Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Lynch

• 29-04-2009 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭

Does anyone think it's a disgrace that a child so young getting dragged into pubs as a publicity stunt?? I saw an ad in the Waterford People that he's in Harveys with Aslan and the times they give is 9-11pm. Also my mother just told me that he was supposedly in Dignity performing his dancing routine. I don't think it's right having a child at 6/7 years of age in a pub/late bar at that time of the night.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If he was in america it wouldn't actually be allowed to come onto the premises at do that at his age,

I;d agree its a disgrace and shows a complete disregard by the parents to be dragging a kid around to places so late and with so many drunk people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I didn't think children were allowed in pubs here that late either. Although perhaps it is different because he is performing rather than a customer. But would that count as "work"? Because him "working" that late wouldn't be allowed either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

It's illegal. This is just a case of the law not being enforced, unless someone complained. Children are not allowed on a liciensed premised after 9pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

i do agree that the kid shouldn't be out in pubs after the legal time minors to be off the premises has expired....

but please, no harm in the kid making money, it can go towards helping him out in the future, if he's got a bit of talent and people are willing to pay for it... go for it young man... make your money ....

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

The blame is defo with the parents!!!!!!
    They should be ashamed!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Topic Cleaned.

Seriously, when posting have some consideration for what damage you could cause by making some of those remarks.

Sorry Sully!!
    IMO kids should not be allowed onto licensed premises after 9pm!!
    working or otherwise.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fair enough but in my personal view I don't think its suitable to have any kids in a pub or nightclub at that hour of night, I'm saying this based on my experience given my family owned a pub.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Sully, in all fairness, both comments which you edited should only be slightly changed to "in my opinion" rather than deleted, because in all fairness you have to ask yourself, if you were a parent, which I am by the way, would you allow yourself send your 8 year old child(which I also have too) out to pubs and venues like this to do this.

I can tell you that I certainly would not, and if I did I would not be a responsible parent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Sully, in all fairness, both comments which you edited should only be slightly changed to "in my opinion" rather than deleted, because in all fairness you have to ask yourself, if you were a parent, which I am by the way, would you allow yourself send your 8 year old child(which I also have too) out to pubs and venues like this to do this.

I can tell you that I certainly would not, and if I did I would not be a responsible parent.

It doesnt really matter though, its still slanderous to the parents and could result in legal action against Boards. Iv asked for the admins to review it anyway. Id suggest you read over some of the threads located here which may guide you; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1195

Feel free to discuss this over PM, but its out of my control what is and isnt allowed. It doesnt matter what we think either, its not going to change the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I'm a parent too and agree with you in principle, but we're not in the situation they're in.

So, I'm gonna look at this from another angle for a sec. The kid has a talent for dancing and is relatively well-known down here now. I've always held the opinion that you should allow your child to follow whatever path they choose (within reason) and then be there for them at all times to either help them if things go wrong, or to share in their delight if they go right. If playing at these clubs/pubs help develop the kid's talent and enthusiasm, and the parents are there with him to make sure he's well looked after, is there really any harm in it? I doubt the parents have any motive other than to ensure their child is happy doing what he's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

And pad their pockets with some shiny retirement gold. Kinda stink of those American beauty pageants off this.

But to be honest, If the kid wants to do it, if his parents are happy with letting him do it, and the punters are happy to pay money to see this kid... then... what's the problem really?

It's all a little "What about the children?!" for my liking...

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I agree with you about if a child has a talent then everything should be done to help bring that child talent along, but these types of venues are not the proper arena for this to happen.
    I'll give you an example of how a proper management company were seen to look after a minor who had excellent talent. Eoin Quigg, we all remember him, he was on X Factor, well he embarked on a tour of Ireland after the X Factor finished and his management company got him plenty of gigs around the Rep, but because of his age, these gigs could only take place in venues that held teen age events. He played in venues in Waterford, Kilkenny, Wexford, and Carlow, and all were at teen age discos which only had mineral bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I agree with you about if a child has a talent then everything should be done to help bring that child talent along, but these types of venues are not the proper arena for this to happen.
    I'll give you an example of how a proper management company were seen to look after a minor who had excellent talent. Eoin Quigg, we all remember him, he was on X Factor, well he embarked on a tour of Ireland after the X Factor finished and his management company got him plenty of gigs around the Rep, but because of his age, these gigs could only take place in venues that held teen age events. He played in venues in Waterford, Kilkenny, Wexford, and Carlow, and all were at teen age discos which only had mineral bars.

Fair point, but Eoin Quigg has had a lot more exposure already and he was put in those clubs confident that people would turn up to see him alone. The situation with Jack Lynch is different. He's not as well-known, so to put him on in a club may have led to embarrassment for the kid if sales were poor or non-existent. Plus, his stage act wouldn't last as long as Quigg's. So, putting him on for a 15 minute stint in a pub was the better option. Granted, the crowd weren't there to see him, but may instead have enjoyed his performance and may remember him in future. If that happens, then he has gained a little more exposure and confidence. Killing a child's confidence should be avoided at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I think it is outrageous that a child is allowed perform late at night in a licensed premises.

I#'ve no problem with Sully editing my post as I understand that libel laws in Ireland suck and boards needs to protect itself,

I've said my peace and based it on my own personal experience its not directed at Jack Lynch or her parents directly and is an overall observation of kids in pubs/clubs

Eoin Quigg wasnt allowed into the after show/events due to his age IIRC.

After consulting with the Smods on this, I have restored one edit and one post. :)

Making accusations against the family is over the line and such posts will be removed to ensure no harm is caused to Boards.ie legally.

j walsh wrote: »
    The blame is defo with the parents!!!!!!
    They should be ashamed!!!!!!!!

I can see where your coming from with this quote sully with the legal side of things.
    But it certainly wasn't meant as a personal attack on his parents as i don't know them.
    I'm a parent myself and IMO there's other ways to get exposure for your son other than a late bar after 9pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

So we're all in agreement then. Eoghan Quigg is getting burned at the stake?

• Advertisement

Eoghan Quigg was put into clubs to entertain kids his own age, at teenage discos where no alcohol was sold. Harveys had Jack Lynch performing for the students recently as well which meant that he didn't go on til after 11pm... Regardless of whether or not you think he has a talent that should be seen by people....i think it's amazing that Harveys are actually getting away this, especially when you see how strict the laws are about everything else you can't do in a night club in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 WMT

imo it's a catch 22 situation
    on one hand you have a very talented kid wishing to do what he does best
    on the other hand he is too young (8 ) to be in a licensed premises after 9pm
    but as posted in another thread recently, there is no other place in Waterford other than the pub to showcase your talents , if you're in the entertainment business....

WMT wrote: »
    but as posted in another thread recently, there is no other place in Waterford other than the pub to showcase your talents , if you're in the entertainment business....

Still does't make it right, sure couldn't they put a stage in city square or something....alot more suited then drunk people falling around the place at 11pm a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

I had to laugh at this thread

WMT wrote: »

As far as I know, Harveys don't like to see its acts appearing anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Please fill us in on what you found so funny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Who,s Jack Lynch :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

me too, the most ridiculous thread on the whole of the interweb
    meldrew wrote: »
    Please fill us in on what you found so funny?

the original post, the hoiler than thou attitude and then the subsequent posts berating the childs family and turning this into something way more than it actually is. anyone would think the child was being loaned to paedophiles. its a situation where someone thinks they should be outraged, puts on their keyboard warrior helmet and starts the most ridiculous thread ever. congrats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

decies wrote: »
    Who,s Jack Lynch :confused:

he's a breakdancing kid who has a tunnel in cork named after him. used to be taoiseach. played a bit of gaelic, wasn't a bad hurler either. not bad going for an eight year old

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

longshanks wrote: »
    he's a breakdancing kid who has a tunnel in cork named after him. used to be taoiseach. played a bit of gaelic, wasn't a bad hurler either. not bad going for an eight year old

hahaha fcuking classic dont post on here much but that one gave us a laugh :D i say fair play to jack,he should be allowed to show his talent whenever he gets the oppertunity,im REALLY not saying anyones begrudging him or owt,but he will be supervised etc best of luck to him

Advertisement