mo so i dont mind really!!haha had a 190 d b4 it was savage on juice! not doin bad 2 190's and im only 22!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

190ds are great old things, very slow but very tough. The 190 1.8 seems a bit more lively than 2.0 carb one and better on fuel too but you don't really buy a big old car like that for economy

if ya no any1 lookin 2 buy a set of newly refurbed 190 15' alloys i gotta set here thats lookin for a good home..thinkin about a set of evo 2 for mine down the road.
    Really the 1.8 is quicker than the 2.0 carb?? its can be a pure alcoholic if ya even think of passin 3000rpm tank just drains..
    i was down in kilkenny last year and this olde buck i was talkin to showed me the odometer on his 190 d...942,000...my jaw nearly dropped his was a 92 same as my old 1 but they are truly a class yoke go 4ever massively over engineered! mine had 330 on it b4 i sold it and i drove the absolute livin ****e out f it day n day out for 4 years and the only thing i had 2 do was replace the tyres..its still goin like a clock wit a bit shy off 400k..sold it to neighbour for 700!!haha it was unbelievable for driftin in the snow it kicked ass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

hardybucko wrote: »
    if ya no any1 lookin 2 buy a set of newly refurbed 190 15' alloys i gotta set here thats lookin for a good home..thinkin about a set of evo 2 for mine down the road.

Well I might be in the market for a set after this weekend, if all goes to plan I might have a new W124 estate and I'm 99% certain yours should fit. Send me a PM with some more details and we'll see how things go...

Advertisement