Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constent ear infections

Options
  • 29-04-2009 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

Our baby girl is 19 months and she has had 7 ear infections within the last year and a half. She is due to have tubes inserted to help next week. Has anyone had this done on their child? Was it a success. Does it take long to recouperate. I have taken the day off work The poor thing doesnt sleep when this little bugger gets here. We are also due to travel home to ireland on holidays a week after the procedure. Will that be a problem? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

galwaydude wrote: »
    Our baby girl is 19 months and she has had 7 ear infections within the last year and a half. She is due to have tubes inserted to help next week. Has anyone had this done on their child? Was it a success. Does it take long to recouperate. I have taken the day off work The poor thing doesnt sleep when this little bugger gets here. We are also due to travel home to ireland on holidays a week after the procedure. Will that be a problem? Thanks.

For what its worth I had grommets put in as a kid and was not in any sort of pain after or anything. I was up and running around the ward after about two hours happy as Larry and went home that day. I do remember that I had to wear ear plugs while washing my hair or in the pool until they were taken out about a year later. It was most definitely a success, before the op I was half deaf with the amount of wax that had built up and was getting loads of ear infections. I'm not sure about plane travel, if I were you I'd check with the doctor to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dragon_lordMTB

They work really well. Our daughter had the same issue and had grommets fitted twice once when she was 2 and then when she was 3 but they really reduced the frequency of ear infections. She was fine a couple of hours after the operation and was laughing and giggling as they do.

I'm not sure about the flying but I would have thought she would be fine to travel after a week. Just make sure she has something to suck or chew when taking off and landing.

Hope all goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭kdak

just a quick point that people sometimes dont know- if the child is living in the house of a smoker then that may be the cause of the infections. may not be relevant in your case but just in case it is.
    http://smoking.ygoy.com/smoking-and-ear-infection-in-children/

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jkrowling

Hi, my 15 month old daughter has also been suffering from ear infections, roughly 1 every 3 months since birth. We have been concerned about her hearing and speach development for some time now - was picking up new words up till about 10 mths and has since stopped. Her vocabulary consists on mama, dada and baba and when she wants you to get her something or wants to show you something, she takes you by the hand and brings you to whatever it is and points at it.

After meeting with a doctor today, she's been referred to see Sister Lydia in Cabra for further tests to determine whats wrong. Just wondering if your daughter had similar symptons or advise from anyone about this?

I can't stop worrying now that something maybe wrong and why we never did anything about it sooner. I might add here that my daughter was never once called by the community welfare nurse for the standard check ups all babies get. I knew this wasn't right and when she was 7 months I brought her to the clinic myself to get checked out and was advised that they now had her on file and she would be automatically called back when the next check was due. Again, she was never called back and I had to once more bring her myself. I cant stop wondering that if she had been getting these check ups like she was supposed to that the problem would have been detected sooner.

Very worried Mum

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dragon_lordMTB

Hi there,

We had our daughter assessed by Sister Lydia and found that she was not as responsive in one ear as the other. After the grommets, the change was remarkable and she has not stopped talking since.

I know you are worried but the tests are not at all stressful and Sister Lydia is lovely.

Let us know how you get on and fell free to pm me if you wish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

My son had grommets inserted twice aged 3 and four due to reduced hearing. Since second insertion he has been fine and no problems. Make sure you ask your Dr about flying. Their views can vary

Advertisement