Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up school

Options
  • 29-04-2009 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

hey,
    just wondering if anyone has given up school and is just studying themselves?I stopped going the other day and I realised how much more I got done.Im thinking of doing it for the rest of the year.Do you think you would get more work done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I couldn't do it, I've no self control when it comes to boring things like studying. I know a girl who did it and it didn't work out well for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

at least go to a place where its good to study, like the library or something.

ive stopped going to pass maths, and paper1 and poetry english class, but wer still revising in other classes, which i find helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭fig mclough

havnt stoped yet, but will probly be sent home next week for acting the bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

guys, you like kinda have to go to school.... you may think its useless but what if your teacher mentions some tip or a piece of advice and you miss it...

crazy.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

we don't even get the chance to study at home before the exams, we have block classes, an hour and a half each for the last 2 weeks of school while the rest of the school are doing exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

we are finished on the 20th of may. after that we can come in and study or work with certain teachers if they will have you! but ill stay at home once the grad is over!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Half my timetable is full of studies (also because I don't do PE). The only classes really worth going to are history, business and German. So I usually end up going home early most days.

I actually find I can't study properly at all when I'm in school. The uniform is uncomfortable and I can't relax in it, I can't go for an hourly cigarette or even a cup of fricken tea, and the people around me in study distract me like hell. Not to mention a bell that goes off everyone 30 minutes.

Thank Buddha we get a week before the actual LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I stayed at home today and have done f-all yet. Meant to be going out tonight aswell. Don't think I'll bother now. Studying is just too f**king boring now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

poisonated wrote: »
    hey,
    just wondering if anyone has given up school and is just studying themselves?I stopped going the other day and I realised how much more I got done.Im thinking of doing it for the rest of the year.Do you think you would get more work done?

I know what you mean.

I learnt very little in school (combination of crap teachers and lack of interest) but I was able to get a sh*t load of study done when I sat at home with a book and read it.

You need to discuss this with your school and your parents though; this is not a decision you should make on your own without anyone being aware of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

K4t wrote: »
    I stayed at home today and have done f-all yet. Meant to be going out tonight aswell. Don't think I'll bother now. Studying is just too f**king boring now.
    Same as that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I usually go in about 3 days a week. I don't really do much at home but I do nothing in school either.

I usually go in about 3 days a week. I don't really do much at home but I do nothing in school either.

You will regret this in later life, 100% guaranteed...

why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

K4t wrote: »
    Went out.

Hangover just about finishing now. That's a day and a half of no study. Brilliant.

why?

I know there are some people who never went to school, or who did badly in school, and went on to become incredibly successful, but for the other 99% of the population...

Your leaving cert results will greatly impact the quality of your life. I know studying sucks, and I know school is boring and seems irrelevant, but that little exam will determine which college you go to (and the right college and course is important) and in effect how much money you earn for the rest of your life.

Nearly every adult wishes they could go back in time and study a little bit harder for their leaving cert so they would get more points and get into a better college course.

I promise you it will be worth it in the end if you study a lot and do well in your exams. Life is hard, but you can make it easier by getting a good leaving cert and going to a good college.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I know there are some people who never went to school, or who did badly in school, and went on to become incredibly successful, but for the other 99% of the population...

I think the figures are that about 10-15% of those who start secondary school don't do a Leaving, or are not successful (more than 5 passes at OL) in the Leaving. Boards.ie is not at all representative of what's out there.

I don't really mind, I got 385ish in my mocks and I only need 350 for my 2nd choice. my 1st is 500 but it's too late to start studying for that. I might regret it but I don't think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Mite just start stayin at home a s I get way more done. In school I just arse around tbh. Only subjects I need to go in for are Eng, French and Irish the others I'm better off doin at home

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

i wish i lived near my school and could come and go as i please! i lived over 8miles away....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

aw lads, i love the IDEA of staying at home and studying, but i know i wouldnt do anything. going to stay home wednesday though, i have art exams thursday and friday, so i'll see what i can get done then.

on the other hand, maybe, if i could get the head down i'd do better.most of my classes havn't finished the course yet (im amazed some of you have!) biology still has the whole of genetics to get done. dcg is revising, english is nothing worth going to, irish...a joke (though its pass), maths is doing papers, french is doing business letters this comming week (kinda revising) and dont get me started on business. my teacher is the most sarcastic useless waste of oxygen. im sure theres more.

so two possibiities, but i think ill stick with it for the laughs at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Mr.S wrote: »
    why not study like mad for the 4 weeks and a few days left, get the 500 points and then you get the course you really want to do?

The worst that could happen is you don't get your first choice but still get a good leaving?

Im not being a smart ass here but do you think thats possible studying like mad over 4 weeks and doing pretty well in the leaving?I ask because I got 200 in the mocks:o and im hoping to get 350 in the leaving
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Im not being a smart ass here but do you think thats possible studying like mad over 4 weeks and doing pretty well in the leaving?I ask because I got 200 in the mocks:o and im hoping to get 350 in the leaving
    thanks

Depends how well you work, how productive your frantic studying is.

Basically, work like fúck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

If it wasn't for the incompotence of my DCG teacher I probably would go in 2 days a week, but since he is such a genius we still have a full question left to start!

Luckily I have a car so I can leave early etc when needs be.

Also, I find that being in school a bit keeps me motivated because I see how hard other people are working, and being very competitive it spurs me on a bit. That's just me though. I find that I feel less and less motivated with every passing day when I'm on a more extended break. Just a personal thing like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

My days are annoyingly half-useful. Worth going in for Maths, French, and Music, but we do nothing of any use in English or Irish. We're still tidying up the Biology course, doing the last few experiments, so that's pretty important. Then there's stupid classes: Religion, PE, LCVP, etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I've started taking half days...best thing i could have done. The only thing worth going in for is accountancy and chemistry.
    In biology today we played a game. In english she told us we'd all fail if we didn't cop on and then left us to study/chat for the class. Irish, new teacher since easter, and shes soooo unbelievably bad! Im not joking when I say our vocabulary/grammar/sentence structure is better than hers :eek: So the only thing I can do for those classes is go home and do my own study, sitting gawping at the teacher isnt gunna help :(
    School and homework is just a distraction from studying at this stage :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

thanks

Well think about it like this, the ones you failed(presuming you did) Did you get in the 30s? like i got 39 in 2 subjects just one more percent and that would of added 90 more points. Getting in and around the 30s in your mocks isn't the end of the world, do a bit of a work and you should be getting at least a c3 by the time the leaving cert comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

yeah I got about 37 in 2....worked my ass off on those 2 since so... I suppose your right,thanks

I would not recommend studying at home instead of attending classes this early! But certainly, instead of going to pointless classes like Religion, PE or Careers(Well that is if you don't know what course you want to do yet), make use of the time to study instead! Anyway you'd miss all the fun on your last day of school!icon7.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You will regret it big time mate.

I tried it and then got a full time job at the start of 6th year and I have regretted it for the last 11 years, I really wish I finsihed off 6th year in school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Ive stayed at home the last 2 days now and im getting a lot more done then if i was in school, im following my school time table and taken about 10 min brakes in between in the subjects.

Advertisement