Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

magnet BB 50meg

Options
  • 29-04-2009 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has magnet 50meg broadband.

I got it installed today and did a speed test:

462950573.png

I'm not sure if the results are good or bad for a 50 meg connection. just wondering what you guys think? I may ask them to try optimize the line. this is with the T.v. turned off(I know that effects speeds).

Also how does this compare to the speeds people get on UPC?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Those speed-tests can become unreliable at higher speeds. Also, UPC don't offer 50M, so no comparison can be made. Generally, people on UPC 20M get close to 20M, though sometimes it can be considerably lower.

To guage your real speed you'll need to download a large file (a 500MB ISO image on heanet.ie maybe) and watch the speed you get after a minute or two.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I'm on the 20M with UPC and result from today in sig.

I would think you should be getting at least 75% - 80%, which would be about 35M - 40M.

Thats a kick-ass upload speed you got there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Well the dublin speed test in done by digiweb and their speed test only appears to go up to 20Mb so maybe try a different location and see what happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Never use speedtest.net though, they are very innacurate - completely overrated. You are better with jor el's suggestion, of actually downloading something instead of using a flash based, inaccurate piece of ϛsugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

462961697.png

tried a london server...

tried slackware iso from heanet average speed is 5mb a sec.

650 meg downloaded in about 4-5 minutes. Should I expect more or does this sound about right?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

hobochris wrote: »
    462961697.png

tried a london server...

650 meg downloaded in about 4-5 minutes. Should I expect more or does this sound about right?

Those speedtests can't keep up with your connection. The heanet download is more reliable. For a 50Mb connection you'd be looking at 5-6MBs download so yeah it's about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Well downloading anything in the evening is always going to be slower than downloading during the morning or very late at night. And I agree with the other posters, those crappy flash sites rarely get it right.

Find a nice iso image at heanet (e.g. http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/official/iso/2009.0/mandriva-linux-free-2009-cd1-i586.iso which weights in at 699MB) and then get a nice freeware download accelerator, I use Orbit Downloader myself, and let her rip.

The handy thing about Orbit is you go to the completed folder, click on the file and in the bottom pane it shows how long it took exactly and tells you the average download speed.

/edit Oh and before I forget, do the test with an ethernet cable connected to your router and not wireless (just in case, my wireless results are normally way lower because of the amount of wireless networks in my area competing with each other)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Just wondering if anyone has magnet 50meg broadband.

I got it installed today and did a speed test:

462950573.png

I'm not sure if the results are good or bad for a 50 meg connection. just wondering what you guys think? I may ask them to try optimize the line. this is with the T.v. turned off(I know that effects speeds).

Also how does this compare to the speeds people get on UPC?

Terrible that, I'd complain

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Terrible that, I'd complain

I'd understand if I was contending with anyone but I was told its 1:1 contention and magnet wired the place during development so there shouldn't be any issue really. I was expecting 75-80% of the speed as mentioned above not little over 40%, In which case i might as well have gone for the 24meg service.

I think there is a guy on here who works for them, I might see if I can get him to have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If that was 5Mbytes a second, then that would be 40Mbps, which is probably what you'd expect.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    If that was 5Mbytes a second, then that would be 40Mbps, which is probably what you'd expect.

I was thinking that, but I'm not sure, hence all the posts querying it In this thread. I'll ask them to optimize it if they can anyway.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

I was thinking that, but I'm not sure, hence all the posts querying it In this thread. I'll ask them to optimize it if they can anyway.

It looks like everything is running fine, if you like i can get someone to give you a call. Send me a PM.

Rorser wrote: »
    It looks like everything is running fine, if you like i can get someone to give you a call. Send me a PM.

Pm sent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd understand if I was contending with anyone but I was told its 1:1 contention and magnet wired the place during development so there shouldn't be any issue really. I was expecting 75-80% of the speed as mentioned above not little over 40%, In which case i might as well have gone for the 24meg service.

I think there is a guy on here who works for them, I might see if I can get him to have a look.

But you are getting 80%+ of the speed you are meant. Those speed tests are shíte when you get to very high speeds. When downloading from heanet you are getting 5MBps. That is roughly 40Mbps. You're speed is more or less fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I've tested the speed tests :) They do max out around 20 to 22Mbps downstream and less upstream.

Advertisement