Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV License

Options
  • 30-04-2009 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I don't own a television. But I do own a computer.

Do I need to get a TV License?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Only if it's capable of receiving TV signals I believe - e.g. you have a TV Tuner card in it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Short answer is no,

However
    Do you own a VCR capable of receiving TV sdignals (able to record TV)
    Do you have a TV tuner in your PC
    Do you have an ariel coming into your premises.

Basicvally if you have any of the above they can go after you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Cabaal wrote: »
    Short answer is no,

However
    Do you own a VCR capable of receiving TV sdignals (able to record TV)
    Do you have a TV tuner in your PC
    Do you have an ariel coming into your premises.

Basicvally if you have any of the above they can go after you
    you must be capable of accepting the tv signal so having an aerial does not count unless you have something to plug it into like a tv or vcr or dvd player which has a tuner. you do not need a license for downloading programs off the net
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/media/tv_licences

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

There's a declaration you can sign at the post office where you confirm that you don't need a TV license. I found it nearly impossible to get hold of though. Take a look here to find contact details: http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/GeneralTemplates/ProductsAndServices.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID={C9315644-A019-4E10-844C-3A0236B89944}&NRORIGINALURL=/AnPost/tvlicence.htm?tools&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#FMI

However I've found that even having signed and filled that in they're inclined to ignore it and start looking for a license anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

is what I heard correct that the licence allows you to OWN a device capable of receiving a TV signal, regardless of if it is used or not, so even if you have a TV (or other device capable of receiving a signal) that's just sitting there unused you still need to have a licence for it?

or is that total crap?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

vibe666 wrote: »
    is what I heard correct that the licence allows you to OWN a device capable of receiving a TV signal, regardless of if it is used or not, so even if you have a TV (or other device capable of receiving a signal) that's just sitting there unused you still need to have a licence for it?

or is that total crap?

Of course that's right. What do you want them to do? Actually prove you watched the damned thing?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Of course that's right. What do you want them to do? Actually prove you watched the damned thing?:rolleyes:
    yup, that's the way it works in the UK.

I lived in a listed building in a conservation area in the UK and we were not allowed to make any external changes to the building and could not get anything other than 100% snow on our TV with the aerial we had in th attic, so we just used to hire out video's (before the days of DVD's) and we got hounded by the TV licence people because they refused to believe we didn't watch broadcast TV, even though we wrote to them telling them the story.

they used to reguarly call round to try and catch us out, but as we couldn't get any signal there was nothing they could do.

we eventually saved up and got sky and had to get a licence then, but until we did they were a real pain in the a$$.

vibe666 wrote: »
    yup, that's the way it works in the UK.

I lived in a listed building in a conservation area in the UK and we were not allowed to make any external changes to the building and could not get anything other than 100% snow on our TV with the aerial we had in th attic, so we just used to hire out video's (before the days of DVD's) and we got hounded by the TV licence people because they refused to believe we didn't watch broadcast TV, even though we wrote to them telling them the story.

they used to reguarly call round to try and catch us out, but as we couldn't get any signal there was nothing they could do.

we eventually saved up and got sky and had to get a licence then, but until we did they were a real pain in the a$$.
    under irish law you would have to buy the license as your equipment was capable of recieving the signal, also if a tv is broken it is seen as possible to get it fixed so a license is needed for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Is it a black & white computer?

Is it a black & white computer?
    what is the point of this post or who are you aiming your question at?

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    what is the point of this post or who are you aiming your question at?

Once upon a time, it was cheaper to have a black & white TV license than a coloured one, so I guess my humour was aimed at an older generation than yours. :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Once upon a time, it was cheaper to have a black & white TV license than a coloured one, so I guess my humour was aimed at an older generation than yours. :D

For what its worth I got it and I'm not that old :D

Cabaal wrote: »
    For what its worth I got it and I'm not that old :D

Explaining the joke kinda killed it though (that's assuming it was funny in the 1st place!).

Explaining the joke kinda killed it though (that's assuming it was funny in the 1st place!).

True, it was slightly amusing to begin with ;)

had you referred to a television or wireless set in the post instead of a computer i might have noticed the humour a lot earlier and strange as it might seem i am old enough to remember and have seen the monochrome licenses:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

If you do without tv - and they call and are satisfied enough coming away that you don't have a TV....How long before they call again ...or will they call again?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

I know that a tv licence covers radios but if you don't have a t.v. do you still need to buy a radio licence? that was certainly the case years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Hot Shot Hamish

if u rent an apartment that has a tv and cable supplied but doesnt state in the contract who pays the tv license .... is the landlord or tennant liable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

if u rent an apartment that has a tv and cable supplied but doesnt state in the contract who pays the tv license .... is the landlord or tennant liable
    Whoever owns the tv is responsible for the license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

A few years ago i went with my dad to pay for the dog license. He told her it was a black and white dog and could he get the cheaper license. She nearly wet herself laughing at him.

It was funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a Consumer Issue. OP, you should have your answer by now.

Thread closed.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement