Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OMAC

• 29-04-2009 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

I'll be finishing up the Leaving Cert this coming June, and the likelihood of getting a part-time job for the summer will be slim. So I'm looking to put some time into volunteering with something, and the Order of Malta Ambulance Corps seem to really interest me.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice. I've tried contacting their head office to no avail, and I can't seem to find any contact details about my local units. I'm central to Baldoyle, Swords & Raheny units.

I'd also like some info about what's involved etc, is there any cost involved or is training and like provided?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 hotchick77

hi i am a member of omac and its great fun, you will love it. there is a unit in baldoyle as far as i no, have you tried there website its www.orderofmalta.ie if you email dublin@orderofmalta.ie they should be able to give you all the advice and help you need. there is no cost involved and all training is provided free of charge by the unit you join. its a fantastic organisation and you should definetly join

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Thanks, I had sent an email off to that address - hopefully I'll get a response.

I eventually found Unit details on that website - they need to improve on their site navigation a tad!

it is being re-designed at the moment thats the problem with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Hi , there's a really strong and busy Division of St.John Ambulance in Raheny.

PM me for contact details if you want.

st johns suck they dont even do duty anymore, stick with OMAC kid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Let's not start throwing stones at each other people. SJA and OMAC are both active in the Raheny area and do very similar work, as do the Red Cross. All are worth checking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

hotchick77 wrote: »

letting the side down there a bit aren't ya.........me being a member myself in limerick for the last 10 years....

SJA ,RC and OMAC all do similiar enough work. joining and training is free. cost you nothing to find out:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Just wondering any of the omac guys on the current emt bridging courses? If so how intense ye finding the course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

hotchick77 wrote: »

I'd suggest you get your facts right before you make comments like this.

1. Who are st johns? The name of this organisation is St.John Ambulance Brigade of Ireland.

2. The organisation (much the same as Order of Malta Ireland) is run off their feet at a wide and various range of events throughout the year. For example, this weekend alone, Irish Blind & Visually Impaired Sports, FAI Soccer Blitz, Leinster Rugby were all covered by SJABI in Dublin. Not to mention SJA in Cork & Limerick. That's just the duties that I am aware of.

Less of the them vs us hotchick, we all do the same job whether we get paid or not and which uniform we wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

The Swords unit is deadly buzz :D

OMAC is a great organisation to join.

Thanks everyone.

I've heard great things about all the voluntary ambulance services - for me it's just a case of finding one local. I've been given plenty of information regarding the OMAC both on the boards and off boards - some people really go above and beyond ;)

Once I complete the Leaving Cert I'll be looking to join a unit, attending a few meetings as a spectator at first of course.

What do you guys do regarding vehicle maintenance? Do members look after the vehicles or are the sent to garages? Just asking as I've loads of experience with commercial vehicles (esp. the earlier Ford Transit) - inherited from years of working in the family garage, and I'd be willing to help out with that aspect of operations.

macroman wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.

I've heard great things about all the voluntary ambulance services - for me it's just a case of finding one local. I've been given plenty of information regarding the OMAC both on the boards and off boards - some people really go above and beyond ;)

Once I complete the Leaving Cert I'll be looking to join a unit, attending a few meetings as a spectator at first of course.

What do you guys do regarding vehicle maintenance? Do members look after the vehicles or are the sent to garages? Just asking as I've loads of experience with commercial vehicles (esp. the earlier Ford Transit) - inherited from years of working in the family garage, and I'd be willing to help out with that aspect of operations.

It's run on a unit by unit basis but usually we get them serviced by a garage or dealer. Things like that have to be kept official as safety and roadworthiness of the vehicles is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Elessar wrote: »
    The Swords unit is deadly buzz :D

OMAC is a great organisation to join.
    Be nothing with out me tho :p
    macroman wrote: »

Youll be an assett to any unit ;) since as the majority use the tranny (just varying body works and states of repair :P)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Elessar wrote: »
    It's run on a unit by unit basis but usually we get them serviced by a garage or dealer. Things like that have to be kept official as safety and roadworthiness of the vehicles is important.

And all Ambulances have to go for a DOE (Commerical Equivalent of the NCT)

Con-grats to all the new EMT

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lyingeyes

*SNIP* You need to talk to you're Officer in Charge about this Issue and not on Boards.ie.

B-man.

You need to talk to your officer in charge about the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lyingeyes

Just to clarify, my earlier post about a problem i had with another member of the order of malta was not a reflection on the order itself, more a personality clash between one person and another. I am not a member of the limerick unit and my comments were not in any way connected to the limerick unit. The order of malta is a brilliant organisation, that is both fun and rewarding and i have nothing but praise for the order and its members. I was just venting my frustration and asking for advise, i realise now that any problems i encounter within the organisation should also stay within the order. Happy duties everyone,;)

Been making headway on joining my local unit after some of the lads attended a car crash I was injured in over in Waterford last month. Bought my own Ambulance to bring to the party :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Does anyone know about the training/operational times of any of the ambulance corps?
    I work evenings, free all day but seeing as the rest of the world has a different schedule to me I fear I may be out of luck.

dory wrote: »
    Does anyone know about the training/operational times of any of the ambulance corps?
    I work evenings, free all day but seeing as the rest of the world has a different schedule to me I fear I may be out of luck.

Training is usually one evening a week. Duty vary, anything can come in, but it usually events on the weekends or evenings mid week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭LC_ugh

For anyone wondering which to join... i recommend OMAC!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

LC_ugh wrote: »
    For anyone wondering which to join... i recommend OMAC!!!
    Would you like to expand on that. why do you recommend it?

(for future reference if you are posting on the same topic in quite similar threads it would be more appropriate not to resurrect two different threads at the same time, just pick one thread, thanks)

Still haven't gotten round to joining yet (work getting in the way), however I've a spare evening so I might drop up to the Baldoyle unit this evening.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Good stuff, I hope it goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Marshall987

Hi

Im joining the omac in the midwest so far so good how ye all finding it.

Question regarding the garda vetting form the only time i have ever been in anysort of trouble with the gardai was caught driving whilst using a mobile phone once, got a fine and two penalty points i think.

Do i put this down on the garda vetting form.Or leave it blank as i dont thinks its a conviction as i never had to go to court just pay the fine.

Cheers lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Hi

Im joining the omac in the midwest so far so good how ye all finding it.

Question regarding the garda vetting form the only time i have ever been in anysort of trouble with the gardai was caught driving whilst using a mobile phone once, got a fine and two penalty points i think.

Do i put this down on the garda vetting form.Or leave it blank as i dont thinks its a conviction as i never had to go to court just pay the fine.

Cheers lads.

No you don't have to put down an FCPN. Since you paid the fine you opted for not going to court where you would have gotten a conviction.

Just be aware if OMAC asks do you have points you are obliged to tell them if you are going to be driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Marshall987

No you don't have to put down an FCPN. Since you paid the fine you opted for not going to court where you would have gotten a conviction.

Just be aware if OMAC asks do you have points you are obliged to tell them if you are going to be driving.

ok ill leave it blank so thanks alot.Yes,I plan on telling the unit leader about the points anyway just in case it comes back.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I joined OMAC after finishing my leaving cert last summer and I'm so glad I did!

Less than a year in the unit now and I'm currently doing the EFR course. Ive been on loads of duties so far and seen lots of different stuff. Helped out with community duties aswell, which is brilliant fun!

Im quite a shy person I think, but I was welcomed straight away into OMAC and really felt part of the group really soon!

With regard to the posts above about issues between people. I can see how certain politics/people issues can come into play. But its just like any job/organisation, if you stay clear of it and be neutral all is good!

I hope you get on just as well as I do!:D

Advertisement