Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R584 or R585 (Cork->Bantry)

Options
  • 29-04-2009 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I'll be travelling from Cork City to Bantry at the weekend, and I want to go the most direct route (rather than around the coast). So, I was wondering, which is the better road (or the less worse one) - the R584 (Macroom->Bantry) or the R585 (Farnanes/Crookstown->Bantry) or is there another, better alternative?

Thanks for any info.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I don't know the route numbers but go through Crookstown rather than Macroom.

You could also go Innishannon - Bandon -Enniskeane - Ballineen - Dunmanway- Drimoleague - Bantry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Jimbo wrote: »
    I don't know the route numbers but go through Crookstown rather than Macroom.

You could also go Innishannon - Bandon -Enniskeane - Ballineen - Dunmanway- Drimoleague - Bantry

This is the most direct and fastest route, when I had to get to Whiddy Island with a delivery for the terminal this was the fastest way there.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

This is the most direct and fastest route, when I had to get to Whiddy Island with a delivery for the terminal this was the fastest way there.

MC

I find Crookstown route faster because you bypass all of the towns, but it's a backroad so it's easy to take a wrong turn if you don't know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Well I was driving a van loaded with industrial liquids so turns were not my friend but I could make Bantry in an hour or so on this route, using the moto this would have been about 40 mins but then that's just bragging :D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

This is how I do Cork-Bantry. The google driving time is off though - it takes about that long from Ladysbridge; I would have thought closer to an hour from the city would be about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭serfboard

Thanks everybody. I went via Bandon and Dunmanway before. However, I missed the turn at Bandon and had to double back, so I was wondering if the road by Bealnblath->Shanlara->Kealkill might be better.

Based on what people are saying here, it seems that Bandon->Dunmanway gets the vote, and particularly from MunsterCycling who was doing deliveries. Them boys usually know the quickest way to anywhere!

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ProjectC

ya id recommend that route aswell....do alot of driving aronud west cork and that is by FAR the best way..beter road too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

How could you miss the turn off by Bandon, its either left for Clon, right for Dunmanway at the t junction at bridge unless you took the bypass?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I use lilmissDahamstas route, it is the best way if you want to avoid any traffic IMO.
    The Enniskeane-Ballineen-Bandon route can get congested at times especially around Bandon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

crookstown - copeen-keakill -bantry 45 miles from bishopstown roundabout
    watch for the right turn just after dailys of glown (closed down pub).I live in bantry and this is the way we go to cork all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭serfboard

Thanks to everybody who took the time to reply. I took the Dunmanway route as suggested by most people and from the Kinsale road roundabout to Bantry took me an hour.

Mind you, it was very early on Sunday morning ;)
    TheDriver wrote: »
    How could you miss the turn off by Bandon, its either left for Clon, right for Dunmanway at the t junction at bridge unless you took the bypass?

You're right - and it was only when I did the journey again that I realised this. It was actually in Dunmanway that I missed the turn. At that stage it was nearly 12 midnight, it was dark (duh), I had driven from Dublin after my week's work and I was tired.

Thankfully all went well this time and I'm grateful to Cork boardser's for your advice. Your county was looking particularly well this weekend :cool:

Advertisement