Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4890 1GB and my Xilence 600W psu

Options
  • 29-04-2009 9:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

I just got my a radeon 4890 1GB in the post yesterday (pixmania E189, thank you TerrorFirmer)

the card is an absolute beast easily giving managing FEAR 2 and Fallout3 on max settings on my 32" 1080p TV. however I installed this card in a 3 year old machine which previously had a passivly cooled nvidia 7600GT

the machine restarts without a bsod or error report in the more graphicly intensive parts of the games. like when the invisible ninjas show up in fear2 or in the case of crysis warhead, about five minutes into the game.

a buddy of mine reckons its down to my 600W Xilence PSU and thinks i should invest in a decent brand.

I was thinking of picking up a corsair 550W for E93 shipped.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/675268/art/corsair/cmpsu-550vxeu-pc-power-un.html

I've been spending a lot of money on electronics lately and i was just wondering if this is absolutly nessissary. could the problem lie somewhere else

thanks in advance.

system info:

core 2 duo e6600 @ stock-2.4ghz
    2gb DDR2 ram on one stick
    Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 mobo
    ATI Radeon 4890 1GB.
    Xilence 600W PSU
    WinXP 32bit SP3 - moving to vista soon.

here's the specs for the actual psu.

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=4748&cat=0&page

ps. I havent done a full reinstall yet so it may be that the old nvidia setup is causing problems, I don't believe this to be the case however as I do not recieve any error reports or BSOD. also it only happens when the card is under load.

Advertisement