Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pundits - what's the point in them?

• 29-04-2009 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

"If he'd just hit it with a bit more power, it would've gone in."

"He should have chipped that instead of going for power".

"I think the referee got that one wrong".

Hmm... I didn't know that. The other day, I heard Johnny Giles saying - an this is paraphrasing - that if you defend well & score more goals than the other team, that's how you win games.

What is the point in pundits? I still listen to them though - I must enjoy being wound up.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Whats the point in anything really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Pundits are like football for dummies.

They say the most obvious things that even I, a person with no real interest in the game can see for myself

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

this thread could go on for years thanks mainly to rte!

its just unreal the things they actually say and to night after the arsenal match trying to show replays i mean like wtf it looks like nobody in the studio has a fcuking clue whats going on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Teutorix wrote: »
    Pundits are like football for dummies.

They say the most obvious things that even I, a person with no real interest in the game can see for myself

Yet so many footballers cant manage to do the simple and obvious things properly..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

pundits are there for nothing more than entertainment in my opinion, and most of them fall horribly short. ive never understood why people take what they say so seriously, to the extent of getting angry about them. if you need someone to tell you about a match that youve just watched, then youre following the wrong game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Ahh with the rte boys its all just a bit of good ole Irish craic really, lets not take anything to serious approach!:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Hate commentators more, give me the option to match the match with just the fans and i'd choose that every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Dunphy tonight .. "Ronaldo just couldn't be arsed doing anything". Never a truer word spoken!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Well, I suppose its better to listen to them at half time than watch ads for 15 minutes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The RTE pundits are comedy gold

Trolls to a tee

they wouldn't last ten minutes here, but they're bloody genius.

Look at a post-CL Liverpool or United thread outrage for the evidence.

<3 Dunphy

Best troll ever

He's my hero

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Des wrote: »

Trolls to a tee

<3 Dunphy

Best troll ever

He's my hero
    There's an idea.. bring them into a thread here for the next CL match :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

RTE pundits are great for entertainment, especially when you can come on boards after the match and see how much they've wound people up.

BBC I find a bit dull, & smug. It's pretty much always stating the obvious stuff, no debate.

Sky - Hands up now, who doesn't like looking at Jamie Redknapp in those tight trousers?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

On their basis of stats don't prove anything, Bill... then tonight when stating Utd had got over their slump and then statistics about recent victories comes up "well there you go then". Indeed comedy gold. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

What's the point of this forum then? Sure every thread ends up as either Liverpool vs Man Utd or LOI fans vs EPL fans.

Extreme generalisation ftw :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

MotD 2 used to have really good actual analysis. they would pick up on things you miss and give you a better understanding of the game and whats going on.
    now its just a home for retired english footballers who still crave the spotlight despite their obvious lack of depth/intelligence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Good thread.

hard to justity those 3 lads salaries when the beautiful Seoige sisters are getting the chop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Trolls to a tee

<3 Dunphy

Best troll ever

He's my hero
    The funny to is I'm certain Dunphy reads the forums because some of the stuff he comes out with I've only ever seen on foot.ie. He definitely read the forums before his rant against Venables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I think Giles has it about right. He treats punditry as the farce that it is.

With a few exceptions, e.g. penalty calls, there's actually not much of any intelligence to be said about a football match that isn't obvious or that hasn't been included in the commentary. So he doesn't say much.

I love it when he tells Bill something completely ordinary in that flat tone of his, with a completely straight face, and Bill nods gravely as if he's being told the mysteries of the universe. Ditto when he's on Newstalk and they hang on every word. 'When you've got the ball, you try to attack. When you've not got it, you try to get it back."

He, Dunphy etc are fillers, but Giles has the wit to acknowledge that. Dunphy, on the other hand, clearly believes his own publicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote: »
    The funny to is I'm certain Dunphy reads the forums because some of the stuff he comes out with I've only ever seen on foot.ie. He definitely read the forums before his rant against Venables.
    I don't know why people are so surprised that people from the media read forums. It's a fantastic resource to do research so why wouldn't they use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Johnny Giles last night

"Manchester United werent as [*pause*...........] good as they were in the first half"

Punits - some are good. I happen to like Souness and Gullit, others such as Whelan and Redknapp even the scales with theirs stupid and obvious remarks at times. Hoddle is not bad either.

My Top 5 would be:
    1) Gullit
    2) Souness
    3) Hoddle
    4) Dunphy
    5) Irwin

My Worst 5 would be:
    1) Whelan / Houghton (both fantastic footballers, strange eh!)
    2) Kerr
    3) Stevens
    4) Wilkins
    5) Redknapp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

<3 Dunphy

Best troll ever

He's my hero

Could you imagine a pundit on BBC saying Ronaldo - he's not bothering his arse?

:D

Trilla wrote: »
    2) Kerr

Kerr knows more about the game than everyone else you listed has forgotten.

Sure, his voice and accent are a bit hard to listen to, but he knows his ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Trolls to a tee

<3 Dunphy

Best troll ever

He's my hero

Agree 100%, the boys arguing like old men in a pub is the best reason to watch RTE's coverage

Plus their hatred of Liverpool is entertaining even as a Liverpool fan, you can see it pain them when they ahve no choice but to praise Liverpool or Benetiz although most of the time they manage to avoid that by rubbishing the opposition

I love when Bill say's the craziest things, like:

''So let me put this to you, John, (Bill smirks as he's about to ask his question) what would a duck do in that situation?''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Two main points:

Entertaining as fúck.

Dunphy is one of the most entertaining figures in the public eye. Ever. He's a comedic genius, and he knows it. He can wind up a whole nation. That's a talent.

The other reason is that they most often know a lot more than we do about the game. Problem is, most of them are, well, footballers. As such, they're predominantly about as eloquent as a dead badger. A guy like Eamon Dunphy is clearly quite intelligent, but good footballer's don't have to be intelligent (or stupid.)

As such, when Johnny Giles says conceding less goals and scoring more than the oppostion is how to win, he sounds like a bit of a tool, whereas with more eloquence he'd be making a much better point.

In fairness to Giles, who knows absolutely f all about football outside of England, he's a great one for bursting bubbles of complexity. It takes a lot of knowledge to be that simple sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

hard to justity those 3 lads salaries when the beautiful Seoige sisters are getting the chop.

they're dull.

those 3 are not.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The whole Richard Keys/Andy Gray double act on super sunday supplement or whatever it is called after the proper coverage really annoys me. Richard Keys saying really stupid things about something really simple, pretending not to know what is happening just so Andy Gray can save the day be educating the apparantly clueless Keys.

I hate them so much, and before anyone asks, I don't watch that anymore. That is the reason I stopped watching it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I love soccer saterday. It's just fantastic TV. I'd love if they did all the games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Trolls to a tee

<3 Dunphy

Best troll ever

He's my hero

Sure Des you're well in with the RTE crowd now - surely you could get him on as a guest poster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Random wrote: »
    There's an idea.. bring them into a thread here for the next CL match :)

Best of luck getting Dunphy's access request past me...;)
    eirebhoy wrote: »

I can say without a shadow of a doubt his "research" included a read of wikipedia, because he quoted a good chunk of it word for word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

They simply exist so we can see our own views broadcasted on TV via them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Any chance of a "fanzone" type panel next time on RTE, just 3 ordinary Irish fellas giving their views on the game? Uncensored of course ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Agree 100%, the boys arguing like old men in a pub is the best reason to watch RTE's coverage

Plus their hatred of Liverpool is entertaining even as a Liverpool fan, you can see it pain them when they ahve no choice but to praise Liverpool or Benetiz although most of the time they manage to avoid that by rubbishing the opposition
    :o
    funny thing about this whole RTE lads hate Liverpool thing which i only seem to see/hear on here

RTE football department has always (esp pre sky sports) been known as the Liverpool supporters club

Half the panel are ex liverpool players who are always saying
    "we, i mean liverpool need...",

They dont hate liverpool, they just have VERY high expectations (i avoided saying great expectations;)) of that club and therfore that team

nothing wrong with that, is there?:confused:
    In fairness to Giles, who knows absolutely f all about football outside of England, he's a great one for bursting bubbles of complexity. It takes a lot of knowledge to be that simple sometimes.
    +1

He has been miles ahead of most of the competion for years (possible exception of Kerr), i think he is just getting bored, only so much you can say about football really!

As a guy who has worked in pubs i love Giles, thanks to him you could spot the spouters a mile off and I used to go off on rants about reverse balls, off the shoulder, high lines etc, they would nod and go "aah ya, exactly":D

The ones who took what Giles said and made something of it became the lads you could talk too watching the football when the pub was quiet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Perrin

I love when Bill say's the craziest things, like:

''So let me put this to you, John, (Bill smirks as he's about to ask his question) what would a duck do in that situation?''

Ya I love some of Bill's lines
    "If I could turn to you Eamon and ask you John what do you think..........."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Theres a clear presence of 'we know more than the tv pundits' in this thread.

Its ok being an armchair pundit and seeing what goes on and having your own views but when we get to a stage of dismissing people who have spent most of their lives playing and analysing the game its becoming just a little too self appreciative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

eagle eye wrote: »
    Theres a clear presence of 'we know more than the tv pundits' in this thread.

Its ok being an armchair pundit and seeing what goes on and having your own views but when we get to a stage of dismissing people who have spent most of their lives playing and analysing the game its becoming just a little too self appreciative.

And shows a glaring lack of knowledge in some cases:eek:;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Bill says the most outrageous thing just to get debate going

example "So, according to you Eamon, Cristiano Ronaldo is the worst player Man U have ever had?" *with a little smirk to the camera as he says it*.

Cue facepalm by the panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the point of a Pundit is to have classic moments like this

stovelid wrote: »
    Could you imagine a pundit on BBC saying Ronaldo - he's not bothering his arse?

:D

lol.

I only watch the pundits on RTE tbh (Souness, Giles + Dunphy only!).

I cant stand Sky's or Setanta's pundits and always mute the tv when they are on. Dolan,Rednapp and hairy hands Keys drive me bonkers.

I do love Stelling and co on SSN though, great Saturday afternoon viewing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭JoeA3

5starpool wrote: »
    The whole Richard Keys/Andy Gray double act on super sunday supplement or whatever it is called after the proper coverage really annoys me. Richard Keys saying really stupid things about something really simple, pretending not to know what is happening just so Andy Gray can save the day be educating the apparantly clueless Keys.

I hate them so much, and before anyone asks, I don't watch that anymore. That is the reason I stopped watching it though.

You forgot the Andy Gray stare... anytime he says something "profound", he gives a good stare deep down the camera lens...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

rarnes1 wrote: »
    lol.

I cant stand Sky's or Setanta's pundits and always mute the tv when they are on. Dolan,Rednapp and hairy hands Keys drive me bonkers.

I'll be watching out for those the next time. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

rarnes1 wrote: »
    lol.

Have to say found rte build up to the Arsenal/Man Utd match the other night terrible, it was like watching mutv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Kelly Daglish is my favourite pundit of all time - not only is she a babe, but you could go for ages with her.. all you gotta do is think of her dad. :D

0930001232_42.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Kelly Daglish is my favourite pundit of all time - not only is she a babe,
    0930001232_42.jpg

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

OPENROAD wrote: »
    +1

Maybe the argument for replacing the RTE relics of Giles & Dunphy with the Seoige sisters isn't just in my head?! :D

There are better presenters on SSN than Kelly Dalglish.

Millie Clode for one.

Best of luck getting Dunphy's access request past me...;)

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

:eek:

You're not a big enough troll to pull that off Des.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

You're not a big enough troll to pull that off Des.

Oh let's let him try anyway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement