Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you / Could you ever be a vegetarian?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Bloody anti - vegetarian nazis.

Hitler was a vegetarian.. so eh I think you'll find you guys are the nazis :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Arf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

We were given incissors for a reason.
    Yes - to tear through tough food materials, not necessarily meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

smokingman wrote: »
    The Belfast study showed that eating large amount of soya in early childhood could lead to problems with sperm count and fertility in later years. There was no link between moderate intake (i.e. tofu with dinner 2/3 times a week) in adults and any kind of fertility problems.
    The primary concern raised by the study was the sheer volume of soya-based products in everyday foods (not just vegetarian ones) and the fact that we are feeding these to our children, who may grow up to be affected by it.
    Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Hitler was a vegetarian.. so eh I think you'll find you guys are the nazis :pac:
    Hitler was a vegetarian for medical reasons, not ethical ones. He loved meat and often ate it, even when he wasn't supposed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Oi, you, stop googling ffs, you're making us think you're smart all of a sudden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I just eat meat out of habit tbh... I could probably be a vegetarian if I cared enough, but I'm quite content to eat meat so I'll continue to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Not a chance I could go without eating meat. I love it.

All you vegetarians out there eating fish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Naos wrote: »

Nope

Good woman!

Nothing more hypocritical than a vegetarian that eats fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

"You do know Daves a vegetarian..."

*Surprised look*

"Oh my god dude....How long has he had that?"

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

No way could I be a Vegetarian.
    I love meat waaay too much.

Gimme some steak over veggies anyday, and it had better be bleeding on the inside... Mmmmmmm

A vegetarian that east fish is known as a pescatarian. A person who eats fish but calls themselves vegetarian is simply misinformed, not hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Mrs JackDaniels

god no!! fish eeeeewwwwww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Can't afford meat that often these days, sucks. Would probably have to give it up if I ever went to the US, or only eat organic, the farming industry over there is too messed up to just eat the run of the mill stuff.

Nothing more hypocritical than a vegetarian that eats fish.

Unless you counts a meateater dictating how vegetarians should subscribe to their idea of a cookie cutter moral code.

seamus wrote: »
    A vegetarian that east fish is known as a pescatarian. A person who eats fish but calls themselves vegetarian is simply misinformed, not hypocritical.

Agreed and I know the term Pescatarian, however I have met a lot of "Vegetarians" who also eat fish. I do understand that that's not hypocritical, so I'll retract that.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Unless you counts a meateater dictating how vegetarians should subscribe to their idea of a cookie cutter moral code.

Whats a cookie cutter moral code when it's at home?

And are you one of these "Vegetarians" that eat fish?

Agreed and I know the term Pescatarian, however I have met a lot of "Vegetarians" who also eat fish.
    To be fair, it's also easier when you're eating out to say "vegetarian" because most people know what that is. We had a discussion once with a waitress in Meath who swore blind that vegetarians eat fish, despite having 5 vegetarians arguing with her. When we told her that was a pescetarian, her answer was, "I thought that was a religion". (Presbyterian)
    Imagine telling someone in the South of France that you're pescetarian....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Whats the point in vegetarian Mince / Sausages / Burgers etc...

If you're a vegitarian, why are you eating a meat imitation?

To be fair, it's also easier when you're eating out to say "vegetarian" because most people know what that is. We had a discussion once with a waitress in Meath who swore blind that vegetarians eat fish, despite having 5 vegetarians arguing with her. When we told her that was a pescetarian, her answer was, "I thought that was a religion". (Presbyterian)

Haha. Vegetarian may be a more widely recognised term however it should not be adopted by pescatarians as it just causes confusion, such as the case of the Meath waitress and also displays ignorance on their part.

I'm sure that some "vegetarian" here will come forward and say they eat fish but will still call themselves vegetarian afterwards.

Whats the point in vegetarian Mince / Sausages / Burgers etc...

If you're a vegitarian, why are you eating a meat imitation?
    A few reasons. Primarily, just because a vegetarian doesn't eat meat, doesn't necessarily mean that they dislike the taste. You can get imitation rashers for example, which are awesome. Far superior to normal rashers in my opinion.

Also a lot of the stuff doesn't taste anything like what it's imitating, it's simply imitating the shape of the food so that traditional dishes can be created using it. Trying creating lasagna using a big chunk of TVP or fitting half a block of fried tofu into a hot dog bun. Wouldn't really work.

Actually tofu is probably another reason I couldn't become a vegetarian :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You can get imitation rashers for example, which are awesome. Far superior to normal rashers in my opinion.
    Blasphemy, right there. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Those pesky pescetarians :pac:

Love the way people assume all veggies eat
    - eggs
    - fish ( I don't eat warm blooded creatures - oh crap better avoid the tuna too )
    - or even chicken :confused: ( as long as it isn't a mammal )

and that all veggies would eat these instead of meat
    - brocailli
    - courgettes
    - aubergenes

I've seen ready meals in supermarkets marked as "suitable for vegetarians" even though they contained eggs :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Whats a cookie cutter moral code when it's at home?

And are you one of these "Vegetarians" that eat fish?

There is myriad of reasons to not eat meat other than finding it morally objectionable. Who are you to label someone a hypocrit when you don't even know what their moral stance is, if they have one. An ignoramus that is who!

Fish is even more disgusting than flesh.

You can get imitation rashers for example, which are awesome. Far superior to normal rashers in my opinion.

Not so gone on those rashers, they make a decent cold cut.

I can't keep those fecking vegi deli sage and margoram sauasages in the fridge. The meateaters keep snaffling them, when I am not looking. :(

- eggs
    I've seen ready meals in supermarkets marked as "suitable for vegetarians" even though they contained eggs :rolleyes:
    Vegetarians eat eggs. Vegans don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

- eggs
    - fish ( I don't eat warm blooded creatures - oh crap better avoid the tuna too )

- brocailli
    - courgettes
    - aubergenes

I have to ask, what's wrong with egg? The eggs you eat(or I eat) aren't fertilised so were never going to become chickens. I can understand from the view point of the possibility of animal cruelty but is their any other reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Thirdly soy protein isolate etc has a similar/and/or better protein quality than beef and other meats doesn't it?

Soy protein isolate is.. PEOPLE!!

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    There is myriad of reasons to not eat meat other than finding it morally objectionable. Who are you to label someone a hypocrit when you don't even know what their moral stance is, if they have one. An ignoramus that is who!

Fish is even more disgusting than flesh.

We've covered this earlier in the thread if you read my other posts.

Someone who states they are Vegetarian yet eats fish is a hypocrit. Why? Because Vegetarians do not eat fish. Is it that difficult to grasp?

How does that make me an ignoramus? Still don't get your cookie cutter rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Could never be a vegetarian. Eat meat nearly everyday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 homme d'affaire

tech2 wrote: »
    Could never be a vegetarian. Eat meat nearly everyday

Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

I think vegetarianism is really admirable and i'd love to do it for the health benefits but i just love my meat too much.
    Someone who states they are Vegetarian yet eats fish is a hypocrite.
    Agreed, it really bugs me when people say they're vegetarians but eat fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I don't think you are talking about the processing of chicken meat in Ireland. It may have happened quite some time ago, but not anymore. There are rules and regulations in place to make sure this doesn't happen. I normally get free ranged poultry products. I have seen these factories in other countries, I wouldn't be keen on eathing that kind of meat. Chickens on convayer belts, litteraly being sived out through machinery and being sorted.

I agree they are not wild, they are locked up all their lives, you can tell this from the colour of their eggs. My nan had chickens, you could tell the differance between the eggs. Much nicer.

I also rather wild meat, tastes much nicer, really lean and unspoilt. Nyom Nyom :P
    While I haven't seen chickens in Ireland being treated like this with my own eyes, there has been some cases of very intensively farmed chickens, such as ones whose living area is only cleaned once they die. Ignoring the suffering side of it, the meat from a bird like would be fatty, hock burned and I don't even want to think of the possible bacteria side of things. Ew :P Intensive farming has gotten even more intensive to give us cheaper meat in the last decade.

Also we do import over half our chicken products, we don't know how they are treated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

- eggs

- brocailli
    - courgettes
    - aubergenes

"Can she have wafer thin ham Barbara? - CAN YOU HAVE WAFER THIN HAM?"

Good 'ol Norma!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I only eat chicken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

tldr.. probly just the same old it's cruel/it's lovely arguments tho..

Just remember this you veggie only folks, humanity is only where it is now because we're top of the food chain. you let that slip and there'll be all manner of other creatures coming to kill and eat us.. Let the animals know who's boss, pop em in your pot.

For the same reasons i believe if we ever make contact with aliens, the first thing we should do is eat one - that'll learn em who rules this galaxy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Plus some of the strongest and biggest animals are herbivores, so it does no harm to you physically either.

after the gym 2moro i shall go graze in a field and see what happens...

Just remember this you veggie only folks, humanity is only where it is now because we're top of the food chain. you let that slip and there'll be all manner of other creatures coming to kill and eat us.. Let the animals know who's boss, pop em in your pot.
    This is ridiculous, and I must say I’m surprised by the number of people who push this “it got us where we are now” reasoning. Just because eating meat got us where we are now, doesn’t mean we need to continue doing it to maintain our position. Times change. Surely our intellectual and technological advancement will safeguard us against animals kicking up a riot and feasting on us all? :rolleyes: And what about the animals that we don’t eat? You don’t see dogs and cats taking advantage of our benevolence and turning against us (yes, I am aware that eating dogs and cats is commonplace is some cultures, but I’m just using this as an example applied to Western culture).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I eat meat, love meat, love food. . . mmm....foood....

*wanders off to go get food*

monellia wrote: »
    You don’t see dogs and cats taking advantage of our benevolence and turning against us
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SK7rYxrqxY

This is ridiculous, and I must say I’m surprised by the number of people who push this “it got us where we are now” reasoning. Just because eating meat got us where we are now, doesn’t mean we need to continue doing it to maintain our position. Times change. Surely our intellectual and technological advancement will safeguard us against animals kicking up a riot and feasting on us all? :rolleyes: And what about the animals that we don’t eat? You don’t see dogs and cats taking advantage of our benevolence and turning against us (yes, I am aware that eating dogs and cats is commonplace is some cultures, but I’m just using this as an example applied to Western culture).

does the Earth have enough space on it to produce the amount of vegetable matter it would require to feed us all if we all went veggie? What would we do with all the cows, sheep, pigs, chickens etc that we raise for meat? Would we let them run free and wild? Would that not increase the number of wild sheep/cow/pig/chicken attacks? Would they not runamok on our crops if left to their own devices? Or do you suggest we keep them as pets?
    Do you disagree with pest control? How do you feel about eating carrots produced in places with high rabbit populations that must be culled? How about lettuce that required slugs to be killed so that you could eat it intact? There are animal casualties for every facet of modern human life.. for example modern sanitation has decimated rat populations, should we abandon that too?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3SK7rYxrqxY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3SK7rYxrqxY&hl=en&fs=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

does the Earth have enough space on it to produce the amount of vegetable matter it would require to feed us all if we all went veggie? What would we do with all the cows, sheep, pigs, chickens etc that we raise for meat? Would we let them run free and wild? Would that not increase the number of wild sheep/cow/pig/chicken attacks? Would they not runamok on our crops if left to their own devices? Or do you suggest we keep them as pets?
    Do you disagree with pest control? How do you feel about eating carrots produced in places with high rabbit populations that must be culled? How about lettuce that required slugs to be killed so that you could eat it intact? There are animal casualties for every facet of modern human life.. for example modern sanitation has decimated rat populations, should we abandon that too?

That is a pretty good arguement! You Sir deserve a thanks :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

I'm glad it's not just my parents who thought being a veggie was a phase.
    17 years later still veggie no interest in eating meat whatsoever.

If we didn’t cultivate animals for meat, there wouldn’t be as many animals. It’s as simple as that.

You seem to have the common misconception that a vegetarian diet consists predominantly of veggies. Switching from a non-vegetarian diet to a vegetarian diet does not necessarily entail upping your veggie intake, but rather substituting the meat in your diet with vegetarian alternatives. So yes, the Earth probably does have enough space on it to accommodate such a change. I don’t see why it wouldn’t.

No, I don’t agree with killing pests. There are plenty of humane methods of pest control, such as animal traps, non-lethal sprays and deterrants. I try to eat vegetables which are certified organic, so I know they are free from pesticides.

I know that some animal casualties are inevitable to sustain human life, but my point is that we should abandon all unnecessary practises which are harmful to animals. Eating meat is unnecessary to sustain human life.

If we didn’t cultivate animals for meat, there wouldn’t be as many animals. It’s as simple as that.

The reality is exactly the opposite. If we didn't cultivate, and thereby control, the populations of animals, they would runamok reproducing at will and eating our food. What do you suggest we do about that? Let them? Refuse to kill them because it's mean or not fair. Life's not fair. How do you feel about situations in desert countries where animals are herded from one place to the next and the humans with them drink the blood of the animal, they don't kill them, just use them for protein and liquid nourishment on their travels. Is that unethical or wrong to you? Would you rather the humans starved and parched to death? Leaving no one to lead the animals to water and food, and thereby condemning them to death too?
    You also haven't answered the question of what we do will all existing domesticated livestock?
    You seem to have the common misconception that a vegetarian diet consists predominantly of veggies. Switching from a non-vegetarian diet to a vegetarian diet does not necessarily entail upping your veggie intake, but rather substituting the meat in your diet with vegetarian alternatives. So yes, the Earth probably does have enough space on it to accommodate such a change. I don’t see why it wouldn’t..

The Earth doesn't even have enough space to feed the entire world's population now, even given that we harvest the seas and use animals for food. Where is this extra space going to come from?

What gave you the impression that i am misconceived about anything? If you must eat vegetarian alternatives (such as high protein pulses and the likes) then you are naturally increasing your veggie intake, or are meat-substitutes not made of vegetables? In which case, what are these alternatives made of, and how intensive is land use for their production. In other words, will we be able to produce enough of it for everyone to have some if we all give up meat. Bear in mind that meat-animals such as goats and sheep are bred in locations that are not conducive to raising crops..

No, I don’t agree with killing pests. There are plenty of humane methods of pest control, such as animal traps, non-lethal sprays and deterrants. I try to eat vegetables which are certified organic, so I know they are free from pesticides.

I know that some animal casualties are inevitable to sustain human life, but my point is that we should abandon all unnecessary practises which are harmful to animals. Eating meat is unnecessary to sustain human life.

deterrents, hmm, well when we need extra land to grow additional vegetable matter (be it for meat substitutes or just regular veg) we will then have to squeeze the natural habitat of many animals in order to acquire that space. This could drive herbivores into traditional predator ranges, making us responsible for the deaths of many more creatures than would have occured if things stayed as they were now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

VegagaYrians more like.

YEA!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Meat, love it and veg and deserts feck i am a foodie. Feck those veggies trying to ram thier beliefs down our throats excuse the pun.

And they always sound smug when they tell you btw I'm a veggie!!!

Advertisement