Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes 190e (classic or future classic)

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote: »
    Good man. Sweet car. Haven't seen you post on boards in ages, welcome back :)

Thanks! She is SORN now until next April or so. There is a rotten amount of slack in the drivetrain even though I put in new rubber dampers this spring and it got new engine mounts last year.

If I am brave I'll do a subframe rebuild at Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

Not a 190 but
    Dietrich.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭tc20

Tommyboy40 wrote: »
    Not a 190 but
    Dietrich.jpg

one of your fleet Tommyboy??

looks fantastic, what model is it?

It's a 220E. I' the second owner and it has a full main dealer history. And it's the right colour!

IMG_3359 (1).jpg

@ Tommyboy - do you have a particular penchant for maroon? :D (not sure of the MB paint code)

and is that a pano roof hard top on the SL??

(apologies for dragging his away from the W201 thread)

• Advertisement

It's 572 Ruby Red. That is indeed a pano on the SL. They're all the same colour by complete accident. I have another 220E Coupe in Blue that I must sell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭maidhc

In case anyone is tempted, this looks straight enough and seems to be for sale by a reasonable person. Age is right for Irish roads and it is the engine to have

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/142503454607?_mwBanner=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

quenching wrote: »
    I've had my 1984 2.0E automatic for 7 years now and I'd say you'll easily cover annual maintenance with €800 per year, probably a lot less in fact. But only if you buy a good one to start with, and good ones are not common and not cheap. You'll see some for sale for €1000, they're VERY unlikely to be in good condition. My annual service is usually less than €200, I use Lichtenberg Classics whom I can highly recommend. I've replaced some ancillaries over the years before they're failed - alternator, wiper motor, window regulators. Good quality parts are surprisingly cheap so use them, don't buy cheap parts from GSF etc.

Mine is just back from its annual service which this time cost €600 as it included brake lines, anti-roll bar bushing and new engine mounts. Biggest bill I've ever had for it but known beforehand and mostly for parts that needed replacing due to age. Some other costs...
    • Full set of Michelin tyres, about €500, but these will last many years. Don't buy cheap tyres, ever!
    • New battery last week, €106, previous one lasted 6 years.
    • Insurance is about €150 with First Ireland, based on 2000 miles but they do higher mileage policies.
    • Tax is €56 as mine is 1984
    • NCT costs whatever it costs, I'm happy to pay it as I see it as a cheap safety check.
    • Depreciation is zero, if you buy a good one!

If you can find a rust free one its worth getting it professionally undersealed, but only if rust free. I had mine done just after buying it and its still sound despite the best efforts of the NCT man and his rubber hammer.

I use mine as my daily driver in the winter and at weekends for the rest of the year and its never failed to start or let me down. It lives in the driveway under a cover the rest of the time (only buy a good quality cover). In city centre stop/start traffic I get early 20's MPG, probably bettered by modern cars but not by much if you compare a 2.0 petrol automatic. I bought mine in the UK with 34k miles and it now has 45k miles, all trouble free. It's extremely reliable, comfortable, and surprisingly nippy if you want it to be!

Oh, and I've just replaced the radio with a Sony unit with Bluetooth that enables hands-free calling and music streaming.

Sounds like you're looking for my car :eek:

0UiK1359dT0HcXs8BwyOcNpFctJVgOvykdnddKujXUzCIQiYx55er6FGebI49Pb8BA576yY6EwrmlnMIHGJxgPAA3lVIigrcdxOoDaD4o_gmwdUYlo954sr_0xxxvZUgrn4DQQrKqKUeCIDRCT2W40EGBGIgPInAO7OnDhowocxBR8tMTutaitxw-f0zh912KHV4jNYUa1pZkbHmXYMV37SNVSGg67sn-UV7ipmg3WGQ622Gq6UBZ2URE0ivRLmVIZwa2SUILPuyjof7Ui4VtPqzhJER_sqBZUR3Wrk2xYdBIr-2Sf3AYct3OySZSEDcbuGOKg3dMHF3b4a56EwhW3Fqnv9q27M3h7A5sXgEqlqgFIfHv7r4IsDnghMYiSYKwU1kTjSSAAP2GPHd-0meXP-jFHWNna2gnlFZBGPhHVsfhSekQaO8iBr6zF-ykNGE78Af7xQsmjrLBPufIh0euEtZTSA6cgCpjq0mrAD5L-LZa-xuRO9WHi5bcpCVijc1TZLwYRJOPmHp3eH_KWxsfjXHEtwA-I4d2VyarGUjM7yUAFJchkM9eVKhbTvQN0LVjELiMDdJwfkgpCEicGLipZXPXEU-X1noZkzx8KQiZtUAwbPCjg=w600-h323-no

More photos here if you want to waste a few minutes:

Mercedes 190E Photos

Photos are from a few years ago but its still the same apart from the plates are now silver on black pressed metal.

Good luck with your search and PM me or ask here if you need any more info on living with a 190E.

Just in case anyone is looking for one I’m now selling my 190e. It’s just not getting the use it should be and family circumstances mean it’s unlikely to be used much in the near future so I’d rather not see it deteriorate through lack of use. It’s an excellent car, running perfectly and in terrific condition. If you’re interested send me a PM and I’ll send on full details and answer any questions. I’m in no hurry and I’m not giving it away but you get what you pay for. Buy a cheap one or buy a good one, you won’t find a cheap good one!

^ it feels wrong of me to 'thank' your post quenching, what a beaut of a W201. I'd love to be in a position to send you a PM, but circumstances dictate otherwise. I'm sure it'll go to a good home, best of luck with the sale

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Holy crap, that's immaculate.

God bless her and all who sail in her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Dades wrote: »
    Holy crap, that's immaculate.

God bless her and all who sail in her.

Totally agree, that's a fabulous car, very high spec for the time as well.

Side note, who knew Mercedes used to do cars with proper parking brakes:eek:?

AFAIK, the 190 was the only MB with a 'regular' handbrake - most likely as the pedal box would be too small to accommodate a foot operated parking brake (I stand to be corrected on this)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That is very clean, lovely car! Any indication of your asking price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

That is very clean, lovely car! Any indication of your asking price?

I’m really only guessing as to its value, I realise it’s not an air cooled 911 but good early ones are very difficult to find. Mine is one of the very early right hand drive ones with the weird (and useless) little “mini-wiper” under the main one rather than the parabolic sweep one most cars have, mine also has the front wings without side indicators. It also has a fully documented history. I’ve put an asking price of £6,995 on it as I’ve advertised it on the UK site Car and Classic, the advert for the car is here:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1024772

Again, I’ve no idea if this more or less than its worth, I suppose the market will determine its value and I’m in no hurry. I’ve already had a UK dealer contact me asking about it but no prices mentioned and a dealer here offered me €5,000 last year at a car show but I wasn’t selling it then, I presume he would have sold it for a good deal more, or he could have been a chancer!

Happy to hear others opinions on what it’s worth. I suspect the range will be wide enough as I think all old Minis are worthless ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

tc20 wrote: »
    AFAIK, the 190 was the only MB with a 'regular' handbrake - most likely as the pedal box would be too small to accommodate a foot operated parking brake (I stand to be corrected on this)

107 SL/SLC and R170 SLK also had 'regular' handbrakes

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

tc20 wrote: »

AFAIK, the 190 was the only MB with a 'regular' handbrake - most likely as the pedal box would be too small to accommodate a foot operated parking away brake (I stand to be corrected on this)

The R107 SL’s also had the regular hand brake.

quenching wrote: »
    Happy to hear others opinions on what it’s worth. I suspect the range will be wide enough as I think all old Minis are worthless ;-)

I'd say you should be able to sell it back into the UK for around your asking price. Your W201 is stunning and extremely well looked after

I got my Porsche back last Friday and I paid for a full year of motor tax EUR1080 :eek:

I only rarely need to even have a second car. So I have no more use for my W201 190E 2.6 auto that I brought in from the UK myself almost a year ago. NCT until October '19, taxed. A sound, very reliable car. Not currently advertised. I will let it go to anyone in here for EUR3,200 and I won't entertain last price merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

I'd say you should be able to sell it back into the UK for around your asking price. Your W201 is stunning and extremely well looked after

I got my Porsche back last Friday and I paid for a full year of motor tax EUR1080 :eek:

I only rarely need to even have a second car. So I have no more use for my W201 190E 2.6 auto that I brought in from the UK myself almost a year ago. NCT until October '19, taxed. A sound, very reliable car. Not currently advertised. I will let it go to anyone in here for EUR3,200 and I won't entertain last price merchants.
    What year, mileage?

'87, 167k miles

'87, 167k miles
    Chape tax! I'm probably just kicking tyres ...digitally - Not sure if I'll make the plunge. Tempt me with a few photos/details - if not already somewhere else.

• Advertisement

Was going to share my other classic car with a friend (mainly to share running costs and motor tax - it's a €1080 motor tax young timer), but that plan is not working out because of insurance reasons. I've paid the tax up front for the year, so I might as well use it.

That means the Mercedes will have to go. I'll put a DoneDeal ad up in the next few days. In the meantime:

'87 Mercedes-Benz W201 190E 2.6 straight six petrol automatic

458999.jpg

459000.jpg

Car is sound & reliable. Owned for almost 30 years by 2 UK based psychiatrists who didn't spare any money keeping the car in good condition. Plenty of history. ABS. Not perfect, but that is reflected in the price. Two sets of keys, lots of bills. Taxed, NCT until October 2019. Good Pirelli and Continental tyres. Motor tax €56 per year and I pay €100 fully comprehensive classic insurance per year

Looks good thanks. I'm still tempted but just does not suit at the moment.

Advertisement