Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left4Dead Freaky Free Friday

Options
  • 30-04-2009 8:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

A good opportunity for those who don't have to try it before they buy
    Beginning Friday at 12:01 am GMT, the PC version of Left 4 Dead will be available for a free 24-hour trial via Steam. The free trial will include access to the recently released Survival Pack DLC, which introduces a new multiplayer game mode and two additional Versus campaigns. Those who wish to give L4D and the Survival Pack a try may now pre-load everything needed to play with no obligation to purchase.

From here

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

damn you got there before me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Already got it pre-loaded :D

Heres to free zombie-slaughtering *raises glass*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

sweet, never got around to playing it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Nice, farm-fresh food for the zombies in vs mode on Friday so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

also if you buy left 4 dead before monday its only 18 euro.

shame I lost my wallet last night and cant buy it online :(

Yes I admit to not buying left 4 dead. I held off because I was torn between two different groups of friends to play it with each planning on getting the pc or the 360 version.

So I waited until one of the groups made their purchase so I had someone I knew to play with.

turns out neither did so I never both the game.

but the free day will hopefully encoruge me to buy a version at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I have it on xbox, cracking game. I have only played the first chapter or so but i love it already.
    My bank holiday weekend is sorted.

I only hope it gets better, whats the verdict lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

is it 18 euro + VAT ?

inc vat it seems, checking right now (got my wallet back. buy buy buy!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Blitz - open to correction here, but I could have sworn I spotted a paypal payment option last time I bought something on Steam...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,294 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

only a few hours left and i havent played the last movie yet! Noooo! :(

Versus is pretty interesting. Playing Hunters is ghey though; I would much rather be able to choose (Boomers ftw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Allowing people to choose would make the game totally unbalanced. Hunters are good if you know how to use them. Fire + huge pounce = massive damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Caoimhín wrote: »
    I have it on xbox, cracking game. I have only played the first chapter or so but i love it already.
    My bank holiday weekend is sorted.

I only hope it gets better, whats the verdict lads?

The verdict: it's horribly frustrating unless you happen to play with a good set of randomers or with friends.

Ah to be fair I've been playing it on EZ and normal. Got pretty far in that advanced but there was just no way we were going to hold out for that refeuling like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Overheal wrote: »
    Ah to be fair I've been playing it on EZ and normal. Got pretty far in that advanced but there was just no way we were going to hold out for that refeuling like that.

If you are finding it difficult then just secure yourselves in the room located at the other end of the map. If you follow the direction the front of the fuel truck is facing you should find it. The only trick part is braking when the tank comes.

Alternatively you can also hide out behind the plane with you backs against the broken containers that are x2 high. It's close to your final escape route, the boomers, hunters and smokers are much easier to pick off (smoker usually keeps hitting the side of the plane), you can keep running around the plane when the tank comes and gradually pick him off (he can run faster than you in a straight line if he is burning) and you are also nearer the ammo. The only problem is that the horde sometimes spawns on either side where the containers are only 1 high, but a hail of M16 and auto shotty fire will take care of them no problem.

its over :(

me sad :(

I was really getting into versus mode.

At least I got to be the tank just once...

Twice. But the first time I got turned around and lost control. The second time the fecker had an M16 at range. Oh I messed them up good and had 2 of them dying on the ground, but they recovered :mad:

I wiped out a team when I was tank, It was on the first chapter of Dead Air and I got the jump on them and sent two over the edge so that they were in the hanging on animation and then crushed the rest of them until my team mates caught up and pinned them as hunters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Valve's stunt worked and I'll pick it up for €18.
    Was good fun. Enjoyed the versus mode the most. Gets really good when you're playing with friends.
    Had played the original demo before launch and didn't (and still don't) think it's worth what they were asking for it. There are so few different enemies and the weapons are all pretty much the same (scoping with the middle mouse is retarded).

hmmm maybe its because I havnt shut down steam since it ended but I can still boot up the game and play single player (not multiplayer though :( )

Single player is a b*tch with those final moments trying to get on the da chopper.

but i lost all my achievements :(

which was a shame as I racked up quite a few of them before time ran out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I honestly can't see how someone can think it isn't worth it. It's worth far more than I paid for it, and I bought it retail. At launch. Twice!
    It came out in November and I still play it several times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭omerin

the addition of the survival mode has given it a new lease of life and its well worth the money. it can be frustrating when it takes 3 or 4 minutes to set up the petrol and gas canisters only to be hit by a tank after an minute and a half and loose your life :D

TAAAAAANK!!!!

Survival mode is frustrating and versus is fullll of ragequitters (though it can often be fun). Not that I mind campaign mode but this game will take a while imo to live up to the $25 I spent on it :o

Advertisement