Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charlie Whiting inadvertanlty reveals he's an idiot and/or stooge

• 29-04-2009 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭

From Autosport:
    Whiting, who was present in both hearings that debated whether or not Hamilton had let Jarno Trulli past behind the safety car in Australia, has told AUTOSPORT that he had noticed a change in the world champion's behaviour in the two meetings.

"I was distinctly uncomfortable about Lewis's demeanour on Sunday [in Australia], and on Thursday [in Malaysia] I would say he was just doing what he was told to do," said Whiting. "On Sunday it was completely clear that he was telling lies.

Riddle me this Whiting:

If it was "completely clear he was telling lies" that day:

WHY
    did you make a decision about the race result without further reviewing the evidence?

I can only think of two reasons:
    1) Moron
    2) Setting things up to see if political capital could be gained against McLaren and Ron Dennis.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

3) Revisionist recollection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Nope - he asked Hamilton twice at the first hearing if he was *sure* that he hadn't moved over. Remember, McLaren had already tried to get an answer out of him while the incident was happening - but he never responded.

I am leaning strongly towards "stooge"

Nope - he asked Hamilton twice at the first hearing if he was *sure* that he hadn't moved over. Remember, McLaren had already tried to get an answer out of him while the incident was happening - but he never responded.

I am leaning strongly towards "stooge"

It was Steve Chopping who asked Hamilton the questions. Whiting is there, but doesn't get a say in the outcome. The three stewarts and Alan Donnelly make the decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Do you think if Whiting had stood up in the meeting and said "I know you're a liar because I heard the radio transmissions and you asked me about it during the race" it wouldn't have had an effect?

It has already been stated by the FIA that Whiting asked Hamilton the two questions .. in question. I don't know where you're getting alternative informatiion.

And none of that addresses why a man who was "clearly lying" was allowed to lie twice in one week without being pulled up on it, OR why a decision was made on the race result in the liar's favour. But none of this is getting asked, which suits Max down to the ground I'm sure.

Do you think if Whiting had stood up in the meeting and said "I know you're a liar because I heard the radio transmissions and you asked me about it during the race" it wouldn't have had an effect?

There is no evidence to suggest that Whiting or the stewarts at the time of the first stewart meeting had heard the radio transmission. Just because they had the capability to listen to the recording does not mean they did. The numerous stories written would give the very strong impression that neither Whiting or the stewarts had heard the radio transmissions at the time of the first stewart meeting. The press release from the WMSC says: "based on this information, a recording of the pit-to-car radio exchanges between Hamilton and McLaren was retrieved and examined by the Stewards and the FIA Race Director". This was after the first meeting. I have not read anywhere where it says that Whiting or the stewarts had heard the recording later used as evidence against McLaren and Hamilton before the first stewart meeting.

Do you know what question Dave Ryan asked Whiting during the last two laps and slow down lap? Was it something like "Trulli went off and Lewis went past. Now Trulli overtook Lewis behind the safety car. Can Lewis take the place back?" Was it something like "Trulli went off, Lewis went past and Lewis then let Trulli past. Can he retake the place?" I don't know. Do you know?

It has already been stated by the FIA that Whiting asked Hamilton the two questions .. in question. I don't know where you're getting alternative informatiion.

Kinda. Yeah, your right the press release does say that Whiting asked him whether he let Trulli pass. Chopping had asked the previous question about whether the team told Lewis to let Trulli pass. This question is referenced in the press release but unattributed. I am getting my information from an article written by Adam Cooper of Autosport. The co-author of the story you linked to at the start of this thread and was written at the same time as the linked article above but has more detail.
    And none of that addresses why a man who was "clearly lying" was allowed to lie twice in one week without being pulled up on it, OR why a decision was made on the race result in the liar's favour. But none of this is getting asked, which suits Max down to the ground I'm sure.

I still stand by the "clearly lying" is a revisionist recollection. Body language, speech patterns and behaviour will all take on an ulterior motive in hindsight. During the first stewart meeting there was no evidence other than the sector timing and the two drivers with two conflicting opinions. Why not believe the world champion seeing as he wasn't the one who went off the track.

If you want to find a conspiracy then you will find a conspiracy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement