Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The car petrol and diesel thread....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

€1.46 for diesel in topaz Newcastle today €1.36 in topaz kinnegad yesterday

149.9 for petrol in the Topaz by Silverstrand this morning so prices dropping in Galway, not sure on diesel cost

they haven't dropped enough

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

<Sorry but off topic at best, can get boards in trouble at worst>

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

146.9 for petrol and 138.9 for diesel in Loughrea

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Seen similar in Tuam.

It's amazing how when you come into Galway city it's a few cent higher in almost every retailer. "Coincidence"

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Seen similar in Tuam.

It's amazing how when you come into Galway city it's a few cent higher in almost every retailer. "Coincidence"

Whatever price is quoted in Tuam is usually 5c cheaper in Ballindine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Seen similar in Tuam.

Not "Coincidence" just reflective of the fact that costs of doing business e.g. rates etc. are usually higher in Galway than it would be in say Oranmore. The same thing happens near most of the cities & larger towns in Ireland.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Not "Coincidence" just reflective of the fact that costs of doing business e.g. rates etc. are usually higher in Galway than it would be in say Oranmore. The same thing happens near most of the cities & larger towns in Ireland.

Is the cost of doing business higher in Galway than Cork, Limerick and Dublin?

You think if someone else came in and undercut the other retailers they wouldn't lower the cost? ;)

Is the cost of doing business higher in Galway than Cork, Limerick and Dublin?

Last time I was in Dublin it was about the same cost as it was in Galway. A couple of years ago when I used to work in Dublin, I noticed that the prices were always 2/3c one way or the other (as often as not depending on when deliveries were made).

I remember filling up one morning getting say 142.9/l just as the fuel truck came in for a delivery. Later that day the price was gone up to 144.9/l. At home the following day the same thing happened, the price went up 2c after a delivery.
    You think if someone else came in and undercut the other retailers they wouldn't lower the cost? ;)

Margin for retailers is about 3% or less than 5c/l on petrol priced at 149.9c/l, so there really isn't a whole lot of scope for "undercutting".

The fact of the matter is that somebody charging 5c/l lower than a different company is likely trying to make up the difference elsewhere - be it staff costs, higher prices in the shop etc..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Woodquay petrol now 145.9

• Advertisement

bagels wrote: »
    <Sorry but off topic at best, can get boards in trouble at worst>

Apologies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

antoobrien wrote: »

Not true, it's all down to competition and whether the competition is real or not. Galway has always been 2 or 3c more expensive than dublin / Limerick / cork not to mention claremorris etc. Why? competition, galway City has had the same few operates for years, new competition via top in Flemings has helped and once applegreen opens in the old Renault site prices will allign with the other cities.

In terms of costs most of the petrol stations in galway haven't changed hands in years(in fact topaz own their 3 big sites in galway and haven't invested much in them in the last 15 yrs), wages aren't that materially different for cashiers and the fact the fuel is drawn from galway port mitigates some of the extra costs. And that's not even mentioning the higher turnover galway would have v country stations especially in the higher margin stock

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    Not true, it's all down to competition and whether the competition is real or not. Galway has always been 2 or 3c more expensive than dublin / Limerick / cork

That's a perception not based on fact but based on visiting places once in a blue moon, not regularly seeing the price changes.

I lived In Dublin for years, saw the petrol prices in Dublin fluctuate in the same pattern as they do in Galway. Unhappily for this myth I kept records.

When I'm going to Dublin I often buy petrol to top up the tank, so it's not unusual to have two fills in the weekend. There were two stations I visited in Dublin that had a lower cost/l than in Galway: Tesco when getting the 5c/10c per litre discounts & a fully automated station near Santry (that charged 4c/l less than most of North Dublin).

The cheapest place in Dublin (relative to the other stations) was a fully automated station near Santry - this charged 4c-5c/l less than everywhere else (I wonder why?).

Article in this week's edition of the Connacht Tribune:

http://connachttribune.ie/galway-cars-wrecked-by-petrol-stretching-scam-505/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's €1.39 for diesel in the Topaz at the West Bridge, but they always seem to be a bit dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Article in this week's edition of the Connacht Tribune:

Is it known where the owners of these cars that were wrecked bought the fuel that wrecked them?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭westskipper

Diesel price in Corrib Oil's yard on the Tuam Road, Galway today 3/11/14 is 136.9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

might this have any influence on prices here..

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/competition-consumer-agencies-join-to-form-single-commission-1.1987390

personally I doubt it but maybe if we send in a few new enquires into them they might sniff around to justify their existence

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

diesel €1.41 topaz westside

I was in Limerick the weekend, in various towns. Seen petrol for 1.35 and Diesel for 1.27 in a few places.

Rip off Galway still holding out

• Advertisement

Got diesel today in topaz kilbeggan for €1.31 a litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Diesel in Athleague, Roscommon today was 127.9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Diesel was 135.9 in one of those petrol stations beside the Galway Golf Club in Salthill on Sunday evening, the one nearest the prom.

Wont be long before new Applegreen station is open on Tuam Road, they will probably be quite aggressive on pricing, especially for first few months to establish a customer base.

In Athenry, petrol is 145.9 and diesel is 137.9, while in Loughrea they are 140.9 and 132.9 respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Topaz westside diesel 136.9 petrol 144.9

Cuniffe's of Clonboo (Texaco): thursday Dec 11th:

Petrol 139.9
    Diesel 131.9

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

b.gud wrote: »
    Topaz westside diesel 136.9 petrol 144.9

That's normally one of the more expensive stations around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

That's normally one of the more expensive stations around the city.

I know I was surprised too

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    I know I was surprised too

It's still a rip off

Advertisement