Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Coz' and 'Teh'

• 29-04-2009 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

The terms ‘coz’ and ‘teh’ are appearing more frequently of late. They have been bothering me for a while, especially ‘teh’.

I have to admit that I have, at times (in speech only), abbreviated the word ‘because’, but I have always envisaged its spelling as seen in the following sentence: ‘I skipped lunch ‘cause I was busy.’

I really find it quite irritating when it gets spelt ‘coz’ instead of ‘because’.

The term ‘teh’ apparently started out as a typing error that caught on and became popular. This really baffles me. Firstly, it is easier to type ‘the’ rather than ‘teh’, and secondly, it is definitely easier to pronounce ‘the’ instead of ‘teh’ in a sentence.

The way I see it is that ‘coz’ is just laziness, and ‘teh’ is sheer lunacy. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

teh is so easy when typing at speed, I only keep it for effect though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

The Raven. wrote: »
    it is easier to type ‘the’ rather than ‘teh’

i dont understand how you can come to that conclusion:confused:

The H is just to the lower right of T and that in theory should be more natural if typing
    correctly. Does anyone type correctly anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Helix wrote: »
    i dont understand how you can come to that conclusion:confused:
    mike65 wrote: »
    The H is just to the lower right of T and that in theory should be more natural if typing
    correctly. Does anyone type correctly anymore?

I type correctly. I find it quicker and more comfortable to go from T (left index finger), to H (right index) and then the left index middle finger is already on E. Typing TE causes a slight stretch between the two left fingers.

It's not a major problem :)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

you still have to make the exact same movements tho

your left index finger hits t, your right index finger hits h and your left middle finger hits e

no matter which order you type them in it takes the exact same amount of effort and time. if, as you say, you can type properly, then it should make zero difference to you and neither one should be harder than the other

i just dont get it

• Advertisement

Helix, it's only a very minute difference, but it's enough for me not to make that particular typing error. It might have something to do with being a piano player. Alternating between the two hands is often quicker and less of a strain. I suppose it's what you get used to doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

As text speak gains momentum,we can expect more of this.

My studies have shown that the older generations are more particular and correct in their use of language and attention to grammar and spelling.

As text speak inbeds itself in the younger generations I can foresee a situation where it will be generally accepted amongst certain circles.

It won't go away you know.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Using two hands, it comes out as "teh", typing "the" only with the left hand, I get "the". Why only the left hand you ask? The right hand is on the mouse aiming (FPS). Thus a habit is formed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭dreamlogic

My first thoughts when I saw the 'teh' being written deliberately was could it have been started by someone who was annoyed(or otherwise influenced) by the MS Word autocorrect? By default the autocorrect will change a typed 'teh' into 'the' because it interprets the former as a typo. I doubt that this is the origin though really. Just an association I made when I saw it, probably because I'm not a fan of the autocorrect thing :)

Yes, I don't like the autocorrect thing either, and I found it such a nuisance when I was writing the post above. However, I decided to leave it on, because I hate the term 'teh' even more. I've just noticed that it didn't change it this time. I must have written the other post in MS Word. Obviously there is no autocorrect on Boards.ie :)!!

• Advertisement

The Raven. wrote: »
    Yes, I don't like the autocorrect thing either...
    You can turn it off in the Options section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

This thread is teh win coz I sez so. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's nothing to get het up about.

pickarooney wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

english is a language

language are there to communicate ideas and thoughts

you understand what ''coz'' means, well just bcoz..
    you also know what someone means when they right or sey ''teh''

dont ya?

english is a language

no sheeeit

dont ya?
    Yup. And this is a Language forum. Did you wander in here by mistake? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

dreamlogic wrote: »
    no sheeeit

Yup. And this is a Language forum. Did you wander in here by mistake? :)

thanks for that - that was so useful :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

english is a language

dont ya?

Professionally, I have to take a strict view of this because I work in translation.

It is not unknown for translation clients to demand a discount or a credit note, if they find some spelling errors in a translation or they're unhappy with the translation's style. For example, in legal translation, for example, leaving out a conjunction can significantly impact the legal interpretation of a case. Similar situation with medical or technical translation/writing.

Boring things like spelling and grammar do matter and careless mistakes cost money.

Granted, forums are more informal, but it only takes a couple of seconds to check spelling. :) It isn't going to kill you! :)

Advertisement