Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes 190e (classic or future classic)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭maidhc

Are these still around? Thinking of putting my 190e back on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I may have one for sale shortly. Sadly. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I may have one for sale shortly. Sadly. :(

The white one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

The white one?

Yeah, too many cars, not enough time, money or shed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hardybucko

sorry there gone my uncle decided to restore an old w124 so and he took a shine to them so i didnt really get a say in the matter!he only gave me 250 for them wit 90% thread on the tyres to make things worse!

• Advertisement

No hassle!

This is the remains of my Ford Focus after taking a strange skid on the blanch exit on the M50: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2707054

Not sure why someone feels it is worth €1600, but best of luck to them.

Anyway, that car was neither the cheapest nor most satisfying owning experience. I'm thinking of spending some of the insc money on getting the 190e 2.6 in good fettle and using it as a daily driver. Am I mad? Do many people do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

maidhc wrote: »
    No hassle!

This is the remains of my Ford Focus after taking a strange skid on the blanch exit on the M50: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2707054

Not sure why someone feels it is worth €1600, but best of luck to them.

Anyway, that car was neither the cheapest nor most satisfying owning experience. I'm thinking of spending some of the insc money on getting the 190e 2.6 in good fettle and using it as a daily driver. Am I mad? Do many people do it?

Light front damage me hole !!!
    :D:D Can never understand how that guy sells so many cars, he is generally very expensive. It would surely cost two grand to put that one back on road. You will find it some change driving a 190 2.6 than a focus diesel. I know a guy who has one of these but it is on english reg, I drove it and it is a bullet , one of the fastest yokes I have driven. But if you want to drive it and it tempts you , then 15 to 20 mpg would be what you would get. The tax would also be prohibitive. I would stay with that as a dream rather than a reality !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Forest Fire

Just bought a 190e 2l up North for 2,500eus. How id VRT calculated?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Just bought a 190e 2l up North for 2,500eus. How id VRT calculated?
    You need to book a VRT Inspection here, then bring the car for an inspection. They will give you a quote then. However, if your 190E is 30 years old or more, it will be a fixed €200,- fee, otherwise I guess around €700 - €1,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Forest Fire

Thanks.
    That's lot as a % of car! Blimey!
    Do I need to wait for Reg papers to come from UK?
    Niall.

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    Niall.
    Hi Niall,

Yes, you need the Vehicle Registration Document for the VRT procedures.
    The VRT fee is based on 36% of open market value (if the car is less than 30 years old), which is given by Revenue. Your purchase price is not taken into equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And to add to that, the minimum open market value is €2,000 by definition. So 36% times €2,000 = €720 minimum VRT (unless you can prove emissions on your car are lower than the threshold where the 36% rate starts)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Just use the calculator...

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html

then get the Vaseline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 milesaway1

@mike65 that will look sexier in shiny black. A little makeover is easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Thanks.
    Niall.

Pics?

On the lookout for a 190e myself. Is there a lot of difference in complexity between the 2.0 versus the 2.6. I wanna use it as a daily driver doing about 6000 miles per year.

Must haves are rust free, fsh, and auto box with decent paint and interior. Summit smart looking. Is budgeting about 800 to 1000 quid per year maintenance realistic? Intend to replace the head unit with something bluetooth enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

There is a lad in Gorey with a very nice white 2.6 for sale. It wont be cheap though! He's on the 190.co.uk forum on Facebook

coolbeans wrote: »
    On the lookout for a 190e myself. Is there a lot of difference in complexity between the 2.0 versus the 2.6. I wanna use it as a daily driver doing about 6000 miles per year.
    Not much difference between these two engines in complexity. The 2.6 is like 1 and 1/2 of the 2.0 with two extra cylinders. So servicing is very similar, the larger engine just needs two more spark plugs, a little more oil, etc.
    Must haves are rust free, fsh, and auto box with decent paint and interior. Summit smart looking. Is budgeting about 800 to 1000 quid per year maintenance realistic? Intend to replace the head unit with something bluetooth enabled.
    €800 per year on maintenance is a lot of money if you can do the work yourself. Otherwise, just enough (if you find a good example to start with).
    BTW, I don't understand why would you need a full service history on a 25 year old car :confused:. Who cares if the car had the wipers or gear oil changed 20 years ago? Recent history would be nice, but just buy on condition ;).

Seweryn wrote: »
    Not much difference between these two engines in complexity. The 2.6 is like 1 and 1/2 of the 2.0 with two extra cylinders. So servicing is very similar, the larger engine just needs two more spark plugs, a little more oil, etc.
    800 per year on maintenance is a lot of money if you can do the work yourself. Otherwise, just enough (if you find a good example to start with).
    BTW, I don't understand why would you need a full service history on a 25 year old car :confused:. Who cares if the car had the wipers or gear oil changed 20 years ago? Recent history would be nice, but just buy on condition ;).

That's fair enough, thanks. I'll keep ye updated.

w124man wrote: »
    There is a lad in Gorey with a very nice white 2.6 for sale. It wont be cheap though! He's on the 190.co.uk forum on Facebook

Is that the one with the white alloys? Nice car but a white Merc is not what I have in mind. I'll go for a two litre as well. As long as she's auto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

I've had my 1984 2.0E automatic for 7 years now and I'd say you'll easily cover annual maintenance with €800 per year, probably a lot less in fact. But only if you buy a good one to start with, and good ones are not common and not cheap. You'll see some for sale for €1000, they're VERY unlikely to be in good condition. My annual service is usually less than €200, I use Lichtenberg Classics whom I can highly recommend. I've replaced some ancillaries over the years before they're failed - alternator, wiper motor, window regulators. Good quality parts are surprisingly cheap so use them, don't buy cheap parts from GSF etc.

Mine is just back from its annual service which this time cost €600 as it included brake lines, anti-roll bar bushing and new engine mounts. Biggest bill I've ever had for it but known beforehand and mostly for parts that needed replacing due to age. Some other costs...
    • Full set of Michelin tyres, about €500, but these will last many years. Don't buy cheap tyres, ever!
    • New battery last week, €106, previous one lasted 6 years.
    • Insurance is about €150 with First Ireland, based on 2000 miles but they do higher mileage policies.
    • Tax is €56 as mine is 1984
    • NCT costs whatever it costs, I'm happy to pay it as I see it as a cheap safety check.
    • Depreciation is zero, if you buy a good one!

If you can find a rust free one its worth getting it professionally undersealed, but only if rust free. I had mine done just after buying it and its still sound despite the best efforts of the NCT man and his rubber hammer.

I use mine as my daily driver in the winter and at weekends for the rest of the year and its never failed to start or let me down. It lives in the driveway under a cover the rest of the time (only buy a good quality cover). In city centre stop/start traffic I get early 20's MPG, probably bettered by modern cars but not by much if you compare a 2.0 petrol automatic. I bought mine in the UK with 34k miles and it now has 45k miles, all trouble free. It's extremely reliable, comfortable, and surprisingly nippy if you want it to be!

Oh, and I've just replaced the radio with a Sony unit with Bluetooth that enables hands-free calling and music streaming.

Sounds like you're looking for my car :eek:

0UiK1359dT0HcXs8BwyOcNpFctJVgOvykdnddKujXUzCIQiYx55er6FGebI49Pb8BA576yY6EwrmlnMIHGJxgPAA3lVIigrcdxOoDaD4o_gmwdUYlo954sr_0xxxvZUgrn4DQQrKqKUeCIDRCT2W40EGBGIgPInAO7OnDhowocxBR8tMTutaitxw-f0zh912KHV4jNYUa1pZkbHmXYMV37SNVSGg67sn-UV7ipmg3WGQ622Gq6UBZ2URE0ivRLmVIZwa2SUILPuyjof7Ui4VtPqzhJER_sqBZUR3Wrk2xYdBIr-2Sf3AYct3OySZSEDcbuGOKg3dMHF3b4a56EwhW3Fqnv9q27M3h7A5sXgEqlqgFIfHv7r4IsDnghMYiSYKwU1kTjSSAAP2GPHd-0meXP-jFHWNna2gnlFZBGPhHVsfhSekQaO8iBr6zF-ykNGE78Af7xQsmjrLBPufIh0euEtZTSA6cgCpjq0mrAD5L-LZa-xuRO9WHi5bcpCVijc1TZLwYRJOPmHp3eH_KWxsfjXHEtwA-I4d2VyarGUjM7yUAFJchkM9eVKhbTvQN0LVjELiMDdJwfkgpCEicGLipZXPXEU-X1noZkzx8KQiZtUAwbPCjg=w600-h323-no

More photos here if you want to waste a few minutes:

Mercedes 190E Photos

Photos are from a few years ago but its still the same apart from the plates are now silver on black pressed metal.

Good luck with your search and PM me or ask here if you need any more info on living with a 190E.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Just saw this thread in the most recent posts.

Brings back memories of my own 1992 190E. I got her about 10 years ago and held on for 2 years. Loved every bit of it. Friends and family slagged me off for owning an old tractor (hole in the exhaust). But I fixed that up, but it still needed a good bit of attention to the bodywork, but she drove like a dream. After a while I got a great deal on a newer car, but held onto my 190E for a good while till in the end I just had to sell her. Always wished I kept driving her around instead of the CLK I got. Regret the day I sold it, but some lucky sod over around Tallaght direction got a great deal.

quenching wrote: »
    I've had my 1984 2.0E automatic for 7 years now and I'd say you'll easily cover annual maintenance with €800 per year, probably a lot less in fact. But only if you buy a good one to start with, and good ones are not common and not cheap. You'll see some for sale for €1000, they're VERY unlikely to be in good condition. My annual service is usually less than €200, I use Lichtenberg Classics whom I can highly recommend. I've replaced some ancillaries over the years before they're failed - alternator, wiper motor, window regulators. Good quality parts are surprisingly cheap so use them, don't buy cheap parts from GSF etc.

Mine is just back from its annual service which this time cost €600 as it included brake lines, anti-roll bar bushing and new engine mounts. Biggest bill I've ever had for it but known beforehand and mostly for parts that needed replacing due to age. Some other costs...
    • Full set of Michelin tyres, about €500, but these will last many years. Don't buy cheap tyres, ever!
    • New battery last week, €106, previous one lasted 6 years.
    • Insurance is about €150 with First Ireland, based on 2000 miles but they do higher mileage policies.
    • Tax is €56 as mine is 1984
    • NCT costs whatever it costs, I'm happy to pay it as I see it as a cheap safety check.
    • Depreciation is zero, if you buy a good one!

If you can find a rust free one its worth getting it professionally undersealed, but only if rust free. I had mine done just after buying it and its still sound despite the best efforts of the NCT man and his rubber hammer.

I use mine as my daily driver in the winter and at weekends for the rest of the year and its never failed to start or let me down. It lives in the driveway under a cover the rest of the time (only buy a good quality cover). In city centre stop/start traffic I get early 20's MPG, probably bettered by modern cars but not by much if you compare a 2.0 petrol automatic. I bought mine in the UK with 34k miles and it now has 45k miles, all trouble free. It's extremely reliable, comfortable, and surprisingly nippy if you want it to be!

Oh, and I've just replaced the radio with a Sony unit with Bluetooth that enables hands-free calling and music streaming.

Sounds like you're looking for my car :eek:

0UiK1359dT0HcXs8BwyOcNpFctJVgOvykdnddKujXUzCIQiYx55er6FGebI49Pb8BA576yY6EwrmlnMIHGJxgPAA3lVIigrcdxOoDaD4o_gmwdUYlo954sr_0xxxvZUgrn4DQQrKqKUeCIDRCT2W40EGBGIgPInAO7OnDhowocxBR8tMTutaitxw-f0zh912KHV4jNYUa1pZkbHmXYMV37SNVSGg67sn-UV7ipmg3WGQ622Gq6UBZ2URE0ivRLmVIZwa2SUILPuyjof7Ui4VtPqzhJER_sqBZUR3Wrk2xYdBIr-2Sf3AYct3OySZSEDcbuGOKg3dMHF3b4a56EwhW3Fqnv9q27M3h7A5sXgEqlqgFIfHv7r4IsDnghMYiSYKwU1kTjSSAAP2GPHd-0meXP-jFHWNna2gnlFZBGPhHVsfhSekQaO8iBr6zF-ykNGE78Af7xQsmjrLBPufIh0euEtZTSA6cgCpjq0mrAD5L-LZa-xuRO9WHi5bcpCVijc1TZLwYRJOPmHp3eH_KWxsfjXHEtwA-I4d2VyarGUjM7yUAFJchkM9eVKhbTvQN0LVjELiMDdJwfkgpCEicGLipZXPXEU-X1noZkzx8KQiZtUAwbPCjg=w600-h323-no

More photos here if you want to waste a few minutes:

Mercedes 190E Photos

Photos are from a few years ago but its still the same apart from the plates are now silver on black pressed metal.

Good luck with your search and PM me or ask here if you need any more info on living with a 190E.

Great post and thanks for taking the effort. Lovely example you've got there with one of the best wheel combos apart from the Lorinsers and those available on the Evos.

My budget of £1000 maintenance is conservative, as I try to assume the worst when it comes to finances generally. I'm with you re the undersealing, when I find a rust free one that'll be one of the first jobs done. I'd also assume things like the head gasket will need doing as from my research this is a common issue on petrols b/w 100,000 and 150,000miles. I currently drive a new car that will be replaced in the next month by the 190e or at least a cheapo Yaris till I find the right car. Do many people ask you about yours? And yes, you basically have the car I want. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

http://www.mtsv.co.uk/

A really good original 190E will cost about €5000 - €8000 landed in Ireland. There are many about at a lot less but you will spend a lot to get them up to scratch. It will also depend on what your standards are as to what you think is 'up to scratch'.

I bought a 1992 190D earlier in the year, a genuine Irish bought car and TOTALLY rust free but mechanically tired which is only to be expected with 240,000 on the clock. I have spent €2000 on new parts - genuine MB and Lemforder - and when I get it finished she will be mechanically perfect. Then I will do the interior which needs little and then the paintwork. Once the windscreen is replaced and new tyres fitted she will be perfect. It will stand me about €5000 when finished but I prefer to do it this way as I will know the car inside out and find out all the little problems along the way and eliminate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I have had many, and the last one I literally came along at the right time, buying a 1.8 Exklusive manual for €650. It had sat for some years and had a tidy body, I had to wash and buff the crap out of it, remove the interior to really thoroughly clean. It got a new cap and rotor, OVP relay and despite 210,000 miles on it, it drove like new. I sold it to a friend and told him it needed a clutch and minor welding to the floor (very very minor) I told him after that to NCT it and if it failed I would fix it. Another car saved and back on the road.

It passed no problems.

He got a year of driving out of it, sold it to another guy and I still see it passing me on the M1 regularly.

I decent spec, rot free car, preferably not ex-UK is the way to go, and i will have another some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Great post and thanks for taking the effort. Lovely example you've got there with one of the best wheel combos apart from the Lorinsers and those available on the Evos.

My budget of £1000 maintenance is conservative, as I try to assume the worst when it comes to finances generally. I'm with you re the undersealing, when I find a rust free one that'll be one of the first jobs done. I'd also assume things like the head gasket will need doing as from my research this is a common issue on petrols b/w 100,000 and 150,000miles. I currently drive a new car that will be replaced in the next month by the 190e or at least a cheapo Yaris till I find the right car. Do many people ask you about yours? And yes, you basically have the car I want. :)

Always wise to budget for the worst, they're old cars and no matter how well you choose your car some parts are going to need replacing over time, hoses perish, seals dry and harden, hinges get stiff etc. They require more regular attention than modern cars but probably less than most other models from the same era. Lots of things are DIY but anyone can be unlucky with a big bill.

I'm sure you've found mercedes-190.co.uk which is a font of useful information.

Mine came from Chesire Classic Benz and still looks and drives like a new car so it does attract a bit of attention, mostly from middle-aged men, and the Eastern European NCT testers seem particularly fond of it, so you won't be swamped by glamorous women I'm afraid :D

My 190e 2.0 sportline manual wearing her working clothes a few weeks back. It is my daily driver during the summer. I bought her on eBay 3 years ago for €1400. Probably stands me €3k to date and I think I'll reach €5k by the time it is perfect.

Wonderful car to drive though. Decent poke, sharp handling and 35mpg if you take it easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

As a mad G wagen owner ....I adore the 190's. Best affordable car merc ever built......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

duskyjoe wrote: »
    As a mad G wagen owner ....I adore the 190's. Best affordable car merc ever built......

They were affordable but for performance . quality and comfort the 123 and 124 would always win out. Still like them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

maidhc wrote: »
    My 190e 2.0 sportline manual wearing her working clothes a few weeks back. It is my daily driver during the summer. I bought her on eBay 3 years ago for €1400. Probably stands me €3k to date and I think I'll reach €5k by the time it is perfect.

Wonderful car to drive though. Decent poke, sharp handling and 35mpg if you take it easy.

Good man. Sweet car. Haven't seen you post on boards in ages, welcome back :)

Advertisement