Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The car petrol and diesel thread....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Robbo wrote: »
    It can't be said enough, if you've a smartphone, get the Pumps.ie app to find out where your cheapest stations are locally and beware fly-by-night independents who have diesel a good bit cheaper than anywhere else local, if you value your engine.

And update the prices where possible (the usual warnings - not while driving etc). There's nothing worse than seeings a two week old price and wondering how much it has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

petrol 157.9 and deisel 147.9 at the Esso station in ballybrit this morning, at last some reductions !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

petrol 157.9 and deisel 147.9 at the Esso station in ballybrit this morning, at last some reductions !

I'm amazed that they're even somewhere inline with the rest of the country. It being galway & all. I'm recently driving to Dublin alot & i got my last fill diesel for 1.458 in applegreen celbridge. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dj320

bagels wrote: »
    Down to 161.9 in Tuam
    RIP OFF CARTELL

Did you ever think maybe stations have it cut so low on price that they simply cannot go any lower hence they all end up the same price , as a filling station owner if I was even 1cent over the next station I would see a drop in my weekly totals. Also the reason they rise the price or decrease the same day is because it changes every tues and fri at the refineries.
    But then I wonder how mush they actually save on it by driving miles to save maybe 50cent on a fill and turn around in the shop and happily pay 9euro on a pack of cigs, some people are really obsessed by petrol prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

158.9 for petrol at monaghans on the tuam road yesterday, prices there falling every day for the last week.

• Advertisement

barryd09 wrote: »
    158.9 for petrol at monaghans on the tuam road yesterday, prices there falling every day for the last week.

Wait till after the weekend, both petrol and derv have risen 2.5cpl and 2cpl respectively, went up Wednesday night and again tomorrow night so expect to see an increase in the pump soon again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

160.9 at Westside for petrol today. Is the price on the way up again?

Wednesday 17/6/12 paid 157.9 out in Monivea.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭StonedRaider

ladhrann wrote: »
    160.9 at Westside for petrol today. Is the price on the way up again?

Wednesday 17/6/12 paid 157.9 out in Monivea.

Yep most definitely , it has risen 2cpl on derv and 2.5cpl on petrol in the past week , no change on our pump prices yet but expect it

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

Just found out from my garage that the reason my Check Engine light was on is due to fuel filter clogged. They say dirty diesel, the filter was only changed in Feb when it was serviced last. I was getting diesel from Woodquay for the last few weeks......I'd steer well clear

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Topaz on SeamusQuirke charging 171.9 for petrol this morning.
    Now that's the highest I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

snubbleste wrote: »
    Topaz on SeamusQuirke charging 171.9 for petrol this morning.
    Now that's the highest I've ever seen.

And we aren't suprised one bit because of the AA writing all those articles that softened us up to price hikes.

And the AA is in bed with Topaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

When the AA were trumpeting a price decrease a number of weeks ago, it did not fall by as much as they were predicting. It will be interesting to see by how much the price will rise this time round; why do I have the feeling that it will go up by more than they are saying? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

And we aren't suprised one bit because of the AA writing all those articles that softened us up to price hikes.

And the AA is in bed with Topaz.

Topaz certainly have too much of the market in Galway.

I was in Dublin on Friday and petrol/diesel is 5 or 6 cents cheaper than Galway on average. Crazy when you think rent for filling station premises must be more expensive in Dublin. There is a much better mix of filling station brands in Dublin which is probably why petrol/diesel is cheaper than Galway (more competition). In Dublin, I have yet to pass four filling stations in a row that are of one particular brand. In Galway there is a Topaz on Lough Atalia (Moneen end), one at Bohermore, one at the West end of the Quincentennary Bridge and another one on the SQR. There's not exactly a huge distance between them!! There are other Topaz filling stations in Galway also...

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

antichrist wrote: »
    Just found out from my garage that the reason my Check Engine light was on is due to fuel filter clogged. They say dirty diesel, the filter was only changed in Feb when it was serviced last. I was getting diesel from Woodquay for the last few weeks......I'd steer well clear
    agree with ya antichrist, we got a fill 2 weeks ago ,we didnt get half the milage out of it. have heard since that ther,s stuff being put through it. a guy who delivers petrol told us.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

I was furious when I heard the AA on radio and TV touting this price increase it was like giving the petrol retailers carte blanche to increase the price.

Fcuk them anyway it went up this morning surprise surprise,a barrell of oil is 114 dollars last year it was nearly 140 dollars how can this price increase be justified. I thought the AA was supposed to be on our side

??
    What was the $exchange rate at those times + has their been extra taxes added in the past year?

KevR wrote: »
    Topaz certainly have too much of the market in Galway.

I was in Dublin on Friday and petrol/diesel is 5 or 6 cents cheaper than Galway on average.

You must have been southside kev, the northside is about on a par with Galway.
    snubbleste wrote: »
    ??
    What was the $exchange rate at those times + has their been extra taxes added in the past year?

When oil was about $126 dollar earlier (march 13) this year the euro was $1.30 (€96.47). On March 1 oil closed $126.2 with the euro rate being $1.33 - meaning a barrel of oil was nearly €2 cheaper (€94.75)

Least year oil peaked at about $126.22 (not $140) in May when the Libyan crisis was at its peak. The exchange rate at the time was €1=$1.48 (€85/barrel).

If anyone is interested in calculating the raw material costs, there are 158 litres of crude oil in a barrel, about half of which can be refined into petrol. There are reserves, excise and carbon duties of 63.4c/l and vat is paid at 23% on the combination of the raw materials and duties.

Allowing for 4 weeks for oil to get from the refinery to the forecourt, we're using oil that was delivered in July. The average cost was 51.45c/l. The breakdown goes something like *

Category | € c/l
    Raw materials | 51.45
    Excise & NORA | 58.8
    Carbon tax | 4.6
    Margin** | 11.8
    Base Cost | 126.7
    Vat @ 23% | 29.1
    Retail value | 155.8

* Assuming that the oil bought in July was paid for in Euros at the prevail wholesale exchange rate. In reality this is probably 2/3c optimistic as FX rates are usually 3-5c either side of the headline currency rate.

** Margin includes both refinery costs and forecourt margins. Forecourt margins are estimated to be approx 3.5% based on the petrol retailers figures in a presentation given to the CA in 2010.

antoobrien wrote: »
    You must have been southside kev, the northside is about on a par with Galway.

When oil was about $126 dollar earlier (march 13) this year the euro was $1.30 (€96.47). On March 1 oil closed $126.2 with the euro rate being $1.33 - meaning a barrel of oil was nearly €2 cheaper (€94.75)

Least year oil peaked at about $126.22 (not $140) in May when the Libyan crisis was at its peak. The exchange rate at the time was €1=$1.48 (€85/barrel).

If anyone is interested in calculating the raw material costs, there are 158 litres of crude oil in a barrel, about half of which can be refined into petrol. There are reserves, excise and carbon duties of 63.4c/l and vat is paid at 23% on the combination of the raw materials and duties.

Allowing for 4 weeks for oil to get from the refinery to the forecourt, we're using oil that was delivered in July. The average cost was 51.45c/l. The breakdown goes something like *

Category | € c/l
    Raw materials | 51.45
    Excise & NORA | 58.8
    Carbon tax | 4.6
    Margin** | 11.8
    Base Cost | 126.7
    Vat @ 23% | 29.1
    Retail value | 155.8

* Assuming that the oil bought in July was paid for in Euros at the prevail wholesale exchange rate. In reality this is probably 2/3c optimistic as FX rates are usually 3-5c either side of the headline currency rate.

** Based on the petrol retailers figures in a presentation given to the CA in 2010.
    Margins
    Ya anto you could cut the margin to about 3.5 cpl for the filling station, wish it was 11cpl

Dj320 wrote: »
    Margins
    Ya anto you could cut the margin to about 3.5 cpl for the filling station, wish it was 11cpl

I should have state that that includes refinery margins will change.

• Advertisement

Petrol now 172.9 at Topaz

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Hi all I think the title explains the thread!
    Filling it up to the brim today and I want best value for money.
    If you reply thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

as you go over the monivea road pass egans pub , Laffertys pub has a shop next to it and they are 167.9, 156.9 diesel. the petrol is good cos it seems to last longer.used to get it at carnmore but its not the same as mentioned .

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭purplegreendave

I've just come back from Canada and I don't want to own a car any more. Over there it was $1.25/L tops for petrol.
    Where's the cheapest fill in Galway at the moment? I don't use my car an extreme amount (unless I'm leaving town really) already, and now I'll be trying to do it even less

I've just come back from Canada and I don't want to own a car any more. Over there it was $1.25/L tops for petrol.
    Where's the cheapest fill in Galway at the moment? I don't use my car an extreme amount (unless I'm leaving town really) already, and now I'll be trying to do it even less

use http://pumps.ie to find out.

Join the site too (sign in with fb) and help keep it up to date.

Wonder whether it would be worth trying to get petrol stations on board with keeping the site up-to-date. If they are price gouging then no one will use them. I will travel that little bit further to support a station that is trying its best to keep prices low.

I will travel that little bit further to support a station that is trying its best to keep prices low.

A word of caution about that - you'll need to know what your fuel consuption is for it this approach be of benefit to you. I've worked out that it tales a 4c/l differential to make a difference when traveling up to 5 km out of my way (and only for more than 30l of petrol).

From what I've been seeing on pumps, there isn't that big a variation on prices within the city, so it might not save you any money (if that's the intended goal).

antoobrien wrote: »
    A word of caution about that - you'll need to know what your fuel consuption is for it this approach be of benefit to you. I've worked out that it tales a 4c/l differential to make a difference when traveling up to 5 km out of my way (and only for more than 30l of petrol).

From what I've been seeing on pumps, there isn't that big a variation on prices within the city, so it might not save you any money (if that's the intended goal).

Unless the price is 10c cheaper, it's never really going to be economical to save fuel/money by travelling that kind of a distance. It's about making a point and not supporting those who are 2 or 3c above average.

*cough*Topaz*cough*

Unless the price is 10c cheaper, it's never really going to be economical to save fuel/money by travelling that kind of a distance. It's about making a point and not supporting those who are 2 or 3c above average.

*cough*Topaz*cough*
    If you're looking for significant savings, yeah 10c is where it has to be. But (and I've worked this out) a 5 km detour (not out and back) is worth my while (I get an average of 13km/l).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Was passing through Claregalway last night and went into "Great Gas" for petrol.

It's self service, card only. First I'd seen over here, seen loads like that in the US before.

Petrol was 1.58 a litre, cheapest I'd seen around, no staff to pay I guess :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Was passing through Claregalway last night and went into "Great Gas" for petrol.

It's self service, card only. First I'd seen over here, seen loads like that in the US before.

Petrol was 1.58 a litre, cheapest I'd seen around, no staff to pay I guess :)

Saw this as they were erecting the new sign but didn't need petrol.
    This is the place that I reported on in post #323.
    Although I reported it to the Consumer Agency I never heard back from them.
    Now that it might to be under new management I might stop there again.
    But I will keep a check on things again!.
    To my knowledge they only ever had one staff on duty, so can't see any saving there but no cash handling is obviously a saver.

Welll done for posting this. If I'd been on the ball I would have done it.

Advertisement