Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you / Could you ever be a vegetarian?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭MisterMonkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Archeron wrote: »
    I say fair play to those who adopt this choice and can do it, but it would never work for me. I'm a true and true carnivore (omnivore if you count mushrooms and onions) and the mere prospect of life without eating meat is a nightmare not worth entertaining.

So are you a vegetarian or do you live for meat? (ahem)

Could you or would you ever become vegetarian by choice?

I was going to say it's impossible and vegetarians are naught but godless freaks that need to be sent back to the hell that spawned them, but then i realised i havn't eaten meat in about a month.

Now if you'll excuse me, i have to go to dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Not even if my name was Carrot O'Spud.

Humans are an aggressive, meat eating species...we kill and if we kill something we can eat...score!

Some plants are poisonous but all meats are edible once cooked...thumbs up from me for killin' and eatin' stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

i dont think i could survive without steak!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I was vegetarian for 5 years. Found it fairly easy to give up meat, and meat by-products.

I started eating meat again last year on a trip to Japan.

I'm pretty sure in the future, I could start a vegetarian lifestyle easily again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Not even if my name was Carrot O'Spud.

Humans are an aggressive, meat eating species...we kill and if we kill something we can eat...score!

Some plants are poisonous but all meats are edible once cooked...thumbs up from me for killin' and eatin' stuff!

I wouldn't be too sure about that some animals that are poisonous but I don't know if they still would be once cooked, I don't think anybody has ever tried either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Maybe we could start a campaign to reclassify pigs as vegetables? I couldn't live without my rasher sambos....

A rebrand would be necessary. Porkable? Porkaflower might be less offensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Archeron wrote: »
    Could you or would you ever become vegetarian by choice?

Not at all, stop your nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Couldnt live without meat. The fact that I can't stand the taste of most veg. dosent help.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

mmmmm steak :p
    whoppers mmmm
    chargrilled chicken mm
    pork steak mm
    hot dogs!!

Starvin now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Where is the vagitarian option ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Girl I work with doesnt like the taste of it either so I dont think we're all born carnivores.

We are born omnivores. We have the tools and system to ingest both meat and vegtables. We also need the nutrients from both.

Nothing wrong with vegitarians. I do have a problem with people forcing their views on me. Friend of mine always tells me "you shouldn't eat meat, it's cruel" bla bla bla... I also hate the veggie who wants everyone to know it. You know the attention seeking ones? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭chasm

If they banned rashers i would probably find it quite easy to become a vegitarian. The smell of rashers cooking is just mmmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Teeth

i`m a veggie.
    pretty hardcore too. i personally dont see why people get so up in arms about the fact that some people don`t eat meat. big freakin` deal. if someone gets all in my face i`ll ask them do they know where that bit of fried chicken came from, or my favourite is my peta spiel if im feeling especially annoyed.

I dont ask you noncessantly why you love steaks, you don`t ask me why i`m having a veg curry.I dont care about your dinner, why do you care bout mine?*

i don`t like the thought of eating dead animals,or animal products, and heres something to think about - Humans are the only mammal to continue drinking milk after baby phase.And it`s not even human milk either.

i did it for health reasons but more importantly moral reasons. i dont think it`s right. people can yap on about "its for the human development" and so on and so forth but it dosent wash with me.I dont drink milk and i dont eat eggs.I cant give up cheese though, i love it too much, though i`ve cut down on it massively.

If you got a balanced diet then you dont need all these supplements you see for vitamins or calcium.
    If you really,really want to know why go and read Dr.Rat by William Kotzwinkle. i dare you.

*and IamXavier - i know the sort. they annoy me to no end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I was pretty much a vegetarian until I was about 15. My Mother is a vegetarian and brought my brother and I up that way! I eat the odd bit of meat now. I eat a lot of fish and a bit of chicken. But hardly any red meat. It just makes me feel sick. Most likely because I was raised without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Aye, I've been a vegetarian for a good few years now- 4 or 5.

I didn't make a decision one day to just stop eating meat or anything, over a number of years I just stopped eating certain types of meat until all I was able to enjoy was chicken, which I then also stopped liking.

I haven't adapted some sort of moral highground over it, I never lecture people on becoming a veggie or the likes.
    All my friends/ family members eat meat, it doesn't bother me at all. I'll gladly cook meat for others, and I don't really care all that much about animal rights either.
    I'm also not one to mention "I'm a vegetarian!" at every given opportunity, although yes, my friends all pretty much know.

TBH, I really doubt I'll ever eat meat again. I don't enjoy it, and the whole vegetarian-diet works well for me- I'm certainly healthier and happier since I started cuttin' out the animal.

Can be a total PAIN when you're eating out or something, but all in all, it's great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I am practically a carnivore. I just cannot stand the taste of vegetables, no matter how they're cooked.
    I like potatoes (which I'm not sure are even classified as vegetables) and that's it.

So no, I would never ever be a vegetarian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I've been veggie for 14 years, but am considering eating meat again, as a friend has set up an organic farm, so the meat I'd be eating is cruelty free/antibiotic free etc. I honestly don't understand vegans, never have, milk and eggs can be produced in happy conditions, they taste lovely too. :) I'm probably the easiest veggie to bring for food, will eat anywhere but KFC (pepsi, ew)

I have no problem with us farming and killing animals for food, I will however be cranky at people who are ignorant of the conditions those animals are raised in and how they are slaughtered.

My sister on the other hand once ate a whole suckling pig by picking it up and munching down. She was 11. It was the size of her head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

I'm 22 now...have been a vegamatarian (or feckin' eejit as my brother says :P) for 22 years.
    Happens at birth doncha know? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Nyom nyom meat. I eat meat. I could live without it if there was a good reason. I just haven't heard one yet.

I don't care what others choose to eat though and I've no time for those who try to impose their version of morality on others. Live and let live I say.... unless it's made of tasty meat.

Obligatory you don't win friends with salad if it hasn't been said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 homme d'affaire

[quote=taram
    I will however be cranky at people who are ignorant of the conditions those animals are raised in and how they are slaughtered.

I am vegetarian about 2 years. I fully agree with you about most peoples ignorance of how animals are 'raised' and slaughtered though.

I mean, if you know the chicken on your plate has had the ****test life imaginable to any living species, having its beak hammered off at birth to stop from attacking other birds in its tiny 12 inch cage, having its wings broken to stop from flapping about the cage, and sometimes having its feet cut off too. All while alive. Then being boiled alive after all that and having its head sliced off.

If you know all this and still decide to eat that chicken, then fair enough you have made a personal conscious decision based on information out there on factory farming. It's the people who don't know and don't want to know, and pretend the chicken they are eating lived a happy fulfilling life, who annoy me most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 homme d'affaire

I know what I say might seem very extremist, but the fact is it's the truth. Look it up if you don't believe me. This is happening right now and every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I am practically a carnivore. I just cannot stand the taste of vegetables, no matter how they're cooked.
    I like potatoes (which I'm not sure are even classified as vegetables) and that's it.

So no, I would never ever be a vegetarian.

I find someone not eating vegtables odder than people who don't eat meat... I cannot understand it at all. I love vegtables. I have a few mates who never ever ate veg, just beans and tinned peas. Chips and burgers, chips and pizza, frys and chips, etc etc. Sometimes he would have peas, only sometimes.

As for supliments? You shouldn't need them, you should get all that from your food, if you eat proparly. Another friend of mine eats them Vitamin C tablets every day, he never eats fruit, I don't know why.

Same with the people going to the gym, knocking back all them shakes and tablets, I never in my life used any of that crap, it's a load of balls. True it gives energy and other stuff your body needs, but you should be getting that from your food if you are eating a balanced healthy diet ;)
    [quote=taram

I am vegetarian about 2 years. I fully agree with you about most peoples ignorance of how animals are 'raised' and slaughtered though.

I mean, if you know the chicken on your plate has had the ****test life imaginable to any living species, having its beak hammered off at birth to stop from attacking other birds in its tiny 12 inch cage, having its wings broken to stop from flapping about the cage, and sometimes having its feet cut off too. All while alive. Then being boiled alive after all that and having its head sliced off.

If you know all this and still decide to eat that chicken, then fair enough you have made a personal conscious decision based on information out there on factory farming. It's the people who don't know and don't want to know, and pretend the chicken they are eating lived a happy fulfilling life, who annoy me most.

I don't think you are talking about the processing of chicken meat in Ireland. It may have happened quite some time ago, but not anymore. There are rules and regulations in place to make sure this doesn't happen. I normally get free ranged poultry products. I have seen these factories in other countries, I wouldn't be keen on eathing that kind of meat. Chickens on convayer belts, litteraly being sived out through machinery and being sorted.

I agree they are not wild, they are locked up all their lives, you can tell this from the colour of their eggs. My nan had chickens, you could tell the differance between the eggs. Much nicer.

I also rather wild meat, tastes much nicer, really lean and unspoilt. Nyom Nyom :P

Teeth wrote: »
    Or my favourite is my peta spiel if im feeling especially annoyed.

So you're response to being questioned on your eating habits is recite the rantings of madmen?

<spock>
    fascinating
    </spock>

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

<spock>
    It is logical to be a vegetarian.
    </spock>

<spock>
    It is logical to be a vegetarian.
    </spock>

<bones>
    Is that where you get your filthy green alien blood from, you freak!
    </bones>

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

<crew member in red nobody has ever seen before>
    Dammit shut up bones. *Inexplicably dies*
    </crew member in red nobody has ever seen before>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

liah wrote: »
    I'm an omnivore. I enjoy meat. It's not a large part of my diet, though, I really only have meat once a week or so lately, and a bit in my bolognaise.

Humans need certain proteins from meat for proper development, whether vegetarians/vegans want to believe it or not. It also helps with brain development. If we weren't meant to eat meat, we would not have evolved as omnivores, we would've evolved as vegetarians.

Plus anyone who can say no to a good barbecue is simply insane.
    I've been a vegetarian since i was a child and I was consistently top of my class.

So you're talking sh*te!

You can get all the protein you need from other sources.

Plus some of the strongest and biggest animals are herbivores, so it does no harm to you physically either.
    Yup, utter shíte...
    http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/99legacy/6-14-1999a.html

Without meat we wouldn't be where we are today.

It still helps kids obtain necessary nutrients in a much easier, more efficient manner today, since a lot of kids really only eat junk and won't eat a lot of "alternative" veggies that adult vegetarians would consume to make up for the lost nutrients you can get from red meat.

Liah, you seem to have posted a link to make an argument then changed your argument after reading the link a second time realising that instead of supporting your argument, it in fact contradicted it.

You said that "Humans need certain proteins from meat for proper development, whether vegetarians/vegans want to believe it or not" and that's what midlandmissus declared shíte. And she was correct. The link that you provided contains the statement:

"Milton said that her theories do not reflect on today's vegetarian diets, which can be completely adequate, given modern knowledge of nutrition" (Milton being the authority in question).

So Liah, there may be an argument that we would not have evolved to what we are had our ancestors not eaten meat, but to say that we cannot get necessary nutrition from vegetarian foods is false.

But you seemed to have learned that in the interim :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

kraggy wrote: »
    Liah, you seem to have posted a link to make an argument then changed your argument after reading the link a second time realising that instead of supporting your argument, it in fact contradicted it.

You said that "Humans need certain proteins from meat for proper development, whether vegetarians/vegans want to believe it or not" and that's what midlandmissus declared shíte. And she was correct. The link that you provided contains the statement:

"Milton said that her theories do not reflect on today's vegetarian diets, which can be completely adequate, given modern knowledge of nutrition" (Milton being the authority in question).

So Liah, there may be an argument that we would not have evolved to what we are had our ancestors not eaten meat, but to say that we cannot get necessary nutrition from vegetarian foods is false.

But you seemed to have learned that in the interim :)

You seemed to ignore my post that mentioned "As for the proteins, google it" as my link was in reference to the brain development thing.

Try again?

Liah,
    First of all every health/diet/nutrional national body I have every read the views of disagree with you. This includes Ireland, Britain, America, Canada and the WHO. Secondly sources please. Thirdly soy protein isolate etc has a similar/and/or better protein quality than beef and other meats doesn't it? Now explain to me what you know about this and the break down of different quality proteins effect on an amino acid? Also do you know what the Essential Amino Acid Patterns of Protein is/amino acid profile is?

Btw miltion was right about one of your points and wrong about the other, is that your stance? LoL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Liah,
    First of all every health/diet/nutrional national body I have every read the views of disagree with you. This includes Ireland, Britain, America, Canada and the WHO. Secondly sources please. Thirdly soy protein has a similar/and/or better protein quality than beef and other meats doesn't it? Now explain to me what you know about this and the break down of different quality proteins effect on an amino acid?

Btw miltion was right about one of your points and wrong about the other, is that your stance? LoL

No, he's wrong about both.

You present sources, I'll present mine, but this is boards in a thread about "could you be" vegetarian, I'm really not that bothered into getting into a debate as it was already finished sometime ago when my points were made, not my fault people can't understand them. Also considering my first comment wasn't even intended to spark any sort of retaliation (but veggies absolutely love an argument, sigh), I just plain don't give a damn, it's six in the morning for christ's sake.

Get a life. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I see no ethical reason for anyone to be a vegetarian.

Infact, I could go into great lenght to argue that eating meat can be ehtically validated, espically Veal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I eat pretty much everything,
    but I would rather give up red meat than I would veggies
    namely Spuds, Carrots & Broccoli!

This gets better. The article you put up to prove your points are right is wrong on each level? Nice source? So you put up an article to prove your points that you don't agree with?
    You present sources, I'll present mine,
    I'm not going to because as I said every Health organisation agrees with me, what you are saying is nonsense. YOu are the one that made the initial claim. I was just interested if you could find anything apart from your random unsubstantianted claims.

but this is boards in a thread about "could you be" vegetarian, I'm really not that bothered into getting into a debate as it was already finished sometime ago when my points were made, not my fault people can't understand them.
    Where has anybody not understood any of your 'points'?
    Also considering my first comment wasn't even intended to spark any sort of retaliation (but veggies absolutely love an argument, sigh), I just plain don't give a damn, it's six in the morning for christ's sake.
    If you post BS, generally you are going to get called on it. Btw, I doubt you actually know anything about biology and chemistry of proteins but, hey, google it.
    Person on internet at 6am says get a life in 'lol shocker'.

You seemed to ignore my post that mentioned "As for the proteins, google it" as my link was in reference to the brain development thing.

Try again?

Eh, nice try yourself, but your link was in response to midlandmissus' post which mentioned nothing about brain development in historical terms. She mentioned two things. One, that she is top of her class, and two, that proteins contained in meat can be found elsewhere.

Why would you post a link about historical brain development as a response to a post that mentioned no such thing???

Thus, one can can only surmise that you were posting it as response to her claim that ALL nutrients found in meat can be found in other food sources, which is true (as your link conveniently confirms :) ).

Finally, no I did not ignore your other post. But if your point in making that post is that proof of your argument can be found using google, then it is your responsibility to provide such links as it is, afterall, your argument :)

You present sources, I'll present mine, but this is boards in a thread about "could you be" vegetarian, I'm really not that bothered into getting into a debate as it was already finished sometime ago when my points were made, not my fault people can't understand them. Also considering my first comment wasn't even intended to spark any sort of retaliation (but veggies absolutely love an argument, sigh), I just plain don't give a damn, it's six in the morning for christ's sake.

Wrong about both?! Then why did you even quote the article?!

kraggy wrote: »
    Wrong about both?! Then why did you even quote the article?!

Just google it. No need for peer reviewed papers around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

Doesn't tofu increase your estrogen levels...even in males...
    Explains why veggie guys are so effeminate I suppose...:P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

No. (I'm just mad about cows!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Biased polls ftw... seems to be a run on them lately.

smokingman wrote: »

It's true, soy does increese estrogen levels, this is one of the dietry reasons why there is no word for menopause in the japanese language!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I did the whole vegetarian thing for about five months at the start of the new millenium. It is not a way of life that I would recommend to anyone.

We were given incissors for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

A few years ago i was going to become a veggie but i decided against! mmm meat...i couldn't live without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

smokingman wrote: »

I heard something like this on another part of the forum, when someone asked about protein powders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seaneh wrote: »
    It's true, soy does increese estrogen levels, this is one of the dietry reasons why there is no word for menopause in the japanese language!
    Soya contains Phytoestrogens which can mimic the chemical effect of estrogen, but are in fact, not estrogen.

The chemicals found in soya have no effect on male fertility in adults and do not affect testosterone levels or femininity.

There is in fact a word for menopause in Japanese. There is no word for "hot flash" in Japanese, you've clearly been the victim of some form of misheard/altered myth. Hot flashes are rare in Japan because phytoestrogens can help maintain estrogen balance in the menopausal body.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Soya contains Phytoestrogens which can mimic the chemical effect of estrogen, but are in fact, not estrogen.

The chemicals found in soya have no effect on male fertility in adults and do not affect testosterone levels or femininity.

There is in fact a word for menopause in Japanese. There is no word for "hot flash" in Japanese, you've clearly been the victim of some form of misheard/altered myth. Hot flashes are rare in Japan because phytoestrogens can help maintain estrogen balance in the menopausal body.

er, I got con fuddled, I read the source of my (self confused) info about 6 years ago and it always stuck with me.

But yeah, I knew it was something like that.

When did the seagull turn into a smarty pants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When he learned how to use google and wikipedia to appear like he knows a lot.

OOOOOooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhHHHHH!

(I actually said it that long with those pitcxh changes, true story)

That's just cheating!

I'm coming for you Seamus, I know where you (used to at least) live!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

seamus wrote: »

You sure about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Mrs JackDaniels

Veggie since i was 8 and still going strong
    :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement