Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overthinking it?

Options
  • 29-04-2009 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

Anyone else been thinking loads about their course their putting down?

Ive been overthinking it, and as soon as I start to feel sure about my CAO,
    I just start thinking, 'but what if I get in and dont like it?'

Aggh! Its drivin me mad!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Hey,
    Im in the same position as yourself...I just keep on calculating my points to see what I can get.Its annoying alright.I keep on worrying about the points I will get.I do this instead of studying which is ironic because its obviously going to affect the points I get.Sorry I dont have any advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭b12mearse

You don't have to go to college. There are great careers out there that don't require college education.
    Also beware, schools want you to apply for college because the numbers of people who go on to attend third level makes the school look good.
    Teachers putting pressure on students to attend college may not have your best interests at heart, maybe the best interests of the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 russelljames

Yes, totally
    My average markings over the past two years add me up to about 400 points, while all my courses are a minimum of 450. im just hoping i can reach it to there by June :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yeah I spent 6th year pretty conflicted... I ended changing my CAO almost at the last minute to the course I'm doing now and haven't regretted it at all. ... Okay, well sometimes when I meet arts students who have 1/3 the hours of me, I get angry, but otherwise no.

I suppose the worry is "okay I like this subject atm, but will it be the same in college?" (or at least that was my issue), and yeah, things can change in college. Maths in college, for example, is less about having formulae and concepts thrown at you, for you to absorb and then reuse in an exam (though this does happen!...thank god), and more about understanding the concepts and coming up with proofs etc. I think the best way to arm yourself against getting a big shock when you go to college is basically research the course a fair bit and see if you can get an idea of what sort of stuff is involved.

Ultimately though you won't know exactly, and sure, you may make the wrong choice and end up not enjoying your course. If this happens, it's not the end of the world - you can drop out and reapply next year, you can change internally, etc. Don't worry too much about it. Just think a moderate amount about your choice, make sure it's something you're likely to enjoy, and then get back to studying for your LC. : p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I flip-flop constantly. Medicine is the dream, but as regards second choice, I can't settle on anything.

Which is a shame, seeing as that's what I'll most likely be doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

I can't decide at all. I was set on science for a while but then I don't know if I'll really enjoy it. And the high dropout/failure rates for it put me off too.

I should sell my soul and do something that's just likely to get me lots of money. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

cautioner wrote: »
    I flip-flop constantly. Medicine is the dream, but as regards second choice, I can't settle on anything.

Which is a shame, seeing as that's what I'll most likely be doing.

This is me too. I've been settled on my first for over a dream, but the rest changes daily. The most annoying thing is that I'd probably get my first if I studied instead of spending hours researching random courses. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Futurism wrote: »
    I can't decide at all. I was set on science for a while but then I don't know if I'll really enjoy it. And the high dropout/failure rates for it put me off too.

I should sell my soul and do something that's just likely to get me lots of money. ;)
    Im likin your way of thinkin...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I keep changing my mind drastically.

I'll prolly do Arts, so I'm not tied down if I change my mind after June.

Advertisement