Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crannog, Dunshaughlin, Co. Meath

Options
  • 29-04-2009 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Someone I know is thinking about buying here and wants to know if anyone has any feedback. She is looking at a three-bed end of terrace which are currently on the market for €320k so wondering how much she would be able to pick one up for if she was to put in an offer as she really like the show homes.

She is a first time buyer with up to date mortgage approval in place.

She does the commute from Navan daily to Dublin so is aware of the traffic situation.

Has anyone any feedback please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

try to cut out the auctioneer and go straight to the builder/developer, and offer 50k , you may think that mad but its happening all over and i know of several cases not so far from where you are on about,

the max i would advise to offer is 150k end price but start at 50k

if they tell you the offer is mad walk away, but dont forget to tell them the money is ready be handed over ,they will bite your hand off ,thats only a smell of how bad it is at present

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Someone I know is thinking about buying here and wants to know if anyone has any feedback. She is looking at a three-bed end of terrace which are currently on the market for €320k so wondering how much she would be able to pick one up for if she was to put in an offer as she really like the show homes.

She is a first time buyer with up to date mortgage approval in place.

She does the commute from Navan daily to Dublin so is aware of the traffic situation.

Has anyone any feedback please.

I know a guy who has moved there from Navan and he is very happy with it. He has a wife and kid. The owner/developer of Crannóg is a member of the oldest family in Dunshaughlin and he is basically a farmer (albeit with a degree in civil engineering) who instead of selling his land to a property developer decided to build the houses himself. Just on his character I'd say the material used is of a higher quality than what a blow-in builder would build. But having said that I've never stepped inside one of the houses - I like the name, Crannóg, and its link with the famous Lagore Crannóg a few fields away.

PS: I wouldn't offer more than €280,000. There are deals to be got everywhere in Meath/Ireland, and I know plenty of people who are just talking to the builder directly and getting huge discounts.

PPS: Then again I wouldn't buy anywhere in Ireland for at least another 6 months - at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Actually, ignore what I said about the offering price; Leitrim Lad is probably more accurate on what you should really offer in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

worked on these houses personally,know the flynn brothers ,sound lads but not idiots ,houses are well built ,finished well the materials are at a higher spec ,i would say dont insult them with a stupid bid be reasonable and they be reasonable with u .it is a lovely quiet estate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭daltonm

endasmail wrote: »
    worked on these houses personally,know the flynn brothers ,sound lads but not idiots ,houses are well built ,finished well the materials are at a higher spec ,i would say dont insult them with a stupid bid be reasonable and they be reasonable with u .it is a lovely quiet estate

And so they should be well built - there are plenty of well built houses in Navan and Dublin and these have all reduced their prices.
    Serious problem with Dunshaughlin prices though, some lovely estates there, but prices for Crannog - Wayyyyyyy to expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

endasmail wrote: »

I'm sure they'd rather be insulted with a ridiculously low bid than the buyer choosing to go elsewhere. At least then they are in conversation with someone who is interested in buying their house. Go as low as you dare

I have put another bid in - my first was ridiculed by the EA 8 months ago - have adjusted downwards considering the worsening financial situation we are in and the fact that I like many others still lucky enough to have a job have taken a 10% pay cut.
    Waiting to hear the answer but not anticipating a positive reply....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Why spend that on a 3 bed when the when a 5 bed in Grange Hall is only about €270k and even at that you'd probably get it for 250k if you really tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Liverbird09

Hey Daltonm, Excuse my blatant nosiness I'd be very interested to discuss what levels you think you'd get away with bidding in there. I also had a low-baller rejected by the EA earlier this year :(, but what sort of figures are they talking now?

I reckon those 3 beds have to be in the 200s by now surely? And the 4-bed semi around 300 maybe? Please let me know how you get on! ;)

Hey Daltonm, Excuse my blatant nosiness I'd be very interested to discuss what levels you think you'd get away with bidding in there. I also had a low-baller rejected by the EA earlier this year :(, but what sort of figures are they talking now?

I reckon those 3 beds have to be in the 200s by now surely? And the 4-bed semi around 300 maybe? Please let me know how you get on! ;)

They are still looking for 350k for the 4 bed - totally unreasonable imo. I had a look at The Old Forge and they are a much nicer house, better finish, the road put me off at first but I've reconciled myself to it lol.
    They are about 320k, I'm holding at a lower price.

• Advertisement

Cheers Daltonm. I agree, totally over-priced. Things are only going to get worse so they'll regret holding the prices so high. I am also looking at Old Forge, €285k is the max I think they're worth. I think they would take €315k but its just not worth it. Have you seen the size of the gardens there though? Sooooo tiny, postage stamp size.

Cheers Daltonm. I agree, totally over-priced. Things are only going to get worse so they'll regret holding the prices so high. I am also looking at Old Forge, €285k is the max I think they're worth. I think they would take €315k but its just not worth it. Have you seen the size of the gardens there though? Sooooo tiny, postage stamp size.

I'm not much of a garden person to be honest - but I do think the house is nicer than Crannog - I wouldn't give anymore than 260k!! And they will take 315k if you are mortgage approved!!

We'll just have to see, my gut tells me that even that's a high offer - or will appear to be in 6 months...

Not a major garden person myself either, but I reckon most people are and thinking of re-sale, if you're up against a normal sized garden those Old Forge ones really don't cut it.

I reckon you are right on pricing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭paddy111199

We have been looking at this estate for the past year and prices havent really moved. Think the semi D is at 320 and detached at 375k.

Still overpriced imo but nice house.

What does everyone think and what is dunshaughlan like? thanks

We have been looking at this estate for the past year and prices havent really moved. Think the semi D is at 320 and detached at 375k.

Still overpriced imo but nice house.

What does everyone think and what is dunshaughlan like? thanks

Dunshaughlin is very nice, quiet enough and suitable for commuting.

Crannog - house prices still way off the chart considering you can now get 4 bed homes in older mature estates for as little as 260k (and still not selling).

More price drops on the way for Dunshaughlin..............

I agree I think that the house prices will continue to fall but the estate agents and builders need to get real!!

Putting up ridiculous house prices - 375k for a 1,600 sq ft house. Get real!

What do you all think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

My partner bought a Large 4 bed detached in Old Johnstown Navan for 250,000 k ( went for 480 k 4 years ago!) in Feb so the money they are looking for in Dunshaughlin seems very high for a 3 bed Semi-detached. The asking price was 310, he offered 280 which was accepted. However the bank reviewed his morgage application and decided they would not give him the 280 afterall and would only give him 250. So went back to the estate agent and they accepted it. So the bank did him a favour and saved him 30k.!!!

He was buying of a bank though as house was repossed so its well worth doing a bit of research into the developers to find out how desperate they are! ya never know bank might own them already!

Until such time that estate agents get real I will not become involved with property again. They talk such sh*te about how great the business is doing and that they cannot drop their prices.

GET FEC*EN REAL!!!!

We are going through our worst recession and their is such an over supply of property in the marketplace!

I agree I think that the house prices will continue to fall but the estate agents and builders need to get real!!

Putting up ridiculous house prices - 375k for a 1,600 sq ft house. Get real!

What do you all think?

I'm of the same mind paddy - you are talking about Crannog I think - prices way off the chart - plus I viewed them and didn't think they were anything to wrote home about - the old forge has reduced to 299k (still too expensive) but a far nicer house imo.

I agree, I think these houses are nice but way off the mark.

I think a new development is being starting in Dunshaughlin with detached at 350k but I think there are supposed to be 500+ houses. So it will be a "builders site" for a number of years!!
    Didnt look at the old forge and might go and see them - are there detached houses for sale ?? at what price?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

I agree, I think these houses are nice but way off the mark.

I think a new development is being starting in Dunshaughlin with detached at 350k but I think there are supposed to be 500+ houses. So it will be a "builders site" for a number of years!!
    Didnt look at the old forge and might go and see them - are there detached houses for sale ?? at what price?

Thanks

The Old Forge is far and away the nicest-looking building development in Domhnach Seachnaill. I don't know what the materials are like inside, but it certainly beats any other place hands down in terms of aesthetics.

The only reason I'd avoid it is that it's on a fairly busy road, the Dunshaughlin-Ratoath road. But looks wise, it's really attractive.

I agree about the road, initially it was a concern of mine too - but I don't have young kids and a gate would suit me!

They are now 299k, no detached afaik, I viewed one when it was a shell and I viewed the showhouse in Crannog and absolutely hated it - it was like a dolls house, everything crammed into the downstairs although the upstairs seemed more spacious - can't get my head around more space where you sleep then where you live???

I would consider them at 220k.

Edit - wow I just re-read the whole thread and I offered 260k last year - how things and times have changed!!

There are only semi d available in the forge so not really interested unfortunatly.

Do like crannog but way too expensive. The new detached houses in the new estate on the dublin road are way bigger and will be a lot lot less per sq/ft so unless the developer drops the price in crannog they will never sell imo.

There are only semi d available in the forge so not really interested unfortunatly.

Do like crannog but way too expensive. The new detached houses in the new estate on the dublin road are way bigger and will be a lot lot less per sq/ft so unless the developer drops the price in crannog they will never sell imo.

Well the 3 bed in the new development is asking 185k, down from the initial 220k or 230k (forget which).

That does not bode well for the couple of 3 beds on the market asking 240k ish - and it certainly wipes the 2 bed apts off the list - they are asking 180k ish.

Time will tell.

Prices for the Willows.

3 bedroom Townhouse - 100m2 (1076 sq. ft) €185,000
    3 Bedroom End of Terrace Townhouse - 99.87 m2 - (1075 sq. ft) €195,000
    3 Bedroom End of Terrace Townhouse - 113 m2 - (1216 sq. ft) €205,000
    3 Bedroom Semi Detached - 130 m2 (1400 sq. ft) €250,000
    3 Bedroom Semi Detached + Extension -144 m2 (1550 sq. ft) €270,000
    4 Bedroom Semi Detached - 185m2 (1992 sq. ft) €295,000
    4 Bedroom Semi Detached on Corner Site - 206m2 (2220 sq. ft) €325,000
    4 Bedroom Detached - 166m2 (1786 sq. ft) €350,000

Not a chance in hell would I buy one of these as they are overpriced - 250k for a 3 bed?

I was told 185k - but that is for the townhouse.

Might pop along to the opening - but I can tell you that anyone buying these are mad - it's obvious that they want them on the market before the budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 runer69

Just wondering if anyone has heard if any of propertys left in Crannog have had their prices drop?
    daltonm wrote: »
    Dunshaughlin is very nice, quiet enough and suitable for commuting.

Crannog - house prices still way off the chart considering you can now get 4 bed homes in older mature estates for as little as 260k (and still not selling).

More price drops on the way for Dunshaughlin..............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

still houses left down there

your best bet is talk to the auctioneer about prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1 karl shannon

crannog is a nice place to live in (once you fit in ). i have a 8 year old girl that was bullied from the word go by one boy his family did not want to know it had a knock on effect with all the other kids . she spend most off her time in her room playing music. there is four or five girls around the same age "THEY ALL INGORE HER ".2 years later nothing has change we don't why. all. the mothers know all about it but don't want to know same old story "if its not our child we dont to care" .IF YOU DON'T FIT IN DON'T MOVE IN.

Advertisement