Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your favorite toys

Options
  • 30-04-2009 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

ok lads if you have to pick one item in your workshop to keep and lose the rest what would it be? i have to say id have to go with the spindle moulder its capable of anything!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Just one? Very, very difficult, but one of my favourite hand tools is the small apron block plane from Veritas- compact, fits nicely in the hand and useful for bench and site work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

not a woodcraft tool but my favorite tool is my electric concrete mixer: It is 29 years old this week, replaced the petrol engine when it burned out with elec. I take good care of it and when ever I need a small mix: voila:D

Carlow52 wrote: »
    not a woodcraft tool but my favorite tool is my electric concrete mixer: It is 29 years old this week, replaced the petrol engine when it burned out with elec.

Happy birthday concrete mixer! That's great service from a machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Given that most of my work is of the shed making kind the number one tool has to be a chop saw. Currently I'm seeing how much abuse a 30euro B&Q saw will take before I burn it out - so far its doing very well - but I still cut accurate mitres with a hand saw ;)

But even with standard dimension timber I can't get away with out a hand saw or jigsaw for some of the work. No electric screwdriver or air nailer means no shed.

But I could do the whole job with just a hand saw, electric screw driver and a tape measure - indeed have done but it takes a lot longer.

Favorite toy is an angle grinder, great for grinding and carving. Why pay 5 euro for a shed door handle when you can carve/sand one out of a bit of scrap timber for nothing :)?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

My Basato3 bandsaw: rips, crosscuts, cuts curves ,circles and resaws. Love it.

By the way if any of you visit Ikea pick up a couple of these lamps, very neat small lights. I've one mounted on the bandsaw , but would be handy for a drill press , morticer etc. It enhances the toy!

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00120724

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

If i had to pick one tool that i have been impressed with the most recently it would be the planar/thicknesser. My aching shoulders from all the handplaning were starting to get very upset with me! :D

I can't believe how cheap IKEA is. I could put them on the walls all over the woodshop and still have change from 20 quid! Thanks for that Fingalian.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hmm, I dunno, just one you say? :(

It'd be a toss up between the router and the table saw, I'd probably have to go with the router, very versatile machine. Thats assuming I can have the bits aswell Cork1? :p

Carlow52, your post reminded me, in some small way, of 'Triggers Broom' :D

[Carlow52, your post reminded me, in some small way, of 'Triggers Broom' :D

[/quote]

Good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

It would have to be my bench saw.

It's only a blade saw but I can make moulds with it by adjusting the fence and the blade height.

Then sanding the sharp bits.

I have to do this on a regular basis when trying to match rotten mouldings from doors and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Carlow52

You have to dance with the one that brought you. :D

Only one. :rolleyes:

A stationary power tool would have to be the bandsaw and my non power tool choice would be the workbench. Bigger is better in both instances.

• Advertisement
Advertisement