Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone in Auckland at the mo?

Options
  • 29-04-2009 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Whats the job scene like there at present? Been back here 8 months now...usually easily eneough to find work there...Ireland is getting much worse now and think I might leave here(Cork) - my visa is up in July..will be sad leaving Ireland again but they wrecken 600,000 will be unemployed this time next year...not much hope herre at all!!

Anyone out there in Auckland could give me an idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

What area are you thinking about working in?

I work in hospitality. The viaduct is no where near as busy as summer. We're all cutting back staff hours now. Not sure about other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

is it like that every winter, rabies?

ive a mate here who works in surf coaching and in hospitality (kitchens), and surf coaching stops.. i think last weekend, and the restaurant/bar stops opening in day times and mondays, i think. sucks for me, cos i used to surf there in the mornings, and then get a hot chocolate (or three) afterwards, but when you really really need the hot chocolate (winter), is wehn the bloody place is shut.

yup.
    We're all cutting back.
    I've not filled two staff place from people that left few weeks ago. Another is leaving in two weeks time, she works four days a week. I'll replace her with some one for two days a week

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭iguana2005

The Viaduct always goes quiet around this time...in fact AKL gets pretty quiet during the winter months really. Was in an office on Custom St - which bar you in? Many a year in Foxes with the local yacht crew after a rum race..happy days...
    In the entertainment industry - am kicking my self...was offered a job with local theatre company this time last year and was too homesick(even though it was my 4th year there) and just wanted home...

Its my third winter in the viaduct. Know how it runs. But its crap after such a huge summer.
    At least other places have the ski season to balance out the rest of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭iguana2005

Rabies wrote: »
    Its my third winter in the viaduct. Know how it runs. But its crap after such a huge summer.
    At least other places have the ski season to balance out the rest of the year

Yeah not a big fan of the viaduct being honest..lots of young kids on a saturday night..friday is ok in foxes and or some of the posh bars down the quay..ponsonby is where most people go for drinks really especially the local coolies..

I usually drink in the viaduct and around Forte lane, mainly because I drink cheap.
    Not a huge fan of Ponsoby or Parnell. But at times I do get sick of the viaduct. Same people, same music, same ****.

Advertisement