Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss told lie about me

Options
  • 29-04-2009 10:08pm

OK, so this might be a small issue compared to some, but I'm absolutely raging.

I work as a language teacher in a private school. I like the school and thought everything was going well, I teach there a couple of evenings a week, get on well with the students, enjoy it, etc. Just before the Easter break, I asked my boss (via e-mail, barely ever see her) if I could cancel the first class after the break as I had to go home to Ireland. She said it was no problem at all and to make sure I informed the students and rescheduled the class for another time.
    Obviously I told the students the next time I had them, but as there were only three in the class and eight on my list (four of whom had never turned up to class), I e-mailed her again to a) confirm the students had been told and b) tell her that the school should perhaps phone the other students in case they turned up on the wrong day. She replied saying thank you for confirming and that she'd phone the students. So off I went thinking everything was grand.

Today I turned up at the school and the receptionist started asking me where I was last week, why didn't I let anyone know I wasn't coming and that a student had turned up and was very angry that there was no class. I told her it was all sorted and it had nothing to do with me as I'd done everything I should have done. She said the director (my boss) had said on the phone that she had no record of me taking that day off and that she said I was disrespectful and stupid for not informing the school (!!) The next morning when my boss came in, the receptionist said she'd sent me an e-mail saying this behaviour wasn't acceptable. I didn't receive any e-mail from her, so she obviously made it up. She said this in front of all the staff, so now I look like an irresponsible, incompetent idiot. She blatantly forgot to do her job and decided to blame me, but why on earth would she go as far as to say she'd e-mailed me?!? I'm assuming she went to e-mail me and realised that I had told her and that she f**ked up. The nerve of her!! Every time I walked into the teachers room they were blatantly just talking about me. I mean, FFS, I did NOTHING wrong! Went out of my way to make sure everything was OK.

Should I say anything or let it go? I am absolutely furious that someone could be such a backstabbing b*tch (and I've worked with MANY of them) but I don't want to get fired either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

you could always print out the emails and pin them to the board in the teachers lounge to show you did what you said you did and to show your boss out to be the one that made the mistake. the problem with that is you may make your time there difficult.

or you could simply forward a copy of said emails to the boss and say eh excuse me here's out conversation where i informed you of my absence and of my efforts to reschedule the scheduling with the students and oh look here's your email where you have said you'd call them. basically put her in her place in a polite way but also insuring she does not lose face with the other faculty members.

I'd go with option 2. But i's also keep a copy of those emails, maybe send the thread to an external account for archiving if your schools IT policy allows such, or just print them. Email can be a bit of a flaky system and you'd be amazed how often things get "corrupted" so someone can't find that mail they need to validate or prove their side of the story.

I'm going through a bit of hassle in the office and I've printed out about 500 pages of emails in relation to the individual that's causing the problem just in case anything happened to my email system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Yeah, do you have copies of the e-mails you sent her before your holiday? Give them to her and then tell your colleagues it was her mistake.

I only recently learnt the value of leaving a paper trail. I do most of my work communication by e-mail now, even if the person is sitting next to me.

Advertisement