Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice on building regulations?

Options
  • 30-04-2009 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Im about to go ahead with a purchase of a new house. Its a semi and I just had some questions I hoped to get advice on. I have heard from a few sources that the sound insulation between the houses in the development isnt great i.e the adjoining wall.. Is there a certain standard new houses have to be. Is there a certain test carried out that they have pass? I would really want this sorted before purchasing. Do I have the right to demand that the builder rectifies this before I buy? Would I have to front the cost of getting this test done? Is sound insulation part of the BER test? Ok hope someone can give me advice on this:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

mickus40 wrote: »
    Im about to go ahead with a purchase of a new house. Its a semi and I just had some questions I hoped to get advice on. I have heard from a few sources that the sound insulation between the houses in the development isnt great i.e the adjoining wall.. Is there a certain standard new houses have to be. Is there a certain test carried out that they have pass? I would really want this sorted before purchasing. Do I have the right to demand that the builder rectifies this before I buy? Would I have to front the cost of getting this test done? Is sound insulation part of the BER test? Ok hope someone can give me advice on this:)

The Department of the Environment will be able to help you mate.

888 2000 and ask to be put through to "Building Standards".

I know there were regs on this in 1997 but don't know if they were updated.

This link will be helpful, "Part E" relates to Sound.

http://www.environ.ie/en/TGD/

I know that some new builds get a sound test carried out (there are two tests to be done) but I don't know if these are mandatory.

If the build fails these tests then the house is not built to standard and the builder is 100% liable to rectify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mickus40

Thanks a lot bobby, will have a look at that. Cheers for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Drop next door and ask.

Then ask them to crank up the stereo when you are next door.

Advertisement