Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shes pregnant, tips??

Options
  • 29-04-2009 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Ok so it happened, accident/surprise
    We are both young, early twenties. going for scan evrything is set up but i was wondering does anyone have any good tips on books to help us, vitamins she should take etc? Were not at stage to talk about these things with either parents as they are still in the silent mode. Any help would be greatly appriciated,
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 oneway

I got given a whole library the first time around, but the only thing I enjoyed was the Channel 4 series "Baby its you". That was back in the VHS days, but I'm sure the Channel 4 web shop has it on DVD or BluRay now.

Best advice - only listen to 10% of advice on pregnancies and beleive only 10% of that.

Congratulations BTY :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Folic acid until twelve weeks and maybe Iron after but ask doc before you take it.
    Avoid raw meat, pate, unpasturiesed cheese, alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, shellfish.
    Do exercise but don't go mad. Stop when your body tells you.
    Get plenty of rest.
    Enjoy it. (sure there is loads more but can't think of it right now...pregnancy brain!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fatherhood-Truth-Marcus-Berkmann/dp/0091900638

This book is very informative and hilarious to boot - I got it in easons and can't recommend it enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Congrats:)

The Bloke's Guide To Pregnancy and The Rough Guide to Pregnancy and Birth are both good with out being freakey!

She needs to take folic acid too.

Have you booked the hospital?If not decide if you are going public or private and book accodingly.
    Depending where you live there might be some good midwive led units too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Folic Acid immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Hey Dusty, congrats :) I'm in a similar enough position, 25 and total surprise pregnancy. Knew absolutely nothing about babies or pregnancy before 5 months ago! I bought the rough guides to pregnancy book and really enjoy it. You'll find everything you need online anyway. She should start taking folic acid. If you've any questions feel free to pm me, have been through the first few months of it now so know what you're going through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Hey Dusty, congrats :) I'm in a similar enough position, 25 and total surprise pregnancy. Knew absolutely nothing about babies or pregnancy before 5 months ago! I bought the rough guides to pregnancy book and really enjoy it. You'll find everything you need online anyway. She should start taking folic acid. If you've any questions feel free to pm me, have been through the first few months of it now so know what you're going through.

Same as above, except I'm 21 and I've given birth!!! I took Pregnacare when I was pregnant, it disagrees with some people though. If you have any questions just ask, we're all here to help!

Oh, and congratulations!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭xxfelix

Hey Congrats....

Check out Babycentre.co.uk it gives u a detailed picture of baby at all the stages of pregnancy and of what the mum should be feeling etc.

I though it was great first time around cause in fairness young or not we dont have a clue!!

Congrats again and goodluck:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Thanks for all the help guys. I havnt been online to reply. Iv got the folic acid and that blokes guide to pregnancy. The doctor put our name down for scan so were just waiting on the hospital now. He believes shes 10 to 12 weeks, from feeling where the baby is, but cant be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

oneway wrote: »

Best advice - only listen to 10% of advice on pregnancies and beleive only 10% of that.

You really cant get better advice than that lol

We had out child just over 2 years ago and I can tell you that everyhthing we were told by other people, most of it just didnt relate to our child.

It is our first child and has been the best experience of our lives, there are ups and downs but you learn quickly how to cope. Even tho it can be exhausting sometimes, its all worth it.... So just make the most of it, they grow up very fast!

Congradulations.

• Advertisement
Advertisement