Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverfest - Whats the Story?

Options
  • 29-04-2009 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Is there a BBQ or not?

And

Is there a French Market going ahead?

Anyone know anything about it apart from Fireworks :confused: and Big Screen for the Rugby.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

http://www.festivalslimerick.com/
    That is the website with all the details. It says something about a BBQ but it is not the international bbq competition that was there in previous years. Probably Mayor Gilligan stuffing his face with hotdogs and keeping them all to himself. He will probably then spray himself with ketchup and mustard and try to eat himself. So it goes.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

thats one of the worst websites i've ever seen...

+1
    Its pretty lame alright. Looks about ten years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

That is embarrasing. There is a real oppurtuinity to make this into a renowned nationwide festival (ala Cork Jazz or Kinsale 7's) where people automatically associate Limerick with the May Bank Holiday weekend. The promotion efforts have been a joke and that website sums it all up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Well the good thing is the continental market is back which is all I am happy about .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

you can't polish a turd unfortunately...

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

seachto7 wrote: »
    you can't polish a turd unfortunately...

You can actually, seen it on mythbusters:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

More information here:

http://www.limerickcoordination.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    You can actually, seen it on mythbusters:D

Its true....:D

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/strategies/how-to-polish-a-turd/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Went down to the continental market today, in fairness it wasn't up to much. The only variations were french or spanish food. The french cheese stalls were a welcome addition, to their credit. Overall though it was pretty disappointing.
    Agreed on that website, embarrassing stuff. As someone else pointed out the May bank holiday weekend is an ideal opportunity for Limerick to establish a festival. The only other thing on is the rally of the lakes in Killarney and that doesn't have a wide appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Aidric wrote: »
    Went down to the continental market today, in fairness it wasn't up to much. The only variations were french or spanish food. The french cheese stalls were a welcome addition, to their credit. Overall though it was pretty disappointing.
    Agreed on that website, embarrassing stuff. As someone else pointed out the May bank holiday weekend is an ideal opportunity for Limerick to establish a festival. The only other thing on is the rally of the lakes in Killarney and that doesn't have a wide appeal.
    I think the rally of the lakes is a lot more popular than the riverfest (well at least for my age group 19-20). I've heard a lot of people going on about this rally of the lakes and very few going on about riverfest. If only all us UL students weren't about to start exams...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I've always wanted to do a bungee jump.
    Last year there looked to be a bungee jump set up
    for people to try out but I waited ages around the area
    with the crane and nothing at all happened,

Anyone know this year is there a bungee jump being set up?
    and what a typical cost would be to jump off a small crane and barely miss the depts of the dodgy shannon river?

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Banrion

Myself and himself went down to the Riverfest. I saw big screen out near potato market and there were people in white jumpsuits dancing around near Moll Darby's....they might have been showing martial arts moves, Im not sure...I was very disinterested.
    Continental market was bland and too squished, down near Charlottes Quay. We tried to take the buggy down there but had to give up and I had to have a mcfluffy in McDonalds.
    All in all, the whole thing was just a bit boring.

Bahttp://www.ballyhouracountry.com/bhsection-2rrn.asp?rrn=969&bhl3=Walking%20Festival&bhl2=Walking&bhl1=Tourism&sloc=

Ballyhoura walking festival way better than that old frolics down in charlottes quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Just back from the fireworks they were good great use me flames and cool ones on the river itself highlight of the weekend after the double cream bacon spuds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Have to say it was not as good as last year but still there was a fair bit to see. The fireworks were very good and could be seen from all around the city. I have some photo's up on my Riverfest page.
    I agree about the bad access at the market saw several people tring to struggle up the street they had cables running accross the ground for power and they were causing problems for the buggies.
    Got some nice photos (and food!) over the weekend though so I'm happy.

Limerick Riverfest 2009 Photos

sIMGP7310.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Went in today (Monday) to see what was happening.
    The place was like a ghost town :eek:

All there was, was a half empty french market with lots
    of the stalls gone and I could hear a french band play from what was once called Doc's night club.

Other than that I could not see anything at all river vest.

Last year or maybe it was the year before there was lots
    more stuff on, and there was a lot going on more towards
    poormans kilkee direction/bedford/henery street areas.

Was there bungee jumps this year? its something I wanted to do for ages, and did not see it or hear of it
    this year ?

~B

Advertisement