Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planet X Model B wheelset

• 29-04-2009 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

has anyone any experience of the planet x model b wheelset they seem to be good value for money,how would they compare to a shimano rs10s.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Don't have them but they got a generally good review here. Search BikeRadar forums for more.

My impression: very good value for money, very light for the money, may be some issues with the cassette eating into the hub body, may be best suited to lighter riders, may be a bit flexy.

RS10s are heavier, may be more reliable. Most Shimano stuff is pretty reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Have them on my PX, no trouble at all, very stiff, little or no flex, and I'm 17 1/2 stone

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CHIPPY1979

I have had noting but problems with these wheels. I have had them less than a year and both wheels have given up on me. Spokes snapped on one wheel and the other had the nipples pull right through the rim. Has anyone else experienced these problems. I am told there is no warranty on wheels, but if this is a common occurence, as I think it is, I believe that I should be compensated.:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I used these wheels for a year or so and found them really good.

Barring one occasion when a spoke (rear wheel) came lose on a ride but I was able to tie it to another spoke with the elastic band from a spare tube and got home no problem. Also replacing the spoke and trueing the wheel was a small, i.e. cheap job in a LBS.

On the plus side they are relatively light at - Front (g)705 & Rear (g)948 (claimed) for the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

For an extra £26 you can get a pair of rs30's and delivery is reasonble.
    I have ordered these, I will let you know how I get on.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270775136470&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:1123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Early this year I noticed that my 3 year old PX B front wheel had developed cracks around the nipple holes, after contacting Planet X I got the wheelset replaced for €92 inc p+p. This gives me a spare rear wheel and a front hub with a set of spokes should any need replacing in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭abc_xyz

Have a model B set on my winter/commuter bike for over a year and never had any issues. They've stood up to Dublin roads without any complaint and I'm happy with them and don't really notice them which says something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Some people are hard on wheels because they are careless, ride into potholes and maybe too heavy for the spoke count. Others are more careful, might be lighter and ride around those same potholes. Both of these riders will give you different reports on the same set of wheels.
    Preventative maintenance on wheels such as regular truing and checking spoke tension can prevent many problems from developing.
    At 78Kg and self assessed careful these wheels have given me no trouble. They are very light for the money and the bearings are some of the smoothest I have used. The aluminum hub body is soft OK but just means you have to tap or lever some of the cogs anti clockwise to remove them.
    If you don't intend racing then better go for the 32 spoke A's or C's at the same price.
    PS: I see they are 40 euro more now than when I bought mine. You might get a better price in December/January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I found them quite harsh riding. A57s were nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

Spoke broke on my model B rear wheel at Ballinrobe this year, and I'm about 70kg so its not down to just weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

CHIPPY1979 wrote: »
    I have had noting but problems with these wheels. I have had them less than a year and both wheels have given up on me. Spokes snapped on one wheel and the other had the nipples pull right through the rim. Has anyone else experienced these problems. I am told there is no warranty on wheels, but if this is a common occurence, as I think it is, I believe that I should be compensated.:confused::confused::confused:

Have you been in contact with them? I got a set of them with my PX in late 2009. February just past one of the nipples pulled through the rim. I emailed PX and after sending pictures they sent out a new set of wheels with no fuss whatsoever. In their email to me they stated the wheels would be replaced as the nipple pulling through the rim was a warranty issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CHIPPY1979

Thanks for that, exactly what has happened, did you contact the lads in Athlone or the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

CHIPPY1979 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, exactly what has happened, did you contact the lads in Athlone or the UK

I bought through the UK website so dealt with them when the issue arose. They were extremely helpful and expedited the whole process.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭full gas

if ya want to buy a problem buy plant x wheels , maybe be ok for triathlon but if your planning to use them for road racing forget it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

full gas wrote: »
    if ya want to buy a problem buy plant x wheels , maybe be ok for triathlon but if your planning to use them for road racing forget it .
    Tell me about it, I won my first Ironman on them but then showed up to an A4 race and they folded right under me. Damned anti-social wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭full gas

so its you and your folding wheels are the cause of all those a4 crashes,

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Rocketpocket

These wheels are of poor quality,I got four months from them.Get a set of aksiums,boomproof.

Advertisement