Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sealant for plywood

Options
  • 30-04-2009 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a (preferably non-toxic) sealant for WBP plywood? The wood is to be used for the internals of a chicken house and I'd like to seal the wood to aid cleaning before the chickens take up residency. I've got a tin of water-based varnish which I think I'll just go with... but am open to suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I reckon the water based varnish is your best bet. Another alternative might be to oil the wood with a vegetable oil- cheap and quick but it won't last forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

I used two part epoxy for sealing the inside of a plywood ( with glass front! ) fishtank that I made, if it didn't kill the fish then it probably wouldn't kill chickens. It was called epiglass two part epoxy. I got it from a Chandlery in Ballymount. I think they were called Windmill Leisure. When I look them up online it says now that they are in Monkstown. Maybe they moved. Basically I just coated the inside of the tank with two coats of that after I had built it. You could probabaly do it before you build and with the fact that it will not be under water you shouldn't need to be as stringent as I had to be with the coats.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

I'd be very careful what I put my chickens on. you could contact the EPA or HSA or the Poultry Division in the Department of Agriculture for advice, as even the tiniest amount of substance could have adverse effect on the chicken or you once you eat them!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

You're not going to eat them are you? Say it ain't so! These are pet chickens, the chickens you eat grow on shelves in Tesco :)

mmmmm roast chicken :D

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

No, we're just getting them for the eggs... although I am partial to roast chicken so you never know. :D I've already put a coat of clear water-based varnish on the wbp board and will be putting another coat on this evening as the ladies are arriving on Saturday.

Will post some pics next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

Contaminant transfer into the eggs is quite efficient in chickens, so again, I would advise that you seek more advice on this.

Advertisement