Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'm going to vote Labour

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

ninty9er wrote: »
    If you want to see Labour in power vote Labour, not anyone else. I never understand this logic. Fine Gael transfers rarely return to Labour but Labour transfers generally break down in equal measure for FF and FG, meaning voting Labour, then FG is more likely to get you what you want.
    But Labour could go in with FF, whereas FG won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Generalisation alert:

FG transfers don't go to Labour, they go to the 2nd FG candidate. Labour can't form a government with FF if all transfers left go to FG and FF don't have enough TD in the Dáil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

If they did it would be the end of them, too.

Some wake of destruction, there......PDs, now Greens, next Labour ?

No, I'd say most people will be looking for written guarantees about THE PARTY (and not pulling a fast one like Sargent did about "not leading the Greens into Govt with FF") but a complete and irrevocable guarantee that Labour wouldn't sell us out if the numbers went a particular way.

I was considering Labour until I read that post and the previous one reminding us about 1992; now I'm going to hang tough until I hear an unambiguous guarantee......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

The only difference that I can see between FF and FG is that FF are better at elections, apart from that, there is nothing significant between them in practical terms that I can see.

The greens have proven themselves to be cringing non-entities hanging on for power sake, all mouth before the election and not even a whimper afterwards.

SF seem to be able to do things on a local level but their national level politics is not any place that I would like to go.

That leaves labour as a party or the independents neither of which can be as bad as the current crowd.

I can't undstand why people think doing the same thing in every election will yield different results!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

fenris wrote: »
    The only difference that I can see between FF and FG is that FF are better at elections, apart from that, there is nothing significant between them in practical terms that I can see.

The greens have proven themselves to be cringing non-entities hanging on for power sake, all mouth before the election and not even a whimper afterwards.

SF seem to be able to do things on a local level but their national level politics is not any place that I would like to go.

That leaves labour as a party or the independents neither of which can be as bad as the current crowd.

I can't undstand why people think doing the same thing in every election will yield different results!

while the differences between the centrists parties of FF or FG are subtle , thier is a difference in that FF are a populist party so they swing left or right according to which suits thier particular agenda at the time , presently they are facing left so as to suit the unions and public sector who they seem so slavish towards, they are also conscious of the power of those on wellfare right now

fine gael on the other hand are more or less ever so slightly centre right most of the time

neither have much in the way of idealogy although having an ounce would be ten times more than FF

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    If they did it would be the end of them, too.

Some wake of destruction, there......PDs, now Greens, next Labour ?

No, I'd say most people will be looking for written guarantees about THE PARTY (and not pulling a fast one like Sargent did about "not leading the Greens into Govt with FF") but a complete and irrevocable guarantee that Labour wouldnt' sell us out if the numbers went a particular way.

I was considering Labour until I read that post and the previous one reminding us about 1992; now I'm going to hang tough until I hear an unamiguous guarantee......

I think I would still vote for Labour if they were to go in with Fianna Fail in the next government, because the size of the Labour segment of government would be such that FF would have to listen to them, and they couldn't afford to dump Labour without dissolving govt. This is the principle reason I feel that FF went with the Green/PD/Independent option, rather than Labour, because FF can afford to lose any of those three groups and still maintain a majority, meaning they aren't beholden to any of them.
    fenris wrote: »

Independents are part of the current crowd surely?

Advertisement