Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car alarm

• 29-04-2009 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭

looking for someone who could supply and fit a car alarm to a Peugeot 206.Just looking for basic alarm(cheap)

Anyone with any contact details would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AFAIK, the 206 has an excellent factory immobiliser as standard, which makes it virtually impossible to steal the car without the keys. Is there any particular reason why you want to fit an alarm as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭groomek

Its my girlfriends first car and she is insisting on a car alarm

I'd try to talk her out of it, if I were you. Not only is it wasted money, but cutting into a car's wiring is never a good plan. Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 keith-b

mds in ballyfermot do alarms they are great at fiiting and give good after sales i have had over ten cars done by them and never one problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd try to talk her out of it, if I were you. Not only is it wasted money, but cutting into a car's wiring is never a good plan. Just my 2c.

Seriously, do you have any idea what you are on about?
    Talking somebody out of getting a car alarm? :rolleyes:

I agree with Keith above. I've heard great things about mds

• Advertisement

Bryn wrote: »
    Seriously, do you have any idea what you are on about?
    Talking somebody out of getting a car alarm? :rolleyes:
    If you have a point then feel free to make it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

If you have a point then feel free to make it...
    my house has a lock on it, doesn't stop someone smashing a window and taking my stereo

my house has a lock on it, doesn't stop someone smashing a window and taking my stereo
    Sure, but people don't tend to steal coded, low-value, vehicle-specific stereos too much any more. Unless there's something of particular value in the car, the cost and potential aggravation of fitting an aftermarket alarm doesn't really make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

keith-b wrote: »
    mds in ballyfermot do alarms they are great at fiiting and give good after sales i have had over ten cars done by them and never one problem

just got my car back from these lads i've had a couple done by these before
    worth every penny all bells and whistles 1000 euro's well spent ,

i think the basic alarm they do is about 350 fitted
    i just went a bit overboard and got the works fook recession lol

they can take ma house but ya dunni take ma carrrr
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    scottish accent lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

Talk someone out of getting an alarm! I heard it all now. Maybe the lady would like to change her head unit for an aftermarket item. Too many reasons to list, why people should have alarm's fitted. MDS ftw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

enviro wrote: »
    Talk someone out of getting an alarm! I heard it all now. Maybe the lady would like to change her head unit for an aftermarket item. Too many reasons to list, why people should have alarm's fitted. MDS ftw

The car can't be driven without the key, no need for an alarm.
    If some sumbag wants the fancy head unit they don't give a fook if there's an alarm or not, they smash the window and take it.

But the OP's other half wants an alarm for peace of mind, there's no need to spend hundreds on a fancy alarm. You can get cheap alarms in most motorfactors and they will do for what's required. Keeping peace and quite in the OP's house:D

Del2005 wrote: »
    The car can't be driven without the key, no need for an alarm.
    If some sumbag wants the fancy head unit they don't give a fook if there's an alarm or not, they smash the window and take it.

But the OP's other half wants an alarm for peace of mind, there's no need to spend hundreds on a fancy alarm. You can get cheap alarms in most motorfactors and they will do for what's required. Keeping peace and quite in the OP's house:D
    Exactly what I said, get an alarm. On the point of scum not caring about if there is an alarm or not. They do of course. If they know there is an alarm fitted, 9/10 times they will just move on to a car with none fitted. Less risk of being caught. No brainer really. Also get a headunit with a removable face plate, to avoid theft of the unit.

5 REASONS TO HAVE AN ALARM FITTED:

1) Beats staring out the window at an empty driveway.
    2) The alarm creates another level of difficulty for the thief who intends to quietly sneak in and steal.
    3) An alarm won't stop thieves, but it might alert someone. 4) Lessens the time before the guards are notified, increasing the chances of recovery of property stolen.
    5)The fact that it can lower your insurance rates.

1) Beats staring out the window at an empty driveway.
    How will an aftermarket alarm prevent a 206 from being stolen?

How will an aftermarket alarm prevent a 206 from being stolen?

Same way it does in every other car with one fitted. A 206 isn't any different.
    An alarm doesn't stop a car from being stolen it acts as a deterrent.

Same way it does in every other car with one fitted. A 206 isn't any different.
    An alarm doesn't stop a car from being stolen it acts as a deterrent.
    I ask again - how will an aftermarket alarm prevent a 206 from being stolen?

That's not an answer. Would you like another go, or are you ready to admit that you're wrong?

Point out where I was wrong.

Point out where I was wrong.
    Here:

1) Beats staring out the window at an empty driveway
    The 206 has a factory immobiliser, it's not going anywhere without either the key or a low loader.

What about theft from within the car? I suppose you don't see the point in protecting that. That's up to you.

• Advertisement

What about theft from within the car? I suppose you don't see the point in protecting that. That's up to you.
    Wrong again - I posted this yesterday:
    Unless there's something of particular value in the car, the cost and potential aggravation of fitting an aftermarket alarm doesn't really make sense.
    In future, you might consider the following system: 1.) Read the thread. 2.) Think. 3.) Post a reply. ;)

Just because you thought it or wrote it, doesn't make it fact:rolleyes:. What about the "potential aggravation" of a broken window or a stolen car. If what you are trying to say was true, there wouldn't be such companies making alarms and endless amount of installers. Also what you said about a low loader, a decent alarm will help prevent this too. So that only leaves the keys and a house alarm will help here.:D

Just because you thought it or wrote it, doesn't make it fact:rolleyes:. What about the "potential aggravation" of a broken window or a stolen car. If what you are trying to say was true, there wouldn't be such companies making alarms and endless amount of installers. Also what you said about a low loader, a decent alarm will help prevent this too. So that only leaves the keys and a house alarm will help here.:D
    Sure, Ted, whatever.;)

Intelligent reply well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Handbags away ladies!
    What about the "potential aggravation" of a broken window

An alarm won't stop em from smashin the window, it'll just make em leggit quicker once they've done it!

Intelligent reply well done.
    Ah, the sweet irony!

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Handbags away ladies!

An alarm won't stop em from smashin the window, it'll just make em leggit quicker once they've done it!

True but you still have your stuff. All I said was the alarm is better there than not, but some people try force their opinion on you by saying your opinion is wrong.

Grahamo999: You can get the option of proxy senors on decent alarms so it may save the window in some cases. Unless the scum lob the brick from a distance that is :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Ah I know, no point in bickering though!

Now kiss and make up :)

Yeah and Im prob a little tender on this subject as my car was stolen last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Sure, Ted, whatever.;)

Why are you being such a tosser? You are telling everybody that posts on this thread that they have no idea what they are on about, and from everybody else's point of view, you are the one who doesn't have a clue. Just cos a car has an immobiliser, it does NOT mean it is safe from being stolen. If you think that, you are a bigger fool than I thought.

And just for a point you made earlier about cutting a cars wiring.......there is absolutly no harm in it IF it is done be a certified alarm fitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

im not sure i want to get into this debate again:), i would definetly prefer a car with an alarm,for peace of mind,but i certainly wouldnt be spending too much money on getting an alarm fitted to a car with an immobiliser,if there is nothing on view in the car worth taking i doubt anyone will go near it,

unless the car is likely to be stolen to order or of very high value i wouldnt put an alarm in it (my car already had an alarm it when i bought it) unless its a jap import!

do joyriders like 206`s??

Why are you being such a tosser?.
    I'm not, you just don't like my point.
    You are telling everybody that posts on this thread that they have no idea what they are on about.
    No, i'm putting forward my opinions.
    and from everybody else's point of view, you are the one who doesn't have a clue.
    This made me laugh.
    Just cos a car has an immobiliser, it does NOT mean it is safe from being stolen. If you think that, you are a bigger fool than I thought.
    A 206 with a factory immobiliser is highly unlikely to be stolen without either the key or a flatbed truck.
    And just for a point you made earlier about cutting a cars wiring.......there is absolutly no harm in it IF it is done be a certified alarm fitting.
    Cutting into wiring is never good and, as anyone with experience of cars will tell you, aftermarket alarms can be troublesome.

When you've got over your little tantrum, you might find your way to discussing the pros & cons of alarms without having to resort to personal insults. That sort of childishness is particularly inappropriate coming from a moderator, don't you think?

@ ANAN1
    if i was a thief and wanted a 206 i'd get one that hasn't got a alarm and just has factory ftted immobiliser id simply wait till that person is approaching there car and take there keys and good luck to you and good luck your 206 .....simple as that
    now if the 206 had a clifford alarm with black jack enabled which isn't cheap then even if they have the keys they wont even get out of the drive way ,
    the clifford sticker on the car alone is a deterent ..
    thiefs aviod cars with clifford alarms ,
    i'm 30 years of age and there seems to be alot of kiddie comments on here and people dont like to here the truth .

anyway ive more to be doing than explaining how a clifford alarm compares to a standard 206 immobiliser ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

@ ANAN1
    if i was a thief and wanted a 206 i'd get one that hasn't got a alarm and just has factory ftted immobiliser id simply wait till that person is approaching there car and take there keys and good luck to you and good luck your 206 .....simple as that
    now if the 206 had a clifford alarm with black jack enabled which isn't cheap then even if they have the keys they wont even get out of the drive way ,
    i'm 30 years of age and there seems to be alot of kiddie comments on here and people dont like to here the truth .

anyway ive more to be doing than explaining how a clifford alarm compares to a standard 206 immobiliser ,

Do you not think if someone is going to mug someone for the keys for a car and when they get into the car and it doesn't start they won't just get out and beat them more till they tell them how to start it?

I for one would rather hand over my keys for any car then have some scumbag threaten me or my family, after all a car is insured people aren't.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Do you not think if someone is going to mug someone for the keys for a car and when they get into the car and it doesn't start they won't just get out and beat them more till they tell them how to start it?

I for one would rather hand over my keys for any car then have some scumbag threaten me or my family, after all a car is insured people aren't.

yeah id hand over my keys no problem ,
    but i wont be hangin around to tell the thiefin scum how to start it ,
    and what buttons to press and where the code buttons are ,''

as i said before even the clifford sticker is a deterent for scum they just wont bother its not worth the hassle ...

i take your point mate it is only metal but i worked to hard and too many hours to give some scum bag the code to my alarm

• Advertisement

@ ANAN1

If we were talking about some kind of a Japanese import AWD turbocharged road rocket then i'd be in complete agreement with you. The OP, however, is talking about his GF's first car, a Peugeot 206, most likely a 1.1/1.4. It's not particularly attractive to thieves in the first place, and it does have an excellent factory immobiliser. Unless valuables are going to be left in the car, is there really any point in paying big money for a high-end alarm? And if she were to be mugged, do you really expect her to withold the code? In any case, my guess is that the OP's GF just wants a normal alarm, and simply won't be willing to pay for blackjack etc. This will leave her €2-300 down, with a car that's no less likely to be stolen, and possibly with the odd flat battery/electrical problem to boot.

yeah i get what your sayin ANAN ,
    she could always just buy clifford stickers of ebay only a few euro lol

Advertisement