Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job hunting

Options
  • 29-04-2009 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've looking for a Graphic Design job for a couple of months now. No luck so far. Is anyone in the same boat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Lots - post up your portfolio for a crit. There's jobs out there, but lots of competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

Farm out your CV to as many companies as you can. I went for about 2 years ago and I got a call the other day asking me to go for an interview. Where I'm gainfully employed now I still went to the interview. It went well and I'm considering it.

But I think that if you get post your CV out to as many companies as possible, post it up on monster and irishjobs etc. and go for it.

You won't get a job if companies don't have your cv.

The first job I ever had as a designer came out of me leaving college and had no work. So I sent a bunch of hand written envelopes with my cv inside and a cover letter to as many companies as I could find in the yellow pages.

I have to say it worked because I got many responses.

Go out there and make it happen, nobody will make it happen for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

for one graphic design job in London area, I've seen 340 candidates competing for one place.

I hate to be critical, but it would be very difficult to use your portfolio to differentiate yourself. It never worked for me, no matter how hard I tried. What I managed to find out is, that some people got design jobs not only by portfolio, but they also did other kinds of work outside design, and they managed to use design skills to make an improvement of some sort.

Advertisement