Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'm going to vote Labour

Options
  • 30-04-2009 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Well, read the title. Fianna Fáil? - I'm sick of them and we need a change. They've done a lot of good, but also a lot of bad. Fianna Gael? - They have a terrible leader with no charisma and I never know what their policies are. Labour? - I like them because Éamon Gilmore always seems like he's going to explode when addressing the dáil!

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I did vote for them previously, but I'm very happy you've made that decision.

I myself will also vote fine gael now because I think that will help labour get into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

Kevster wrote: »
    Fianna Gael? - They have a terrible leader with no charisma and I never know what their policies are.

There's a reasonably substantial list of recent policies on www.finegael.ie
    Labour? - I like them because Éamon Gilmore always seems like he's going to explode when addressing the dáil!

As effective an attribute as that might be in opposition at a time like this, I'm not so sure it would make for an effective statesman in government,

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

I can never understand the arguement about Enda Kenny having no charisma. Not only do I think it's not very important, but I don't think many TDs have charisma. Is Cowen charismatic?

What I want in a TD / Taoiseach is someone who is competent and honest. FF have shown they are anything but these things. I think FG at least deserve a chance. But the status quo cannot remain. Cowen, Coughlan and Lenihan all strike me as being out of their depth. Apart from some very short term measures to try address the budget deficit, I have yet to see anything from them to help get Ireland back on track in the medium/long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Hi,

Labour? - I like them because Éamon Gilmore always seems like he's going to explode when addressing the dáil!

Kevin

Ah - the populist vote strikes again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Eamon Gilmore is a terrible leader, Pat Rabbite was better then him. I dont think he is that good of a speaker in the Dail at all. Labour seem to be the "winging party" in government coming up with NOTHING. No plans, just all talk. Joan Burton was on TV3 a few months ago before the budget and refused point blank to offer any hint of what they would do if in government. Instead she just moaned and windged at the government. Right now is not a time for moaning, its a time for offer real alternative and change to the people of Ireland who seem to be crying out for someone else to take over. In additon to the blundering mess the party seem to be lately, they can not be trusted in my opinion. I think they will do ANYTHING to get into government and if that means joining up with Finna Fail they will. Is it any wonder why are they refusing to comment on it for so long.

Fine Gael on the other hand have actually came up with plans, the latest includes a dramatic reform of our health service. They not only point out flaws, their shock and anger but they actually hit home with their points and offer real change. Some of the people on the bench for FG offer real hope while Labour just doesnt seem to be offering anything. They get so much media attention but offer so little besides complaining. Their leader might not be Barrack Obama or Bertie Ahern but I do feel that he offers a change and can lead his party into government without rocking the boat. Unlike Cowen, who is unable to stedy his boat at all. I think he is a very good speaker at times but often comes across slightly "wooden" as the common term goes. But deep down inside he is a decent leader and offers decent change which is what we need.

I would hate to see them leading the country, or in government by themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

Sully wrote: »
    Joan Burton was on TV3 a few months ago before the budget and refused point blank to offer any hint of what they would do if in government.
    A few months ago, exactly. Did FG have any concrete plans a few months ago? Nobody did. I also saw Simon Coveney on the same show a few nights later doing the exact same thing. It's called "letting the government drown"...
    Fine Gael on the other hand have actually came up with plans, the latest includes a dramatic reform of our health service.
    The latest which was published on Monday. I think its a hugely positive step towards a new health system, but Labour have been actively promoting a universal system for years. I also thought that their budget submission was pretty good.
    I would hate to see them leading the country, or in government by themselves.
    Well they're a sure bet to be in the next government with either FF or FG so buckle up! They are the only serious party that offer anything remotely left wing, and people have seen of late where populism/centrism gets us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

Ah - the populist vote strikes again.
    Never the case here. Irish people, well those that bother their jacksies actually voting, tend to vote on local issues ie. whatever the local polly can do for them. TDs still meet the minions in 'clinics' at the local boozer in this country.

The country is doomed to coalition governments for this and the next generation at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Driseog

Are Fine Gael not just Fianna Fáil in disguise? If Labour are to get in they need to start thinking about a coalition of left-minded parties or have they forgotten what they stand for? Fine Fáil, I mean Gael, just want to use them to get their hands on the prize.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

r0nanf wrote: »
    A few months ago, exactly. Did FG have any concrete plans a few months ago? Nobody did. I also saw Simon Coveney on the same show a few nights later doing the exact same thing. It's called "letting the government drown"...

Its something that she has always been at. FG, to the best of my recollection, did submit a plan of action and happily spoke about it on radio etc. It may have been TodayFM that Enda Kenny was on and both the listener and commentators applauded Kenny & Co. for being honest and upfront while not giving the gory details so "letting the government drown". Labour on the other hand did make a contribution but was very closed up about it.

The latest which was published on Monday. I think its a hugely positive step towards a new health system, but Labour have been actively promoting a universal system for years. I also thought that their budget submission was pretty good.

I havent heard very much from Labour in terms of their party plans. Lately it seems they just want to have a go at the government rather then offer anything in terms of change.
    Well they're a sure bet to be in the next government with either FF or FG so buckle up! They are the only serious party that offer anything remotely left wing, and people have seen of late where populism/centrism gets us.

So your happy for them to go in with FF? I cant see Labour being in government on their own, or in with another party with Glimore leading the ship. Labour are, in my view, not a strong alternative. If anything they are a party that just "wants to get their hands on the prize". Happily jump into bed with any party that will give them power.

Whatever about them going into power with FG, not on their own please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I cant see any party doing much for the country at the moment. I looked at all the proposals for the budget but I wasnt impressed. As much as I hate FF they have probably done the right thing in this budget. It was hard but people need to get real now. Theres no point complaining about whats done before.

Lets face it. Theres no alternative to the magnificent three bandwagon in this country. Judging by all the budget proposals in coming up to the budget I would go with FF. Labour or FG dont have the balls to make any harsh decisions that the IMF could well be doing in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Driseog

And lets not forget at the last general election FG and Labour had the same spending spree and low tax intentions as FF so it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference who came in, they would have still fcuked it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Good man OP. Labour seem to be offering a real alternative unlike FG who are just spouting out the same rubbish the PD's were. How many PD's have they taken in of late? Too many. I'd have given FG a lower preference but not now, especially with their horrible education and health proposals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I'll definitely be voting Labour sooner rather than later I hope! I think the next govt will be Fine Gael/Labour. Fianna Fail will be wiped out all going well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Saabdub

The last time Labour were given a mandate to change the status quo in 1992 they went into Government with Fianna Fail. There's no guarantee they wouldn't do it gain.

Good man OP. Labour seem to be offering a real alternative unlike FG who are just spouting out the same rubbish the PD's were. How many PD's have they taken in of late? Too many. I'd have given FG a lower preference but not now, especially with their horrible education and health proposals.

Health? Horrible proposal?! How?

Its worked before and others are considering it - whats so horrible about it over here? Its not like the HSE system is working. Education - I think you will find FG wouldnt be throwing away money on prefabs and lack of interest in developing schools. Iv heard crazy storys at the doorsteps from people telling me their education/health related horror storys. They seem to offer a better alternative on getting students to contribute fees wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

But Sully people will make money out of our health!!!!!!!! Yes, they will provide better services and extremely little cost difference but that doesnt matter because ... em ... erm ... Workers of the World UNITE!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Saabdub wrote: »
    The last time Labour were given a mandate to change the status quo in 1992 they went into Government with Fianna Fail. There's no guarantee they wouldn't do it gain.

The last time is the very reason I would expect them not to go into Government with FF. Just remember they were decimated in the election when they came out of the coalition. I've been a Labour Supporter all my life but if they go into Government with FF again I'm done with them like I'm done with most politicians in this country. Unfortunately politics here is stuck right in the middle of the road (including Labour) with nobody willing to step up and make really brave decisions anymore unless market research tells them it won't lose them votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I'm so sick of hearing people discuss the different parties merits based solely on their leaders. How about some ideological positions every now and again?

musician wrote: »
    The last time is the very reason I would expect them not to go into Government with FF. Just remember they were decimated in the election when they came out of the coalition. I've been a Labour Supporter all my life but if they go into Government with FF again I'm done with them like I'm done with most politicians in this country. Unfortunately politics here is stuck right in the middle of the road (including Labour) with nobody willing to step up and make really brave decisions anymore unless market research tells them it won't lose them votes.

Okay, so they got hit because of what they did. Now the time is coming back and the situation is looking possible. After everything, Labour seem hesitant to rule out going into government with FF. They wont rule it in or out, same with FG IIRC.

Thats one of the many reasons people are hesitant I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

zootroid wrote: »
    I can never understand the arguement about Enda Kenny having no charisma. Not only do I think it's not very important, but I don't think many TDs have charisma. Is Cowen charismatic?

What I want in a TD / Taoiseach is someone who is competent and honest. FF have shown they are anything but these things. I think FG at least deserve a chance. But the status quo cannot remain. Cowen, Coughlan and Lenihan all strike me as being out of their depth. Apart from some very short term measures to try address the budget deficit, I have yet to see anything from them to help get Ireland back on track in the medium/long term.
    Good point dude, but how can you gauge who's honest and who isn't? I simply don't have confidence in any of them anymore, and feel that I'd do a better job myself. I've been monitoring politics in the US, UK, and Ireland for a few years now and it just seems to be the same bull**** over and over again:

One party is elected, and the the other parties criticise them. Public opinion shifts, and then another party gets elected and then THEY get slated by the other parties. Isn't it just boring?

• Advertisement

Good point dude, but how can you gauge who's honest and who isn't? I simply don't have confidence in any of them anymore, and feel that I'd do a better job myself. I've been monitoring politics in the US, UK, and Ireland for a few years now and it just seems to be the same bull**** over and over again:

One party is elected, and the the other parties criticise them. Public opinion shifts, and then another party gets elected and then THEY get slated by the other parties. Isn't it just boring?

Well considering FF have been in power for a very long time in this government with very little chance for the opposition to prove themselves, I think that puts to bed most of your argument bar the fact its boring. Obviouslly opposition partys in all walks of like will do things differently - including in business.

Lets take the US for example.. Republicans ran the country for a long time and really damaged the country. Public opinion shifted towards the Democrats as they felt they could offer real change with Obama - and so far in the first 100 days, Obama has fixed a lot of the damaged caused by the Republicans and is on course to fixing a whole lot of other problems the country is in. The americans finally saw that the opposition could offer real change and have given them a chance. So far so good.

Its a lot more boring having the same government running the country for long periods of time. It would be a lot more boring if the opposition agreed with everything they did and just sat back happy as larry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Okay, so they got hit because of what they did. Now the time is coming back and the situation is looking possible. After everything, Labour seem hesitant to rule out going into government with FF. They wont rule it in or out, same with FG IIRC.

Thats one of the many reasons people are hesitant I guess.

I think this slogan sums it up - 'We are not Fianna Fail, we are not Fine Gael, we are Labour'

If you think Eamon Gilmore would go into coalition with Fianna Fail under Cowen then you are delusional. I'd be of the view that if we enter government, we should go into a coalition that will allow us to enact as much of our policies as possible. However, I don't think we should go into power with FF at the next GE, as there would be too much anger at us for putting that shower back in power. FF are in such a state nowadays that we could really put a gun to their head but I just don't think it would benefit the party at this time.

Gilmore has reiterated a number of times that he doesn't want this political culture in Ireland to remain a two and a half party system, he wants Labour to match and overtake FF and FG - and I believe if anyone is in a position to do that, he is.

And for those who say he's a so so speaker...

That's my next vote, right there! Look at him go! :p He's the best of a bad bunch really, although I can't actually think of much 'bad' about him right now. Simply put, I don't know much about him. However, now that I've decided Im' going to vote Labour, I'm sure that I'll be paying much more attention to what he and his cronies are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The big cheese just posted what IMO is the greatest Irish political speech ever. I have heard it loads of times but always fast forward to the last 5 minutes. He finishes so powerfully. "We are not Fianna Fail, or Fine Gael, We are Labour"
    and "sea, is feidir linne freisin". Brilliant man, hopefully our next Taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

How about some ideological positions every now and again?

I didn't realize we had parties with 'ideological positions'. Seriously. I mean I'm sure they do have them but it's hard to tell as this doesn't seem to be something parties define themselves with here (in Ireland). At least not in the mainstream media. Or is it that they're really all the same ideologically and the only difference is about how to bring the economy back on track and the banks back into business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Driseog wrote: »
    Are Fine Gael not just Fianna Fáil in disguise? QUOTE]

no

Satan is fianna fail in disguise

DaDumTish wrote: »
    Driseog wrote: »
    Are Fine Gael not just Fianna Fáil in disguise? QUOTE]

no

Satan is fianna fail in disguise

You're both wrong: An Garda Síochána are really the devil(s) in disguise (Each police station has the prefix '666' in it's phone number).

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Labour have taken a fair share of ex-PDs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Labour have taken a fair share of ex-PDs too.

If so, its a far lower amount then Fine Gael or Fianna Fail. I can't think of any high profile PD switching to Labour but I'm open to names. I'd say a lot of the members who valued the PD's social liberalism over their economics neo-liberalism will find their best home in Labour tbh. Hopefully a lot of Green members will switch to Labour as they realise that the Greens are no longer a leftist party, without any principles.

To the OP, if ya want you can PM me and I'l send ya some info as a Labour member...If ya join you won't be disappointed I promise!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I myself will also vote fine gael now because I think that will help labour get into power.

If you want to see Labour in power vote Labour, not anyone else. I never understand this logic. Fine Gael transfers rarely return to Labour but Labour transfers generally break down in equal measure for FF and FG, meaning voting Labour, then FG is more likely to get you what you want.

Advertisement