Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

passat woes

• 30-04-2009 2:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭

hey all asked this question a while back

weird noise

didnt really explain properly, noise i thought was coming from back of car
    but its more from the gear area, had it put twice on on-board
    computer only fault first time was airbags- since rectified...
    had a golf last year major probs, dmf, timing belt etc so got rid
    this one (passat) has similar problems ie noise which i had been told is a turbo whistle.
    fuel pump was redone in 2007 under vw recall issues so had a guy
    look last week and said fault codes had come up for fuel pump
    (dealer said impossible to come up as its mechanical)
    and fault for mass air flow meter,,
    brought it back today as its still under warranty only got last sept
    came back with dmf failure, now he will replace but do you think
    thats the problem, very sluggigh first morning start, shuddering etc
    when idiling etc usual depress clutch, noise goes slightly
    but not fully .. also is having a turbo whistle normal???
    sorry for long post but know some one will have an answer,
    thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

definately DMF, only had the same problem myself a few weeks back in mine, they need to repace it and the clutch, it will rectify the shuddering etc. the diesels tend to be a small bit 'rougher' or coarse when idling when started cold but fine when warmed up. if they are not covering under warranty Walsh motors in belfast will do the lot for approx €680. hope this puts you at ease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

minxie wrote: »
    hey all asked this question a while back

weird noise

didnt really explain properly, noise i thought was coming from back of car
    but its more from the gear area, had it put twice on on-board
    computer only fault first time was airbags- since rectified...
    had a golf last year major probs, dmf, timing belt etc so got rid
    this one (passat) has similar problems ie noise which i had been told is a turbo whistle.
    fuel pump was redone in 2007 under vw recall issues so had a guy
    look last week and said fault codes had come up for fuel pump
    (dealer said impossible to come up as its mechanical)
    and fault for mass air flow meter,,
    brought it back today as its still under warranty only got last sept
    came back with dmf failure, now he will replace but do you think
    thats the problem, very sluggigh first morning start, shuddering etc
    when idiling etc usual depress clutch, noise goes slightly
    but not fully .. also is having a turbo whistle normal???
    sorry for long post but know some one will have an answer,
    thanks guys

Aye defo DMF

Turbo whistle is normal for any turbo whether it be diesel or petrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

definately DMF, only had the same problem myself a few weeks back in mine, they need to repace it and the clutch, it will rectify the shuddering etc. the diesels tend to be a small bit 'rougher' or coarse when idling when started cold but fine when warmed up. if they are not covering under warranty Walsh motors in belfast will do the lot for approx €680. hope this puts you at ease
    thanks for that :D
    its still under warranty and he is replacing it for me under that,
    had a replacement 05 A3 while he looked at mine and it
    had same problems...
    why in gods name are they putting dmfs in cars???
    Moanin wrote: »
    Aye defo DMF

Turbo whistle is normal for any turbo whether it be diesel or petrol
    so its nothing toworry about as such then??
    ie its not gonna blow or anything soon??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Most likely DMF OP. You're best avoiding cars with these DMF clutch solutions.

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Most likely DMF OP. You're best avoiding cars with these DMF clutch solutions.
    not quiet sure what you mean there darragh ..
    think he will be replacing it with a single mass flywheel
    from what i gathered yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Since the problem has arisen with the DMF in my car I seem to be reading about it everywhere.

Symptoms for me:
    Trouble starting, due to DMF debris in the starter
    Vibration through the clutch pedal
    occasional rough idle
    tapping noise from engine

All points to DMF. Getting it replaced by Walsh's up North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

I'm just wondering what will eventually happen if you don't get this repaired? Will it eventually wreck your gearbox?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

not quiet sure what you mean there darragh ..
    think he will be replacing it with a single mass flywheel
    from what i gathered yesterday

Sorry, I meant if you are buying a used (or a new car for that matter), that has a DMF in it. Escecially a used car though, sure who wants a 1,500 repair bill to sort out a clutch issue???
    Moanin wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what will eventually happen if you don't get this repaired? Will it eventually wreck your gearbox?

Eventually it will be impossible to get gear and you could be dealing with the assembly coming apart and causing more damage to the bell housing area, starter motor or Jasus knows what.

I've a pic somewhere of a clutch I did a year or two ago that came apart and literally made sh*te of the complete gearbox, I'll see if I can find it and stick it up here...

I'm getting this job done next Thursday in Walsh's motors up North. As I need the car between now and then I asked would it be ok to use the car in the meantime. He reckoned that if I wasn't gettting any major vibration caused by the DMF then I'd be ok.

The car isn't right but its not as bad as some people I've read about. Surely I'd be for a few more days?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

My 06 Passat has exactly the same symptoms,
    Shuddering when idoling, vibration in the clutch pedal and when I start the car, it gives a good jerk.

Sounds like the DMF has gone to the wall,:(

Has anybody got the contact details for Walsh Motors, or a reasonly priced place in Dublin to get DMF replaced.

Thanks

• Advertisement

aido 1976 wrote: »
    Shuddering when idoling, vibration in the clutch pedal and when I start the car, it gives a good jerk.

Has anybody got the contact details for Walsh Motors, or a reasonly priced place in Dublin to get DMF replaced.

Thanks

http://www.walshmotors.co.uk/

or you could order the parts yourself from here and get a local indy to do the job.

Have you had any problem getting into gear?

quarryman wrote: »
    http://www.walshmotors.co.uk/

or you could order the parts yourself from here and get a local indy to do the job.

Have you had any problem getting into gear?

Have had the occasional problem of having to press v hard on the clutch and getting a little grinding noise just before it engages, but only on the odd occasion. Main problem is the shuddering when idol, knocking noise from the engine area and sharp jerk when starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thanks
    I would be going back to the main dealer and looking for a goodwill repair, seeing as the problem is that common.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

I have a 04 407 1.6 hdi and the dmf will need to be replaced at around
    100kish....:rolleyes:
    As far as i know peugoet have gone back to the solid flywheels on the newer 407's and there are solid flywheel Conversion kits for the 407's available,
    and maybe also for the passats....:)
    maybe send these a note....http://www.motaquip.co.uk/products.php?id=1

esel wrote: »
    I would be going back to the main dealer and looking for a goodwill repair, seeing as the problem is that common.

Don't think I would get away with this esel, it's a company yolk, high milage and the dealer is a well know VW dealer on the northside and from my experience they are not the most friendly dealers I have had the pleasure of dealing with, Lets just say a VW dealer in Swords. Sure alot know these guys.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

OK, I bringing the passat to Walsh Motors in the morning to get the DMF done. Can somebody please advise some directions to get to their place. Thanks.

Get off the M1 in Belfast on exit 2. Keep going til roundabout, 3rd exit right. Take the (next i think) left before the furniture place. Up that street next left then its a hidden entrance on your left, you might drive by it, sort of inconspicuous.

Thanks Quarryman

OK, I bringing the passat to Walsh Motors in the morning to get the DMF done. Can somebody please advise some directions to get to their place. Thanks.

Any update???

I'm getting mine done in the morning.

• Advertisement

Any update???

Got the DMF done on the Passat last friday, the thing drove like a dream......

:( Until last night, Having problems with third gear, go's into third with out any problems, but when changing up or down I seems to be getting stuck, Don't think it is the actual gear box, feels more like something is getting caught in the selector :(

The gearbox has to come out to do the job right? How would that affect the selector?

Did you contact Eugene about it?

Its annoying if you have follow up problems if you have to make the trip back to Belfast.

The gearbox has to come out to do the job right? How would that affect the selector?

Did you contact Eugene about it?

Its annoying if you have follow up problems if you have to make the trip back to Belfast.

Sorry, I am only saying the selector as that is what someone else has suggested to me. Im no mechanic and dont know alot about these things.

Have contacted Eugene, he suggests it may be simply some adjustments, which is fair enough. And as you say Quarryman, it is a bit annoying having to make the trip back to Belfast, especially if it is just some adjustments. Finding the time is the problem.

Get off the M1 in Belfast on exit 2. Keep going til roundabout, 3rd exit right. Take the (next i think) left before the furniture place. Up that street next left then its a hidden entrance on your left, you might drive by it, sort of inconspicuous.

Oh yea... Thanks for the direction, they where spot on.

I'll be checking mine before i drive away tomorrow i'll check for the problem you mentioned, good to know. Pity its something that has cropped up a day or so later.

Like I said earlier, I got mine done last friday, and this problem only cropped up yesterday evening,

Ah ok a week. These are the kind of things that are easier when your mechanic is local. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 anyideas

Going by the symptoms described here, I think my 06 Passat might be having a DMF problem too.

Its a UK import in year 3 of its 3 year Warrenty. I was reading up on the warrenty on the VW UK website and it mentions that if a failure occurs in the third year when the car is outside the UK, as long as it is repaired in an authorised dealership and paid for, the owner will be repaid the repair costs.

I was just wondering if I'm reading this properly and if anyone has experience getting a fault like the DMF repaired here on a UK import and then reclaiming the repair cost from VW UK?

Thanks

Ah ok a week. These are the kind of things that are easier when your mechanic is local. :(

Update, it gets worse, :(

Just out in the car there, and had to break hard (Bus pulled out without any indication) I was in third gear.......When I went to change gear, the gear stick was well stuck there, had to give it a right hard yank to free it. Didn't happen again.
    When I got back to the job, breaked it hard in the yard again in third gear to check, and yes again, fairly well stuck there.

I'm begining to get worried. :eek:

• Advertisement

Me too.

only 3rd gear?

Me too.

only 3rd gear?

Am I right in thinking Quarryman, you haven't got your DMF done yet ???

nope supposed to be tomorrow.

but i'm worried if things like this are going to pop up for me in a week's time aswell.

Your worried,

:( I have one of the problems that you have and my dmf was done last week :(

:)Decided to get a mechanic mate to check out the problem with the passat, before arranging to head back to belfast. Turns out there was little to worry about, it was a simple fix. A support arm / bar / bracket of some sort had come loose / failed to be tightened when the DMF was done, hence getting in the way of the gear linkage. Simply needed to be tightened up, and problem sorted.

Hopefully this is the end of the matter,

:)Decided to get a mechanic mate to check out the problem with the passat, before arranging to head back to belfast. Turns out there was little to worry about, it was a simple fix. A support arm / bar / bracket of some sort had come loose / failed to be tightened when the DMF was done, hence getting in the way of the gear linkage. Simply needed to be tightened up, and problem sorted.

Hopefully this is the end of the matter,

Good to hear aido :D
    when my golfs dmf had to be replaced last year ,same
    thing had happened,
    support bracket hadnt been tightened :(
    i am putting the passat in the end of the month for new dmf
    hope all goes well ;)
    (cant really believe its my 2nd dmf to be replaced
    on two cars in the space of a year)

• Advertisement

Got mine done yesterday and so far (touch wood) everything seems perfect.

My flywheel didn't have too much wear but there was definate play there. Good to have a brand new clutch in there aswell, feels like a new car!

Also Aido to clarify, when i said "i'm worried" above i meant worried for you and me in that i was about to get the job done and i was concerned about things going wrong a week later. When i said "me too" i meant i was also worried, not that i had the same symptoms as you. Hope that makes sense! :)

anyway, good to hear you got it sorted, DMFs are the devil!

Good luck Minxie, when you get yours done,

Quarryman, keep us posted on yours, if there is any troubles, hopefully not. (Yea, I understand what you where saying now)

Good luck Minxie, when you get yours done,

Quarryman, keep us posted on yours, if there is any troubles, hopefully not. (Yea, I understand what you where saying now)

Mines getting done in the morning :)
    will keep you posted ....

Mines getting done in the morning :)
    will keep you posted ....

Good luck!

Done about 1000 miles on mine now and nothing bad to report.

Glad to hear it Quarryman,

I have had no more trouble, at least not with gears, dmf's or clutches.

• Advertisement

Got my DMF replaced on tues :D
    running like a dream .....
    its like a totally new car since ;)

Good Stuff, Minxie

Advertisement