Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Starter DSLR

• 29-04-2009 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi guys, complete novice here but I'm looking to start a bit of photography and was looking to get a good quality decently priced DSLR camera. If anyone could point me in the right direction in what I should be looking at it would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to spend around €300 - €400 :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Hi guys, complete novice here but I'm looking to start a bit of photography and was looking to get a good quality decently priced DSLR camera. If anyone could point me in the right direction in what I should be looking at it would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to spend around €300 - €400 :D

Nikon D40 with kit lens - perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

colblimp wrote: »
    Nikon D40 with kit lens - perfect!

Reviews state that the kit lens with the D40 is better than the Canon Digital Rebel equivalent. The recent improvement, where IS was added to the Canon kit lens has probably made the two cameras more equal.

This review might help:

http://www.dpnotes.com/canon-eos-400d-digital-rebel-xti-vs-nikon-d40x/

It's worth thinking about the fact that your initial choice will direct which brand you will use for years to come, as adding lenses and flash, etc.,... will build up your system.

Also, there has been discussion about Sony here recently:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055525386

It offers an anti-shake mechanism in the camera body which the two other brands do not.
    You will have to buy expensive lenses with IS or VR in time if you need that feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

There's also the Olympus e-420 and e-520, probably the sharpest kit lenses available and one of those 2 cameras has IS in body too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭superfootyfan

Thanks for all your help so far guys I've been doing a bit of research myself and found a few cameras that I like the look of could you please give me your opinions on them and where online would have the best price ! As far as the makes of camera I think I've narrowed it down to nikon or sony :D

SONY Alpha DSLR-A200 + 18-70 mm Lens €320
    SONY Alpha DSLR-A350K + DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 Lens €460
    NIKON D60 + AF-S DX VR NIKKOR 18-55 mm Lens €450
    Nikon D40 with AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II €300

Also I could do with a bit of help distinguishing between all the types of lenses

Advertisement