Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If tings get worse do you think bartering will come back?

Options
  • 30-04-2009 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

If tings get worse do you think bartering will come back? I believe they may have brought it back in Brazil or Argentinia a couple of years ago?

Could it happen here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

Bob Z wrote: »
    If tings get worse do you think bartering will come back? I believe they may have brought it back in Brazil or Argentinia a couple of years ago?

Could it happen here?

Nope. It would require a complete and utter collapse in the store of value that people place in the Euro as a means of exchange, which I can't forsee happening - the Euro is arguably the most stable and secure of the world's major currencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

It still happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Melange wrote: »
    Nope. It would require a complete and utter collapse in the store of value that people place in the Euro as a means of exchange, which I can't forsee happening - the Euro is arguably the most stable and secure of the world's major currencies.

I didnt meant the collapse of the euro. Bartering already exists. What i mean is would it take of in a bigger way

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

Bob Z wrote: »
    I didnt meant the collapse of the euro. Bartering already exists. What i mean is would it take of in a bigger way

And I didn't mean the value of the Euro relative to other currencies on the forex markets - I meant the perceived value that Irish people place in it as a commodity that can be traded for goods and services. Unless that perceived value goes out the window (or Ireland suffers from a bout of severe inflation), bartering will not take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

certainley happens on a local basis i do work for my neighbours and they help me when i need something done (and i get free eggs !)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 rivermonkey

I have heard before that bartering is illegal, as it cuts out the taxman.
    No VAT, excise or other duties are paid in a barter transaction.
    This has been an issue for land/property transactions where stamp duty is due.
    I remember a while back reading about a special scheme allowing farmers to consolidate or swop holdings without tax penalty. This was to allow for people who had part of their farm cut off by a road or something to do a land-swap with a neighbour, for example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They just launched a local currency in Ballinasloe . I take it they care less about the VAT man

http://www.ballinasloecreditunion.ie/LETS.html
    One of the major advantages to employers of using the LETS is that they can give staff up to 250 euros P/A worth of the new currency tax- free!

wah HAY !!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

This has been an issue for land/property transactions where stamp duty is due.
    I remember a while back reading about a special scheme allowing farmers to consolidate or swop holdings without tax penalty. This was to allow for people who had part of their farm cut off by a road or something to do a land-swap with a neighbour, for example.

I think that it is legal provided a market value can be placed on the transactions, although the Revenue Commissioners would probably draw the line at full-time barterers offering to clean the government windows to settle a tax-bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

A credit union printing it's own money.

Anyone have a number for the finical regulator ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

jhegarty wrote: »
    A credit union printing it's own money.

Anyone have a number for the finical regulator ?

He's probably already got some of theirs, no need to remind him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement