Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly Installed UPC 20MB BB Help needed?

Options
  • 30-04-2009 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,
    I finally got my 20MB BB installed by UPC with the supplied Netgear WRN2000 wireless Router. All seems well but, when I hit my homepage (google) it comes up with a login screen asking for a SID and Password. Even if I type in www.google.ie in the address bar it routes me to that particular page, any other websites works fine with no trouble. If I bypass the Netgear and go straight into my cable modem, everything works fine. I guess it is something with Netgear and since UPC is only been using this model for 4 days now (apparently), nobody really knows what the problem is?

Any Help or thoughts out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Are u sure your homepage was not changed to the router config page? I remember something like that when i got upc install but it was only like that for like 5 mins and i couldn't browse the web

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Did you try:
    1) Turn everything off, have the wireless router connected to the cablemodem (NOT the PC).
    2) Power on cablemodem first - wait for the first four lights (from left to right) to light steadily before doing anything else
    3) Once all four lights are on, then power on the wireless router
    4) Try connect again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Kensington wrote: »
    Did you try:
    1) Turn everything off, have the wireless router connected to the cablemodem (NOT the PC).
    2) Power on cablemodem first - wait for the first four lights (from left to right) to light steadily before doing anything else
    3) Once all four lights are on, then power on the wireless router
    4) Try connect again

Kensington is right, if that fails you'll need to call their support. Your modem is trying to request network access. Should have been done by the installer but if its teething problems just call them and they can give you the username and pass over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Some laptops in college(nuig) have similar problems where they automatically no matter where and seemingly randomly bring up the college login screen.

To stop this you have to clear cookies etc and it begins working fine then do you have access to other webpages?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 woutie

Thanx guys,

Ended up calling their support and they sus'd it for me.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

do you know what they actually did to fix the problem?

it might help the next guy who has the issue if you were able to post the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 woutie

It seems like the install guys didn't do their job properly. They setup the logging (through the netgear router) at first to the upc server and reboot the cable modem. They never rebooted the netgear router, so this was forcing the log in screen at the google page - don't know why on google. So we logged in again using the details of my upc email account, confirm my services on the next page and rebooted the netgear router - that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

cool, good to know, thanks.

how are you finding the new WRN2000 router?

afaik, they've only been providing it to people for a week or so, and I would be interested in how well it performs.

Advertisement